Fuel pump on a TE 610

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straatkat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
My bike has left me stranded  3 times now, every time when I ride 50+ kms the bike cuts out and dies. When I turn the ignition on the fuel pump does not prime. Then I have to make the dreaded call to be collected with the bakkie..... then the next day it starts right up like nothing happened. Due to work pressure I have left it for a while, but need to get my Husky fixed as a Swazi Hardcore ride is looming in a weeks time.
Yesterday I took the tank off to free up the electrical connector of the fuel pump that was tie wrapped to the frame under the tank. The idea is to ride untill it cuts out and then disconnect the fuel pump plug and check for power to the pump. If no power at the plug the fault lies elsewhere. If there is power the pump needs replacement. To prepare for this eventuality I purchased a Bosch universal pump which I will have to make fit as it is quite a bit larger than the original made in China fuel pump. My thinking is that I will also buy a fuel injection filter and replace that as well. The original piping that can be seen in the pic seems high quality as these pipes live inside the tank and is always submerged in fuel. Where am I going to get some pipe that can do that?  Most of the pipe that I have seen for sale ar spares shops are rather crappy.
Can I use hose clamps or is the fuel pressure too high? The original pipes have those moerava strong crimped fittings.
I realise that it might not be the pump and untill I do the test ride wont know for sure, but changing the pump to an universally available (Midas R550) unit that is affordable seems a good upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_20151204_180319.jpg
    IMG_20151204_180319.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20151204_180446.jpg
    IMG_20151204_180446.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 218