Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Mother of Hard Enduro - Roof of Africa 2015 (ride report)  (Read 7560 times)

Offline Rossdog

Re: Mother of Hard Enduro - Roof of Africa 2015 (ride report)
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 10:25:49 am »
As always, superb report Michiel. Thanks!

Overall, in terms of difficulty, how would you rate the ROA compared to the last day of 2014 Sea to Ski (the infamous Pondo Gates)?

Ah! Good comparison. Sea to Ski obviously has to cover more distance to get the riders to the next
overnight destination but as far as technical difficulty I would say Day 2 at Sea to Ski compared well
to Race Day 1 of Bronze Class with Elephants Trunk and some of those mad downhills Mike made
us ride. Day 3 of Sea to Ski with Pondos and the other crazy stuff could be judged a wee bit more
difficult than Race Day 2 of Bronze Class.

Sea to Ski compares to riding a Bronze Class Roof but Sea to Ski has a lot more dangerous stuff
where if you get it wrong you are fucked stuffed. With the Roof I felt safe all the time.

Thanks! This gives me confidence. Strangely, I battled most on Day 1 of 2014 S2S, as my tyre choice was wrong for that first muddy climb. The rest was totally do-able for me.

You are right about some of the dangerous off-cambers at S2S. Mike Glover certainly has balls! If a rider had to slip off some of those mountains, I'm not sure how the rider/body would ever be recovered.

I'm enjoying this report. Thanks!
'69 Model.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2015, 10:59:49 pm »
Fortune and misfortune at the Time Trial has turned the tables for some riders. Andries Etsebeth,
a friend I made through the sport during the last 3 years, put me in the dust at the qualifier by
winning a 6th place finish. Andries is a younger, fitter and more skilled rider with previous experience
of the Roof having ridden Silver Class the previous year and Bronze Class years before. During the
Time Trial Andries got the bike wedged between some rocks and derailed the chain in the process.

This cost him dearly for more than an hour passed before he got going again. This spot turned out
to be a freak location as the same happened to more riders as Andries sat there wrestling with an
chain that wedged between front sprocket and swing arm. With the experience of fixing it gained
he spent more time helping others out of their predicament. See, the Time Trial doesn't only determine
ones starting position for the race but the time spent negotiating it also be included in the total race
time for the event. Not only did Andries loose a strategic starting position but he also suffered the
time penalty. I felt really upset for his sake.

Fortune shone on me and I was lucky to more or less keep my location in the ranks by finishing 15th.

Race Day 1

Racing started as early as 6AM for the Gold riders. Bronze Class only 2 hours later. I guess we could
have slept in a bit longer but I was so nervous and exited that we rocked up at the Start/Finish location
in time to sample the atmosphere before kitting up and moving in for the start order.

This is Hannes van Tonder. A Silver rider from Fauresmith of all places. Fauresmith is my neighboring town.
Hannes isn't new to the Roof, in fact, he's an old hand but misfortune has also plagued him over the years.
He keeps on coming back though.

A bunch of psyched up riders!

Too soon it was my turn to take position under the canopy. Picture says it all. With the best bike in
the world under me and some formidable supporters behind me I felt on top of the world!

These are my supporters!!!  ;D

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:38:17 am by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2015, 11:16:16 pm »
Once the racing started the picture taking stopped. Unfortunately...

I snapped these two quite early on in the day while waiting for the riders in front of me to negotiate a difficult downhill section.

From here on I will just tell of the experience and throw in what images I got from different sources. The video, which
is now finished and uploaded, will give you a better idea. You'll have to wait for it though. Don't bother looking at my
channel on Youtube... I made it unlisted to keep the cat in the bag till the time is right.

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 10:02:30 am »
Well done  :thumleft:

Anyone who can finish the Roof is entitled to a knighthood IMO.  :thumleft:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 08:48:49 pm »
Well done  :thumleft:

Anyone who can finish the Roof is entitled to a knighthood IMO.  :thumleft:

Thanks. It depends on how you look at it too. If you are into the sport and have experience riding in Lesotho then finishing
a Bronze isn't all that much an achievement, it is a very cool scoot still. If you are new to the sport and haven't been to
Lesotho then its a different story. For the Gold riders I have serious respect though. Few appreciate what it takes to finish a Roof Gold.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:00:21 pm by Michiel »

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2015, 10:09:56 pm »
Great RR so far ... Please keep it coming
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2015, 06:25:37 am »
The general character of Race Day 1 was that of smooth, fast and really enjoyable riding.
A real riders route and lots of new track too! I must be honest, I can't remember all the details.
Not even then when the experience was still fresh. It just became too much. A jumble of happy
and exiting experiences contributing to one crazy day of awesomeness.

Picture credits to the photographers.

Little moments stand out though. Early on in the day as we came in to the first official spectator
point I sped downhill on the route across an area where a field used to be years ago. Hitting the
contours of the field with just the right speed to become airborne long enough so when I touched
down I immediately hit the next contour and got airborne again. I must have kangarooed more
than a hundred meters before the terrain leveled out again. The race atmosphere was energizing.
Instead of annoying me, the presence of riders behind and in front of me rather exited and motivated
me. It was like we were all part of a machine and everyone was pulling their weight to make this
machine run at maximum.

The real contributing factor was the spectators. All along the route strangers, friends and crew members
carried us on their cheers. This lifted me high above the rocks and gave me an energy that I never
experienced before.

Another vivid memory came near Ramabanta where we negotiated a very steep and loose off camber
downhill into the river. It was the location of a perfect spectators point. Lots and lots of people gathered
to watch riders negotiate the downhill, ride through the water in the river and out the other side where
the river was crossed once again and we made our way up the mountain. I stopped for a moment to plan
my descent but still got it wrong and fell in a plume of dust with the bike nearly skidding over the edge.

First picture by Janine Style.

This one might have been a really cool picture if it was in focus. I share it anyway since it still captures the moment.

Despite this I felt that the route was a wee bit too easy. I would have liked it to be more technical.
The second half was though. Just enough to qualify it for a Roof Bronze. Nearing the finish I became
aware of a bundle of riders chasing behind me and I decided to push harder so they won't displace
my position in the ranks. I was riding like the wind! These are the times when you realize your 300 2T
doesn't just have the ability to crawl up insane steep slopes like a donkey but it is also light footed like
a goat and mighty powerful on the fast stuff.

My day went without any serious incident and I finished in good time. All in all a very happy bunny!!!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:31:15 am by Michiel »

Offline Buff

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2015, 08:05:51 am »
Loving your RR and really looking forward to your vid Michiel  :thumleft: I see you and Gareth Loubsher (another CT training mate) were pretty evenly matched, meaning your riding skill has skyrocketed in recent years, well done  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2016, 10:54:53 am »
Too babelaas for an update today Michiel?
'69 Model.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2016, 09:24:51 pm »
Too babelaas for an update today Michiel?

Ag sorry man, my bad. I haven't been updating as consistent as I'd like. I don't drink, its mostly writers block.  ;D

On our way back to the Lodge Losper stopped to get some groceries in Roma. I thought the shop name was quite funny.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:29:16 pm by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2016, 10:01:04 pm »
By the time the sun rose on the final day, Race day 2, I felt like I have become part of a big family.
Everyone present were magically tuned in on the same channel. Whether you were riding or spectating.

Kids helping their dad no doubt with the GPS.

I could tell right here were the next generation Roof riders taking notes. See rider no 143? That is Calvin Hume.
I met Calvin at Umzumbe X. We rode together and helped each other, well, I mostly had to help him. Couple of
months later and he rides so well now that I look like a beginner. These 16 year olds improve by leaps and bounds.
Their skill doubles each flippin week!  ::)

BiG DoM and son Josh. Josh done brilliant the day before.

My turn to have a picture with the young star.

Two Wilddog legends in one picture.

Hannes was having good fortune for a change.

With the Revvit Racing boys who are also in good spirit and ranking.

This is it. Lining up to give the last day hell!

This is one of my favorite pictures form 2015.

Louis Bresler Knipe. I got to know Louis at Lesotho Sky doing what he is famous for. Turns out that Louis also rides
enduro and very well too! Very nice guy form Cape Town side.

Louis when he doesn't ride motorcycles.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:58:30 am by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2016, 10:14:32 pm »
I met these two on the route the day before. Charl Weyer and Wayne Bouchier riding as a team.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2016, 10:16:44 pm »
So what can I say about the route of the final day?  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:17:54 pm by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2016, 10:57:11 pm »
This sport, the bike I bought and most important the people that I befriended while doing so was truly
the best thing that could ever have happened to me. Honestly. You have no idea how happy it makes me.
How truly fortunate I must be. This day all of the above rose to a whole new level.

The route of Race day 2 was the one I expected from a extreme enduro like the Roof. The day before I
saw Mr. Ashley Thorn on the roue and stopped to chat. I congratulated him on what I thought was an
excellent, well balanced route with lots of new sections I have never seen but added that I thought it
was too easy. He winked and promised the next day will set that straight. He was right.

See, when the going gets real hard I seem to enjoy it even more. The technical stuff is where I can
overtake riders with ease. We left the start line in groups of 5. Each rider a couple of seconds after
the other. I was right at the back of my group when we hit the first tech of the day about 3km in and
overtook all of them right there! My triumph was short lived though because soon after the track
straightened out and nearly all of them blasted past me again…

I can go on and on and on about the day and the route but somehow still feel like the message won't
get through. Short, it was just perfect. Again lots of new track only this time with some proper challenging
obstacles. Spectacular landscapes too. Hell, I'm going to let the video do the talking...  ;)

It ended up longer than I planned so for those who want a 3min video, just watch the first 3 minutes.
I recently found that one can adjust the video quality by clicking on the "gear" icon and selecting a
higher quality. The video was uploaded in fair quality so adjust it if it looks fuzzy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dcBFx1GOdBQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dcBFx1GOdBQ</a>
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:04:01 pm by Michiel »

Offline Buff

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2016, 12:07:02 am »
Amazing video Michiel, well worth the wait  :thumleft: Congrats once again, besides highlighting your skill level the video showcased what a humble and good sportsman you are  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2016, 12:33:01 am »
Michiel - you are a star!
What a great generous guy, a relaxed yet excited attitude mixed with proper infectious enthusiasm.  ;)  

This is a proper RR - an excellent write-up, pics and vid.  :thumleft: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:43:32 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:26 am »
Very well done - excellent RR and awesome video  :thumleft:

I loved every minute of it and take my hat off to you - some of your helmet cam shots made me feel "naar" it looked so steep

I felt tired just watching the video
The older I get the faster I was

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2016, 08:37:50 am »
You gotta know that helmet cams really DO NOT show gradient well at all - if it looks steep on camera it is fooking seereearse STEEP!
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2016, 10:26:19 am »
Excellent report and a fabulous effort! Well done all round!

Offline lj111

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2016, 10:29:57 am »
Well done Michiel!!
Great RR and video :thumleft:
You just added the Roof to my bucket list :ricky:
Hope to meet you in the mountains one day  :thumleft: :ricky:
Some people feel the rain and others just get wet...