Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: '07 DR650SE - What is it worth?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Dux

Re: '07 DR650SE - What is it worth?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 11:13:18 am »
A lot of people think that by spending R20k changing a bike it adds R20k to it's value, pity. I'm also seeing a lot of XR650L's recently too, at around the same price as the DR's although, there are 3 Honda's for every single DR. Were they sold at the same price point?
Don't know why but I never liked the 650L, it's very tall always had sub frame concerns. Heard of some oil usage as well, always played second fiddle to the XR600R and XR650R (yes I know they were different type of bikes). For me it would be DR all the way !

Both the DR and the XRl are brilliant bikes -

Sidetrack, the DR is oil and air cooled which means it will run cooler and use less oil than the XR.
The fix on the XR subframe is quick and easy
You can't compare the L and the R - one is a racing machine and one an agricultural bike that will last forever.
Had 6 DR's and 16 XR's - Never had any issues with any of them. If I had to choose, it would have to be the XR - just because of the fork travel and height. I am 1,96m though

Agree with Hardy , I work on the bikes and see a lot , had to rebuild engines on both and I have done good mileage on both .
Both have proĎs and conís  , if you look at the specs they are very close , but both are very different bikes , so I will maybe break it down in points .
Comfort : XR saddle more comfortable , Seat Concepts do a great seat for the DR
Ergonomics : Both good , DR better for shorter riders and vice versa
Suspension : XR definitely has superior suspension feel , can be improved on the DR but pricey , both are sprung for lighter riders so weight related springs advisable .
Brakes : DR by far , although an oversize disc works wonders on the XR
Engine :  For road use I rate the DR , smoother at highway speeds , off-road the XR with its punchy bottom end works wonders
Reliability : Both good , I have repaired engine failures on both , the XR can use a bit of oil but an oil cooler makes a big difference . But decent oil and servicing go a long way .
Accessories : XR by far , so much more available for the XR , it is possible to do a complete engine rebuild on the XR using only aftermarket spares , there is just so much more available for the XR .
But the best is to ride them and decide which is best for the use and application .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Heddles

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 09:59:15 pm »
An old thread but a bike I have always rated highly and owned only one but an eighties 500 as well.

In my opinion, the nicest and best out of the four that were kept alive long after carbs and air cooled engines had passed their sell by date.

I owned a 650 around 2010 and sold it after having owned it for about six months. More survival and not really knowing what the future holds. I always said Iíd own another one. It took almost ten years but I did. And itís a beaut with less than 30000 kms on it.
Stock bike with only a top box fitted. If itís been ridden off-road, it certainly doesnít show.

Point of me posting..? I donít know really.. Probably mostly to say that when I did start looking about two years ago, the number Iíd really nice ones has dropped. There have even been clusters of XRLs advertised but DR for sale is super rare. I think mainly because once the guys have them, they hang on to them. I maybe paid a bit much for it but that is purely out of respect for an owner who has looked after his bike.
What am I going to do with it..? I donít know really. Probably preserve it and ride it occasionally.
But now I can say I have one again.
Why do I have such a love for them..? Well I have read many articles similar to this.. and all have DRs as the chosen tool.

https://riders.drivemag.com/news/couple-takes-an-adventure-trip-through-south-america-on-dr-650/

Offline petri oosthuizen

• Vendors
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 05:16:54 am »
So what? It's a conversation....?

Edit: Ahh you taking to someone else  :pot:

Yes chatting about the value of a bike is fine but people offering to buy a bike from 5 yrs ago  ???

So?? How do you actually know its sold??

And yes apologies I did not see the Date of the Thread, but that started a conversation on a DAMN nice bike, the 650 SE.

No harm done really - or is there??
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:18:45 am by petri oosthuizen »
XT 600 Tenere

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 11:55:34 am »
no harm - just dont get your hopes up that it is still for sale  ;D