Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike/car oils. An interesting read  (Read 9054 times)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Bike/car oils. An interesting read
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 08:34:13 am »
There is a huge price difference between Castrol and Motorex though.

I have never even heard of Motorex, but my point is purely to compare apples with apples, or reasonable facsimile thereof.  Say Castrol Supa Dupa for cars with Castrol Supa Dupa for bikes.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 09:09:02 am »
Castrol Supa Dupa

Probleem is jou LC gaan nie hou van die kar Supa Dupa nie :deal: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Bensien

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 09:39:58 am »

I have never even heard of Motorex, but my point is purely to compare apples with apples, or reasonable facsimile thereof.  Say Castrol Supa Dupa for cars with Castrol Supa Dupa for bikes.

The manufacturers canít add the cheap and plentiful additives they use in cars oils, when making bike oils. They have to be a lot more selective in order to prevent clutch contamination etc.

Secondly, the car oil market is a lot bigger and allows a manufacturer to leverage economies of scale, which reduces the unit cost substantially.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Dux

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 10:26:09 am »
I haven't bought oil for a car of a bike for some years,  but is there really such a big price difference,  for some spec oil,  if not bought from an OEM dealer? 

Well the discussion is about what you can get away with vs. what the dealers push from the showroom.
Motorex has been R 200/litre many moons ago, probably more now.

I personally think a thorough technical test is due, maybe by a biking magazine?

As stated, if I had a 1150 I would run Castrol GTX. If you run a 1190, different ball game..... what will do and what service intervals?
I personally think air-cooled motors are more sensitive to oil quality, talking about old air cooled thumpers & superbikes.

This comparative test was from the 90's , so it is anywhere between 15 and 25 years old depending on exactly when it was done , so a test on current oils would be a lot more relative .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 05:55:31 pm »
Castrol Supa Dupa

Smaak my jy het die vraag nie verstaan nie.     :deal:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »
Castrol Supa Dupa

Jy moet afrikaans praat......

The problem is that Castrol MotorX and Castrol BikeX might have similar ratings and even base oils, but can't really be compared because of the difference in end product additives. Modern bike oils, for instance, must cope with the wet clutch, with gearbox duty and still be suitable for crank and cam protection. Where in a car, the gearbox oil can be very spesific, dry clutch and again crank/cam lubrication can be really single focused.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 06:41:25 pm »
Castrol Supa Dupa

Jy moet afrikaans praat......

The problem is that Castrol MotorX and Castrol BikeX might have similar ratings and even base oils, but can't really be compared because of the difference in end product additives. Modern bike oils, for instance, must cope with the wet clutch, with gearbox duty and still be suitable for crank and cam protection. Where in a car, the gearbox oil can be very spesific, dry clutch and again crank/cam lubrication can be really single focused.

I understand what you described.

My question was related to price.. So,  is 1 liter of Castrol Motor X a lot cheaper than Castrol Bike X?   
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 06:47:04 pm »

OK, I know that if you do not use the Motorex in any KTM, it will immediately blow up spectacularly. The agents says so. :pot:

The problem I have with KTM and Motorex is that the new Huskies are supposed to use Belray.  Same engines.  Al marketing BS.

Exactly!

Please note that I amnot advocating the use of inferior oils, just that marketing should not take money out of your purse.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2015, 06:47:19 pm »
I understand what you described.

My question was related to price.. So,  is 1 liter of Castrol Motor X a lot cheaper than Castrol Bike X?  

Yes. A very good synthetic MotorX will be R350-R500/5L where a very good synthetic BikeX are around R180-R200/1L.

But like mentioned before, economies of scale do play a role.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2015, 07:33:01 pm »
Wow!  That is a huge difference.  I have to admit,  since I don't buy oil myself much,  I didn't realise it was that big a difference.   Would it be the same for straight forward minerals oils?   I hope not!   I may have robbed myself of big bucks buying oil for the lawnmowers and tractor from the bike shop,  "while I am here"  and anyway,  who wants to visit a lawnmower shop?    :imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 08:05:52 pm »
I buy synthetic Silkolene bike oil for R89 a litre from an industrial Fuchs outlet (Fuchs owns the Silkolene brand).  Bike shops sell the exact same oil for R190 a litre. Not sure if this counts as economy of scale or something else.

Offline Mapog

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 08:26:18 pm »
Bill, I used Motul in the DR. Changedcevery 2500km. Was also influenced by marketing.------ read some stuff about synthetic oil not that good for some whet clutches.???

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 08:40:58 pm »
Bill, I used Motul in the DR. Changedcevery 2500km. Was also influenced by marketing.------ read some stuff about synthetic oil not that good for some whet clutches.???

One of the great Oil Myths of our time.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 08:42:19 pm »
I buy synthetic Silkolene bike oil for R89 a litre from an industrial Fuchs outlet (Fuchs owns the Silkolene brand).  Bike shops sell the exact same oil for R190 a litre. Not sure if this counts as economy of scale or something else.

R89 versus R190 is obviously a rip-off,  but we were more comparing apples with apples,  I. e.  the same spec oil from the same outlet.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »
Firstly if you change your oil regularly like 2SD said, you can be a little more tolerant of the oil you buy, but this week-end I was riding a Hardcore Swazi ride and my bike fell over quite a few times (ok, ok I suck at extreme technical stuff in 40 deg heat), once I rolled down a hill some 10m and had to scramble back up to turn off the engine which was still running with the bike on it's side.....in these conditions I want the best oil I can get, as I doubt whether the oil pump was picking anything up in that position and all you have between a seized motor is the film of oil that is already in the bearings. Touring on a GS would place a lot less demand on your oil.
I only use Motul 300V (It's cheaper than a engine rebuild)
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 09:15:57 am »

R89 versus R190 is obviously a rip-off,  but we were more comparing apples with apples,  I. e.  the same spec oil from the same outlet.

True, however if we could routinely buy synthetic bike oil at the same price as car oil from bike shops, we would not be having this thread.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 09:17:51 am »

Jy moenie goeie olie op Suzukis mors nie, dit moet in KTMs gaan.

Terg net. :biggrin:

Offline Pullaway

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 09:46:36 am »
Habot used to bring out a synthetic base oil, with probably less marketing involved. Are they still around?
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 11:42:43 am »
Bill which Fuchs do you use?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 01:42:57 pm »
Habot used to bring out a synthetic base oil, with probably less marketing involved. Are they still around?

Yes the factory is in Krugersdorp, they make excellent oil, a lot of the aircraft guys use only their oils.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.