Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BoosterPlug for R1200GS LC  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
BoosterPlug for R1200GS LC
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:01:05 am »
BoosterPlugs are now available for the R1200GS and R1200GS LC.
BMWs run too lean, causing all kinds of issues. The BoosterPlug makes a the engine run richer just under acceleration to overcome classic problems like pinging, hunting, lack of low rpm response and sensitive throttles.
The BoosterPlug fixes the flat spot at 120km/h on LCs.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
Re: BoosterPlug for R1200GS LC
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:56:29 pm »
Myne het geen flat spots nie ???
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 06:36:03 pm »
I asked on the other forum when you advertised this, but there was no reply. What is the difference between this and the accelerator module? They both plug inline with the bike's air temp sensor?

Edit: No flat spot on my bike either.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:37:20 pm by OomD »

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:40 pm »
BP and AM pretty much the same thing,  but "invented"  and then marketed by different clever dudes.

If memory serves,  the BP does not have its own temperature probe.

No flat spots on my or my bike either.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:22:29 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 11:07:36 pm »
Yip. indeed - no flat spot at any (reasonable) speed.  Only upright spot  :biggrin:
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:17:14 am »
Feedback I had from LC riders installing is that there is a hesitancy to pick up revs in higher gear - 4000rpm at 120km/h accelerating to 140km/h. Bike pulls through smoothly after installation of a BoosterPlug. I don't ride one and can go on feedback only.
The two gentlemen has different views on the units. One tapers the effect towards 0C while the other says that it holds no significance to an engine. It is just another reference point on a scale. The BoosterPlug compensates at evenly 6% from -30C till 50C.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:23:33 am »
There is a lot of electronics at play when accelerating with the new LC.  So unless you can eliminate ALL traction control effects under acceleration (and then compare with and without the BP), it would be difficult to say what is ascribed to fuel mapping or TC or anything else.  I remain sceptical of fitting one.  I have never experienced pinging or flat spots, but I have experienced TC kicking in on a wet, slippery road.  It also felt like a flat spot but probably saved my bacon.  I think best is to leave well alone.

Offline Antois

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 11:07:22 am »
Mine was running extremely lean as well but made a huge difference after I fitted an AC module.

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 02:57:03 pm »
There is a lot of electronics at play when accelerating with the new LC.  So unless you can eliminate ALL traction control effects under acceleration (and then compare with and without the BP), it would be difficult to say what is ascribed to fuel mapping or TC or anything else.  I remain sceptical of fitting one.  I have never experienced pinging or flat spots, but I have experienced TC kicking in on a wet, slippery road.  It also felt like a flat spot but probably saved my bacon.  I think best is to leave well alone.

We are currently looking at an interesting thing.  My wife and I have 2014 spec LC's.  Mine seldom pings and then only under the most adverse conditions.  Her's pings quite easily under acceleration, but her's pulls harder than mine.  Possibly an ignition timing thing?
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 09:43:47 pm »
Boosterplug AGAIN I have yet to ride a LC with a flatspot

Online Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 05:33:05 am »
Just so I understand this right. The LC also runs too lean and pings? Not all but some?

Other than my 800gs I had this issue on all my BMW'S. 1150 single spark,1200gs normal and hex head and the worst of the lot was my new Sertao. I fitted the Booster plug to both the 1200,s and now the Sertao and it cured the pinging. Granted on the Sertao BMW also sent out an ECU software upgrade. While I can't comment on the flat spot issues In my experience they work in pinging department

@Thebear it would be interesting if you could try one on your wife's bike and report if it helps cure the pinging?
Pass this way once!

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 05:23:56 pm »
Just so I understand this right. The LC also runs too lean and pings? Not all but some?

Other than my 800gs I had this issue on all my BMW'S. 1150 single spark,1200gs normal and hex head and the worst of the lot was my new Sertao. I fitted the Booster plug to both the 1200,s and now the Sertao and it cured the pinging. Granted on the Sertao BMW also sent out an ECU software upgrade. While I can't comment on the flat spot issues In my experience they work in pinging department

@Thebear it would be interesting if you could try one on your wife's bike and report if it helps cure the pinging?

It would be interesting.   I did try the AM from my 09 model,  but that made no difference,  possibly the incorrect resistance,  or something.   When on leave in later I will take her bike into Bavarian and ask them to check it out.

(She can't.  Due to ankle operation she is on crutches and moon boot)
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Charlie600

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 12:42:23 pm »
What exactly is this flat spot at 120km/h that's constantly being referred to? I tested my K51 under a number of variances in number of gears but don't seem to experience the flat spot in question?

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 06:13:52 pm »
What exactly is this flat spot at 120km/h that's constantly being referred to? I tested my K51 under a number of variances in number of gears but don't seem to experience the flat spot in question?
It's a marketing term invented to convince you that you need this booster plug thing.

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 07:36:34 am »
It's a marketing term invented to convince you that you need this booster plug thing.
:laughing4: :deal: :laughing4: :deal:
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline lecap

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 08:35:09 am »

That's exactly what the Kawasaki dealers told KLR owners about the Eagle lever for two decades :evil6:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 11:08:57 am »

That's exactly what the Kawasaki dealers told KLR owners about the Eagle lever for two decades :evil6:

I am not sure that the two arguments are comparable.  Are pinging and flat spots on the K51 a well documented and universally accepted problem?

Offline K-9

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 01:00:34 pm »

what flat spot...............  maybe for some, it is the hesitation...  of the wrist........  just before we cruise past the speed limit on the freeway??

no flat spot on my GSA LC
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline eddyVN

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 09:46:11 am »
What the heck is Pinging? sorry if I'm out of the loop here... (haha, pun intended I think the PB only works in a closed loop)

But the only pinging I can think of is when you hit the rev limiter :)

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »
What the heck is Pinging? sorry if I'm out of the loop here... (haha, pun intended I think the PB only works in a closed loop)

But the only pinging I can think of is when you hit the rev limiter :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

I must say that while my (previous, 2014 LC) bike has no flat spot, it pinged when used in dyna mode. My GSA does not ping at all.