2 Thumpers; 11,5hrs; 620k's; & the Baviaans...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRRX

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
So my friend the "Soutie" talked me into this little marathon - I'm getting to old for this sh^t !!!  :patch:
We met up at Shell across the Garden Route Mall yesterday morning at 5 am. After filling the bikes and some coffee - we were off - direction Humansdorp into the fog ... Passing through Knysna was a real pleasure - cause everyone were still sleeping!  :peepwall:
Turned off at Natures Valley to take the picturistic route through the Bloukrans Pass. The EC side is now really getting dangerous, with lots of rock falls !!
At Stormsriver we stopped for a "Storm-brekkie" and fuel. To make up time we stuck to the N2 till the turn-off to Hankey.
In Hankey the "Soutie" had a close call with a parliamentarian turning in right in front of him - fortunately we were going slow as we were expecting these kind of behaviour in that little place !!  :xxbah:

Re-fuel in Patensie - It was getting seriously hot by now!! And then the marvellous Baviaans - with the EC side now the roughest I've ever experienced it - even in the current dry conditions - and boy the dust ...  Smitskraal has quite a lot of water though, but the terra firma underneath is not at all terra nor firm - being covered level now (even the section in the middle that was always a "twee spoor") with very unstable round river stone covered in slime all over ...  Not long after Smitskraal we stopped at the wide concrete drift with the "lekka swemgat" - for a thorough cooling down in the fresh mountain water !!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Then it was on - next stop a quick smoke at the exit gate, some of the drifts between Smitskraal and the gate is really deep now, surprising us a bit - not that we've mind, cause the subsequent splash all over the bike and rider was really welcome in the heat!!
Uitspan couldn't arrive any sooner, for a few well deserved cold ones!!  :biggrin: Feeling refreshed now - well almost a bit too lazy to ride any further - we decided to continue - not giving in to temptation to have more cold ones and sleep over ...  ;)

We met up with the tar again 10k's from Uniondale, re-fuelled there and continued into a strong head wind through the Langkloof. Last bit of fun was the Montagu Pass before we ended a great ride at the Dros around 16:45 ...
Both bikes and riders had a serious work-out !! :ricky:
Apologies for the few and bleak pictures by my ancient Nokia ...  :-[

Attachments

• Photo0216.jpg
    Photo0216.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 633
  • Photo0217.jpg
    Photo0217.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 633
  • Photo0218.jpg
    Photo0218.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 630