Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike/car oils. An interesting read  (Read 9053 times)

Offline BlueAlp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp

Offline 2wdrift

Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:04:09 pm »
I always thought that the difference could not be as big as the claims are. Otherwise why not run motorcycle oil in your car?

Something I have found is when I use Liqui moly's additive ceratec in my car I got 10% better fuel consumption and the engine sounded quieter and it feels smoother. But it wont work with a wet clutch sadly.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Bike/car oils. An interesting read
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »
I have been saying for a long time that one of the big farces is KTM and Motorex.

I use KTM as an example, but same goes for most bike brands. I have been using car oil in bikes for years, and with some very high mileage results.

It is not about the rand saving so much, but about the fact that I am no fool. I will not pay more for bullshit.

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:31:00 pm »
I have been saying for a long time that one of the big farces is KTM and Motorex.

I'm pretty sure you are correct on this. Marketing........money.

The oils tested in the link had interesting results but it is not really relevant to our situations.
It would be interesting if somebody did some local testing.......we have excellent facilities locally, there are companies that can do that.
It will cost a couple of bucks but it would surely be an eye-opener. I'll bet a $ or 2 on that..........
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline BatmanGS

• Pack Dog
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:56:40 pm »
Thanks BluAlp very interesting read.

I wonder if they have done some similar info on Two Stroke oils.

Most 2 stroke oils synthetic or otherwise that are used in the Chainsaw/Forestry  industry are of very good quality and generally a lot cheaper 
'It's not what you Ride ...........It's who YOU ride with'

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 11:19:10 pm »
I wonder if they have done some similar info on Two Stroke oils.

I have no idea how 2-stroke oils are tested.
I can only imagine they measure the wear on components like rings & pistons?
Completely different ball-game.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:48:18 am »

I use KTM as an example, but same goes for most bike brands. I have been using car oil in bikes for years, and with some very high mileage results.

It is not about the rand saving so much, but about the fact that I am no fool. I will not pay more for bullshit.

Wat sit jy in die 690?

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:57:04 am »
I could not find Mobil 1 in South Africa, but I'm in the arse-end of the country.  Imported it through eBay for about R75 a litre.   Must say that shift quality of the 690 remains much better for much longer than with equivalent Motul and Motorex. 

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR W‹RTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 12:19:42 pm »
I've been using Castrol GTX 20W50 in my bike for more than 11yrs now.....never had a day's problem

I've even used Motul's car oil in the bike without any issues.
In my opinion it's not worth it to pay extra for "bike oil" if normal "car oil" (often cheaper) does the same thing just as well
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:42:39 pm »
No one invests more into research to determine the right lubrication for a particular application than the manufacturers themselves, in collaboration with the oil companies.
They do this before they write The Book.
R.T.F.B. and you won't go wrong.  :deal:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 01:52:35 pm »
Are you saying to use Motul if your boekie says so?

Offline plonker

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 06:17:46 pm »
I've been using Castrol GTX 20W50 in my bike for more than 11yrs now.....never had a day's problem

I've even used Motul's car oil in the bike without any issues.
In my opinion it's not worth it to pay extra for "bike oil" if normal "car oil" (often cheaper) does the same thing just as well

It looks like you ride a 1150 which has a dry clutch and the older boxer motor is fine on car oils , but not sure if I would like to run a 1000 R superbike on car oil or any modern bike engine. But if you use Castrol bike oil you will be good and it is cheaper than Motul and Motrex and all the other fancy bike brands.
Remember modern bike oil must also protect the gears as they also run in the engine oil and the boxer doesn't.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 08:31:41 pm »

Wat sit jy in die 690?

Indy 10W40 sinteties.

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 08:42:34 pm »

I fully agree with you 2SD - I have generally only used highest API spec oil available with good result. This being petrol and diesel spec. My Honda Blackbird has over 70 000km and runs sweet. No issues, no clutch slipping. A friend of mine who happens to be a Yamaha dealer took it for a ride recently and was very impressed with the smoothness of motor. But then it is a fine motor. I haven't even had to attend to chain tensioner that is supposed to ne
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 08:51:41 pm »
I. haven't bought oil for a car of a bike for some years,  but is there really such a big price difference,  for some. spec oil,  if not bought from an OEM dealer?   For argument sake,  would a 20W40 for cars,  or bikes be that different in price?

A fully synthetic for cars, like Castrol don't seem that much cheaper (if memory serves)  than the same spec Castrol of for bikes.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 09:26:38 pm »
There is a huge price difference between Castrol and Motorex though.

OK, I know that if you do not use the Motorex in any KTM, it will immediately blow up spectacularly. The agents says so. :pot:

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 09:41:59 pm »
I haven't bought oil for a car of a bike for some years,  but is there really such a big price difference,  for some spec oil,  if not bought from an OEM dealer? 

Well the discussion is about what you can get away with vs. what the dealers push from the showroom.
Motorex has been R 200/litre many moons ago, probably more now.

I personally think a thorough technical test is due, maybe by a biking magazine?

As stated, if I had a 1150 I would run Castrol GTX. If you run a 1190, different ball game..... what will do and what service intervals?
I personally think air-cooled motors are more sensitive to oil quality, talking about old air cooled thumpers & superbikes.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline Bensien

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 10:30:24 pm »

OK, I know that if you do not use the Motorex in any KTM, it will immediately blow up spectacularly. The agents says so. :pot:

You canít compare an API group V, ester based synthetic like Motorex with a Group III, hydrocracked petroleum based  one like Castrol Power 1. All ester based synthetics are very expensive. Indyís ester based motorcycle oil ( 4T Moto) sells for R175 per litre, which is not much less than Motorex  Powersynt 10W60 or Motul 7100
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 07:32:12 am »

You canít compare an API group V, ester based synthetic like Motorex with a Group III, hydrocracked petroleum based  one like Castrol Power 1. All ester based synthetics are very expensive. Indyís ester based motorcycle oil ( 4T Moto) sells for R175 per litre, which is not much less than Motorex  Powersynt 10W60 or Motul 7100

My point is not the price so much, but that if you stick to your service intervals, you can run a high-tech, high performance motorcycle on base oils.
With base oil I refer to an oil without additives that could affect a dry clutch.
One of the highest mileage 640's I have ever seen personally, it did 94000kms before the engine had to be opened because of overheating due to a cracked radiator tank, was run on Castrol GTX all it's life. This despite the fact that "knowledgable experts" warned the owner that his engine would not last unless he uses Motorex.
Scare-mongering makes a lot of people buy expensive oil.
If you are one to regularly exceed you service intervals by a huge margin, use a oil that keeps it's viscosity index for longer.
Service intervals are considered by manufacturers bearing the fact inmind that many of their bikes will actually not see top oils.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 08:30:15 am »

The problem I have with KTM and Motorex is that the new Huskies are supposed to use Belray.  Same engines.  Al marketing BS.