Help with light D/S Bike please - Reward offered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
I spent the last two weeks searching on about every forum worldwide, but are not one inch closer to the holy grail.  The problem is that I want an iconic kick-ass bike - like the XR650R of yesteryear.

My requirements is to do similar terrain than that of our enduro's in the Western Cape (Not as tough as a WFO in Natal) albeit on a slower pace than on my KTM 450 EXC (no chance of me getting in the top 5, even the senior class, anyway) and to do short trips of maximum 500 km per day for a day or three on gravel and jeep tracks.  Therefore no need to carry heavy equipment around, I will manage with a tent, smallish back-pack, tankbag (like wolfman's), front fender bag and bum bag.

First option was to upgrade my KTM 450 EXC (Long range tank already fitted) with an oil cooler, comfy seat and a big bore kit to something that can do 120 km/h comfortably with the possibility of a top speed of aroud 160 Km/h.  Almost everybody (KTM talk, ADVrider, ThumperTalk and two well respected KTM mechanics in Cape Town) are certain that I will blow the engine on a flat-out 500 km trip to Loxton or on something like the Kois rally.  Staying at around 110 km/h and it will last forever.  Coupled to this option is selling my bike and getting a 525XC with a longer 4th, 5th and 6 gear - investigation pending.

Second option was to get a KTM 625 SX, but not a lot of those around and not a lot written about it either (except KTM Bigger).

Third option is to get the Honda XR650R, but eish, it is heavy and no happy button.

Fourth is a Suzuki DRZ400, but then again it sounded (On this forum and elsewhere) if this was more suited for beginners and ladies.  Now before I get kicked off this forum, I am no David Knight, as a matter of fact I am rather middle of the pack.  Also a lot of ladies had beaten me in almost every aspect of life so no offence intended.  It is just that I want an iconic kick-ass bike without necessarily having the ability to ride it properly.  Yes maybe I am a poser, but then it is my money and I want to spend it on something that looks the part.

Five, six, seven and eight are the KTM 640, new KTM690, 950 Super Enduro or BMW H,P but is way to expensive for me.

So what else, KLR650 to much of a tourer, X-Challenge not for enduro's, XT660 to big ....

The biggest problem I have is that I know my bike and take pride in the fact that it is in immaculate condition and would rather modify it to suit my requirements than to sell it in the depressed second hand plastic bike market.

Five cases (6's) of our award winning Riebeek Cellars Collection for the dog that can show me the way.