Mother of Hard Enduro - Roof of Africa 2015 (ride report)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650

I'd like to dedicate this ride report to a Good Samaritan called Henry who sponsored my entry to ride the
2015 Roof of Africa without expectation of personal benefit other than to support sport and recreation in
South Africa and help people to achieve their dreams.

The Roof doesn't need any introduction. For those that are not sure what exactly it involves I always
refer to something I once read on Wilddogs. There was a discussion on the different classes in the Roof namely
Bronze, Silver and Gold. One member asked about what exactly the difference was and famously another member
simply replied: "Afkak, Afkakker en Afkakste!" I need say no more…

I'm going to fetch this far but try to be sweet n short.

My first introduction to the Roof came three years ago when I joined SGB's yearly group and spectated from the
seat of my KLR. The year after that I went again but this time as Losper's pit crew and did the same last year.

Ride report from 2014: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=164614.0

Lesotho is the most amazing place to go for a decent afkak ride but I always held firm that I will never ride the
Roof because I don't like to be hurried along and despise a "race" atmosphere. Never say never! It turns out that
after seeing Losper and his son Ruan ride the Roof I ended up hooked as well.

At this point I'd like to introduce Christopher Style. Though a recent addition to my group of friends from Bloemfontein
I found a common interest with Christopher on various topics but as specially Extreme Enduro. It so happened then that
on the second race day of 2014 Christopher and I stood on the edge of a mountain looking at the riders coming in for a
refuel stop, waiting on Losper, and simultaneously came up with the same idea. Lets commit to ride this thing in 2015!

The next 12 months was the prelude to what I can honestly say the best motorcycling experience of my life!