Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Mother of Hard Enduro - Roof of Africa 2015 (ride report)  (Read 7483 times)

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Mother of Hard Enduro - Roof of Africa 2015 (ride report)
« on: December 18, 2015, 10:02:48 pm »

I'd like to dedicate this ride report to a Good Samaritan called Henry who sponsored my entry to ride the
2015 Roof of Africa without expectation of personal benefit other than to support sport and recreation in
South Africa and help people to achieve their dreams.

The Roof doesn't need any introduction. For those that are not sure what exactly it involves I always
refer to something I once read on Wilddogs. There was a discussion on the different classes in the Roof namely
Bronze, Silver and Gold. One member asked about what exactly the difference was and famously another member
simply replied: "Afkak, Afkakker en Afkakste!" I need say no more…

I'm going to fetch this far but try to be sweet n short.

My first introduction to the Roof came three years ago when I joined SGB's yearly group and spectated from the
seat of my KLR. The year after that I went again but this time as Losper's pit crew and did the same last year.

Ride report from 2014: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=164614.0

Lesotho is the most amazing place to go for a decent afkak ride but I always held firm that I will never ride the
Roof because I don't like to be hurried along and despise a "race" atmosphere. Never say never! It turns out that
after seeing Losper and his son Ruan ride the Roof I ended up hooked as well.

At this point I'd like to introduce Christopher Style. Though a recent addition to my group of friends from Bloemfontein
I found a common interest with Christopher on various topics but as specially Extreme Enduro. It so happened then that
on the second race day of 2014 Christopher and I stood on the edge of a mountain looking at the riders coming in for a
refuel stop, waiting on Losper, and simultaneously came up with the same idea. Lets commit to ride this thing in 2015!

The next 12 months was the prelude to what I can honestly say the best motorcycling experience of my life!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:40:54 pm by Michiel »

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: Mother of all Hard Enduro - Roof of Africa 2015 (ride report)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 11:02:09 pm »
Here we go.... Looking forward to this one. I may have come up with a similar idea myself for 2016! 😈

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 08:07:29 am »
As usual, I expect this RR to be of the high standard and quality we have come to know from Michiel. And of course the pics will be awesome too...  :drif:

I am waiting M!  :ricky:  :peepwall:  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 09:00:49 am »
Can't wait ...
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Kawaki

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 06:14:58 pm »
 :sip:

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 08:00:41 pm »
As per usual I will post an entry to the ride report each evening. At the end will be the customary video for your enjoyment.  ;)
I have asked Christopher to contribute to this ride report for it seems to me he had arguably a more memorable experience than
myself having raced in the midst of the chaos. Christopher also seems to remember more vividly the adventure we had and
makes me laugh when he talks about it.

Back to the story.

A neat little trick I learnt from Losper is that "Roof Training" makes for a very good excuse to get the wife or girlfriend to
tolerate more frequent riding. Of course it isn't all smoke screen, the best way to prepare for a Roof is to ride your bike
in similar conditions as much as possible. Get bike fit, so to speak. Christopher also had to brush up on his navigation.
I will leave it to him to explain why. Some of the events Christopher and I rode together that stands out are of course
the Bronze Qualifier, The Madalas and The Impi. Christopher and I also went to Lesotho for a training weekend and had
rides here by me on the farm.

Christopher in action at the Bronze Qualifier.

I felt relieved to qualify since only 120 riders from something like 280 entries were allowed to proceed.

As the year progressed it seemed like we were improving. The Impi was an excellent pre-Roof testing ground.
Here Christopher got the challenges of navigating under the knee as The Impi is infamous for its difficulty not
only in navigating but also being a very technical and long ride.

Unlike myself Christopher was fairly new to Lesotho. I braved it to take him to Mangaluba Pass where I got broken
two years before and he took it in his stride. We tried to remind ourselves on the different techniques of riding and
used places like Mangaluba to put it to practise.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:30:12 pm by Michiel »

Offline BLK

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 08:52:45 pm »
As usual, I expect this RR to be of the high standard and quality we have come to know from Michiel. And of course the pics will be awesome too...  :drif:

I am waiting M!  :ricky:  :peepwall:  :sip:

Have to agree with Mr Z that Michiels RR's make for great reading and is well put together.

Thks Michiel

Offline Dwerg

Re: Mother of Hard Enduro - Roof of Africa 2015 (ride report)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 09:10:42 pm »
 :sip:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 10:50:40 pm »
 :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline onderbroek

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 06:53:26 am »
woohooo!

Sub
hak vrystaat

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 10:10:38 pm »
With one month to go Christopher and I decided to take a different strategy than the Revvit Racing
boys also situated in Bloemfontein. They were riding and training right up to a week before the event.
No, I wanted to sustain for at least a month so by the time the big day came I would be really hungry
for riding my bike.

Another consideration was also not risking severe damage to the bike and not having enough time to
sort it out. It just so happened that one of the boys blew an engine on the last training ride and dad
ended up buying a whole new bike to amend the situation...

Revvit Racing, from left to right: Regardt van Nieuwenhuizen, Carl-Reinhardt Cronje, Behan Boshoff
and Dalton de Bruin with team leader Jaco Kruger in the front. The kids are too fast to ride alongside
but we do enjoy the same events.

Rubbing shoulders with the more serious competitors means that there are always a bit of a joust
going on. Details about training, fitness and diet makes many conversations. Being more relaxed
and having a general lack in competitiveness I turned to a year long joke on the topic. Every time
anyone asked about how my training came on or what I was doing about a "race" diet I elaborated on
how I was making progress with my ice cream diet.

See, as I explained to one of the kids later on, never underestimate the power of belief. I figured that
if my Grandmother can make herself ill by thinking so I can eat myself into top condition by believing
ice cream is really good for me. This wasn't just a joke either. I do consume liters of ice cream every week.

Valid or not, I did have one real and realistic thing going for me. I was going to compete with the best
Enduro bike in the World! (300XCW) Now this you don't have to "believe" because it is a fact.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:47:09 pm by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 10:24:02 pm »
So with only days to go there was only one more thing to do. Get the bike sorted! New rubber.

These long tire levers make the job of fitting a mousse easy.

My boney being quite new still there wasn't really much to sort out. I did discover the fan switch housing was cracked
but sorted it out quickly.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:47:53 pm by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 10:37:08 pm »
A quick test ride later and we were ready! When you look at your bike, doesn't it just want to make
you ride? Well, this is the way I felt then. Super exited!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:41:16 pm by Michiel »

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 10:46:21 pm »

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 06:48:39 am »
Enjoying your report, Michiel.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 10:56:57 am »
Where's our daily fix??

Offline MickeyT

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 12:05:09 pm »
 :sip:  Gooi hom, pappa!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." – Philippe Halsman

Offline Rokie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 01:48:30 pm »
 :happy1:
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 07:40:06 pm »
Sorry, sorry sorry. I've been dragging this out to give Chris time to catch up. Still not sure what what...

Anyway, onwards!

The thing about an big event like the Roof of Africa in a small and relatively undeveloped country like Lesotho
is that proper accommodation can be scarce. Of course all the good places are booked full way in advance.
Each year we book early at Khotsong Lodge. It is conveniently located, not as expensive as places in Maseru,
have lots of space for trailers and cars but the service is shocking. The rooms are poorly outfitted and their
Restaurant could just as well be demolished. This all means that we have to take along with us whatever we
will need to survive 4 days. I was supposed to bring a kettle and microwave amongst other things but completely
forgot about it all packed and ready to travel. So that is what is missing in this picture...

Did remember to put on my "special occasions" cap.

From the farm to Bloemfontein my little 1986 Toyota Conquest made good and then I jumped on Losper's back!
The whole thing was now gaining momentum. Lots of friends from Bloemfontein shared the road to Maseru.
Contestants, crew, family and friends to spectate. Alongside the excitement a little bit of nervousness was now growing.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:51:43 pm by Michiel »

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 10:02:21 am »
So that is what is missing in this picture...

Your seat belt.  Ry sonder hom, ek bliksem vir jou! Seriaas!  :eek7: :lamer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.