Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WATERBERG Two Day Ride. Ride Report.  (Read 1289 times)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
WATERBERG Two Day Ride. Ride Report.
« on: May 26, 2008, 01:48:25 pm »
Took some guy's and gal's for a two day ride this past week-end to the Waterberg. One of my favourite area's up North in Limpopo. ;) The group consisted of Jules and Li, Tinus and Marlene, Splash, AdventureBoy, Martin and myself. We left at about 7.45 am up to Rooiberg trying to avoid the tar roads as far as possible. Here we are about 12km's outside Pretoria and the WD's are doing the Shongalola walk for us ::)The HP2 that was going to come along , did not want to start >:(

People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
Re: WATERBERG Two Day Ride. Ride Report.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:57:29 pm »
From here we regrouped at Boekenhoutkloof. The road was just right this time of the morning with enough dampness to keep the dust from becoming a problem.
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:09:02 pm »
From Boekenhoutkloof we all moved along past Rust De Winter Dam and onto PienaarsRiver and then to Droesloot wher we had some Refreshments and etc.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 02:16:44 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:23:34 pm »
Jules  trying to figure out where he left Li ;D Racing off into the distance. Time for Refreshments ;)
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:32:55 pm »
So off to Rooiberg and Koekoepan for a quick bite to eat. Morbid lot at the bar as the Shark's were busy losing  ???Then off on gravel to Vaalwater for fuel.
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:47:47 pm »
Just before reaching Vaalwater i decided to hit some tar over the pass into town. Look what greeted us. Braaivleis ala Vaalwater. We hit a right and the cops allowed us to pass but kept the cars back ;D Our Destination. Windsong cottages otherside of Vaalwater ( nosong)
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 03:07:13 pm »
So as things work out we need to eat and NO one is very keen to ride the last 2km in and out of the farm as the road as the sand they tell me was thick ???And then the 21km to town. So Albert,Tinus,Jules and myself head back to town at the speed of light as the sun was setting fast and we did not want to get back in total darkness.Got enough pasta, boerewors,rolls, chips,mixer rolls,cheese and bread for under R40,00 per person. Li and Marlene slapped up a cool supper and Martin dished out his Whisky as if there was no tomorrow, Stayed up late and talked k@rk and went off to sleep and some i hear even dreamt of How they were going to get out of the little bit of sand that Klapped them on the day before. Some even were thinking of being air-lifted out i heard. ???
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 03:26:23 pm »
So now that we were settled in ??? FOOD. Yes we need to eat and no one wanted to ride the 2km road out of the farm as they say the sand was badddd ??? Well eventually Tinus myself , Splash and Jules hit the road back to town for some supplies at the speed of light as the sun was setting fast and one does not want to get caught at night on those roads. When getting back L and Marlene slapped a great meal together and Martin was dishing out his Whisky. We heard afterwards that the group that stayed at the cottages were contenplating on arranging to be air-lifted out the next morning ;D We we all had a great evening and went to sleep. Some had nightmares about the sand that faced them the next morning :( Well the sand was damp from the night before and was not a problem i hear for most.
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 03:35:56 pm »
Sunday we all left and at one point Marlene and Tinus as well as Jules and Li felt it was time to move on home as Tinus had flu and Li was not feeling comfortable. But first Jules had to have a quick Pomp before he left us ;D His word's were---- a pomp's a pomp. :o
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:46:41 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 03:53:17 pm »
The road we came from--the road we are going to. From here i decided to route the four of us back on a road i travelled on and that is closed due to serious soil errosion. The locals have tried to repair it but they have had very little success.
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 04:10:32 pm »
And still the awesome road continues.
Current Scooters --

Offline Splash

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 04:16:03 pm »
One or two or a few more pictures
Have bike, will ride.

Offline Splash

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 04:22:54 pm »
Okay, one more.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 04:59:25 pm »
Well i then took a route along towards Lapalal Nature Reserve not knowing if we would be able to get through. As we arrived a lady and her daughter were parked outside this big game gate ??? NO-ENTRY.
Where are You going she asked me---- so i told her. Our hearts sank into our boots and we were about to turn back when she said. Her key for the gate was not working and that the gatekeeper was on his way with new keys and that he has a working radio in his vechile and she will try to get permission for us to ride through as the Park is now closed to all Tourists and public :(. Not even fifteen minutes and the keys arrived. On to the radio she gets and less than 5 minutes she returns and say's you can ride through ;D Ride slowly as there are Rhino and try to keep the noise down. Man i love these Farmers and this country. But i wonder if it was Splash she had a eye on or Martin with his ( I am the oldest Bachelor in town look---Take me home and change me) or AdventureBoy with his Teddy bear look that say's Hugggggg me ;D  Nevertheless here are some pics. After this i put my camera away as nothing could top this for the day. Riding amongst wild animals from Impala to Bluewidebees and Warthog's and Kudu and swerving out for fresh Rhino dung. Back to Vaalwater for lunch and then to Pretoria back by 5.30. Off to Kruger this week-end. Trying to get permission to ride in Kruger with some Rangers who have AT's if i can swing this it will be a future ride with Rangers up front and rear and sleeping in a tented camp. Keep your fingers crossed. Thank's to all who came along and made the ride possible ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:04:53 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline Jules

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Living with "LevenNinetyItis" and Loving it
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 07:10:41 pm »
What a weekend  ;D

Blazes, thanks a lot for planing and leading the ride it was fantastic.
I had a ball with all the sand I couldn't get enough!

The route was spectacular, the people where wonderful, what more can one ask for.

Li didn't enjoy the sand as much as I did but still had a great time. ;D

I didn't take too many pics and the ones I did take were much the same as the ones already posted.

We had a nice ride back but had to make a pit stop when my rear wheel finally went completely flat :(
but luckily I had all the tools so the tire was removed and the tube patched and we were on our way.

Thanks again to everyone

Jules
690R Lost but not forgotten
1190R

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 08:49:08 pm »
Blazes as always your ride report drives me nuts. That is truly spectacular - and eish that sand! Thanks for sharing the photies and the story.  :)
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 06:00:39 am »
Pleasure Uncle  ;) Sand ? What Sand ;D
Current Scooters --

Franswest

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 06:50:45 am »
Another great ride :ricky: by Blazes!!!

Welldone!!! Nextime.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 08:03:00 am »
Pleasure Uncle  ;) Sand ? What Sand ;D

Words I will always associate with you ;D.

Nice trip.

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 08:09:05 am »
Great report  and pics - what an area to ride!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com