Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Share what works and what not - adventure biking travels  (Read 9087 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Share what works and what not - adventure biking travels
« on: December 20, 2015, 07:12:08 pm »
I see quite often 'die ou manne' moaning that nothing is happening on the forum.  I tend to disagree whole heartedly and today, not having beach weather here in Tergniet, I spent a lot of time on the forum and enjoyed it thoroughly.

So ......... I have been riding bikes for quite some time but actually have very little experience, especially in the adventure traveling section.

My eerste langerige trip was saam met BikerJan en ek het maar met my oe gesteel.  Daar het ek gesien mens pak lig, nie soos ek wat die hele huis en kitchen sink in al wat 'n pannier is probeer inpak nie.

Nou ja, nou het ek die +-1,500km die jaar af see toe gedoen en man, was dit lekker!  :ricky:

Now I would like to ask of all the 'ou manne' to share what works and what not on these type of travels.  I enjoyed the preparation as much as the actual ride and am sure there's other guys like me that would like to get it as close to 100% in preparation as could be.

I'll start off with the following:

Tent - my <R500 tent from Makro worked great on the trip
Mattress - those roll up things is not even good for yoga - R99 wasted, correction, will cut it up and use it to line my panniers
Tools - thanks to Maartin at Offroad Touring & Equipment that helped me a great deal.  The under topbox toolbag worked like a charm
GPS - Garmin Zumo 390 with T4A took me everywhere I wanted to go
Mitas E-10's does not give great mileage

Gooi some pics where possible
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:15:40 pm by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
Re: Share what works and what not - adventure biking travels
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:59:25 pm »
Mattress - those roll up things is not even good for yoga - R99 wasted, correction, will cut it up and use it to line my panniers

That does not work.   :deal:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 08:05:45 pm »
Pack everything on the bed that you want to take with, also your cash, then half the stuff and double the cash. Then you are still taking too much. You cannot prepare for every eventuality, so only take essentials. If there is something you left behind and really need it, you can buy it along the way.
And make a packlist after your first trip and scratch all the stuff off that you didn't use.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 08:13:20 pm »

Dit kan ek waardeer - raad voor ek (of ander) die verkeerde ding doen. Dankie  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 08:17:00 pm »
Pack everything on the bed that you want to take with, also your cash, then half the stuff and double the cash. Then you are still taking too much. You cannot prepare for every eventuality, so only take essentials. If there is something you left behind and really need it, you can buy it along the way.
And make a packlist after your first trip and scratch all the stuff off that you didn't use.

I couldn't agree more - learned this with overland 4x4 trips

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 08:22:38 pm »
Test your gear before the trip!

I got 2 camping gas cylinders from my neighbor when he emigrated and then bought the little cooker top to go with it, only to find out, when trying to make coffee, that the two is not compatible.  :eek7:

-David Livingstone-

Offline fcprinsloo7@gmail.com

• Main MOEGOE...
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 08:29:40 pm »
There's a couple of really good discussions on advrider with regards to packing. Plenty of rtw people that share their experience of what works.

Two man tent from 360 works for me and the wife.
We use the joga mats. Its light and rolls easy. I can't afford two selfinflating mattresses!

1 sleeping bag and one fleece blanket. Buy the fleece at a material shop. Cheap and you decide how big.

Inflatable pillows! That's the shit! Rolls up in your bedding, weighs nothing, cheap and cool in summer!

Moon bag. Looks kinda shite but works well for phone,wallet etc.

1 set atgatt. 2 thin t-shirts. Swim shorts that can double as normal shorts. 2sets riding socks. Underwear. Light,warm fleece jacket.

We got full size towels that roll as big ad a 500ml coke bottle. They dry out in 30 min and grass and sand don't cling to them.

Folding shovel dependent kind of trip you do. Mine weighs nothing, folds small and helps a lot to smooth out a area to pitch the tent. Nothing more annoying than sleeping on a clump of grass or a rock!

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »
Here are a few things that have helped me over the years with my bike trips , I camp when on my bike journeys so I pack accordingly .
WORKS
Kikoi - I always travel with one
packet of firelighters , quick and easy and you have your fire
Fold up stool X type - fastened to my pannier rack easy and in scorpion territory is a good friend
Swiss Army knife - essential
Msr water bladder 6 liter - packs flat , is good for water around campsite and for nights out free camping .
Campo Vaude tent - great tent has entrances back and front , very light , muted colour ( great for free camping ) and areas under the fly sheet but not in the tent for your boots etc
Aerostitch tank panniers - very handy for carrying supplies for on route - good crash protection as well :)
Small six can soft plastic cooler box - this thing folds up when not in use and is handy if you come across a shop early in the day and want to transport some meat  for your fire in the evening
Rokstraps - the best tie down method

DOESN'T WORK
Jeans - they are bulky , filthy very quickly and don't dry fast
Long johns - useless , don't dry quickly
Camp Master single blow up mattress - cursed the thing every night blowing it up for two trips - I dont learn easy
Camp light - useless head torch much better , fire light , head light or no light - easy  - don't recommend

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 09:52:54 pm »

Nope. They break up and fall apart.

Rather get a sheet of that thin carpeting used on boat floors. Make a template with some paper or cardboard, cut the carpet and glue it in with contact glue. Works beauts. And of course, pannier bags. Makes unpacking when staying at a B&B so much easier.

When camping, use the panniers as eating or food prep tables. Unclip from bike and stand them against each other on the ground.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 06:23:43 am »
Shanti, what is a kikoi?

As with the Swiss army knife, I don't travel anywhere without my Leatherman wave. Had to cut a loose lying wire that got stuck in my back wheel when we pulled off the road for some shelter in the Freestate.  (No we did not cut the fence)

I also carry a cable converting the Hella 12V outlets to normal cigarette lighter outlets for charging the odd thing.  I think a better bet would be these small power banks you get lately, especially for charging your phone.

With the latest cellphone technology, I also refrain from carrying a camera around.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 06:33:10 am »
The greatest invention for all biking is...

the ziplock plastic bag!

Put one pair of scants, one Tshirt and socks in a bag for each day of the ride.
If it's in the bag, it is clean and dry.
If it is not, it is rolled up and stuffed in the bottom.
You can have clean+dry and dirty+wet in the same luggage.
Ziplocks work for almost anything you want to keep separate but in one place.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 06:39:27 am »
Shanti, what is a kikoi?
A kikoi is usually brightly colored, made of cotton, and made in Kenya....

A large piece of fabric that you can wrap around your waist, like a beach towel,etc.
Has many uses; blanket, towel, clothing, ground covering to lie on, etc.
Cheers
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 06:42:04 am »
Shanti, what is a kikoi?

A large piece of fabric that you can wrap around your waist, like a beach towel,etc.
Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris  :thumleft:  Is the correct spelling kikoy?  Where's WB when you need him  :biggrin:

Wish I started this thread before I left Gauteng
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:44:29 am by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 06:47:22 am »
The greatest invention for all biking is...

the ziplock plastic bag!

Put one pair of scants, one Tshirt and socks in a bag for each day of the ride.
If it's in the bag, it is clean and dry.
If it is not, it is rolled up and stuffed in the bottom.
You can have clean+dry and dirty+wet in the same luggage.
Ziplocks work for almost anything you want to keep separate but in one place.

Makes a hell of a lot of sense, thanks FM

-David Livingstone-

Offline fcprinsloo7@gmail.com

• Main MOEGOE...
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 07:24:47 am »
100% for the zip locks! We also take some black dustbin bags along. Works for everything; raincoat, work surface next to the road, waterproofing panniers etc.

Pratley steel.

Small vice grip.

Test light.

MTB hand pump.

Cable ties.

Insulation tape.

Small container of sunlight liquid. Works as handsoap, tyre lube and obviously the dishes needs to be washed.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 07:29:20 am »
100% for the zip locks! We also take some black dustbin bags along. Works for everything; raincoat, work surface next to the road, waterproofing panniers etc.

Pratley steel.

Small vice grip.

Test light.

MTB hand pump.

Cable ties.

Insulation tape.

Small container of sunlight liquid. Works as handsoap, tyre lube and obviously the dishes needs to be washed.

And duct tape!

-David Livingstone-

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 08:16:30 am »
duct tape can also be used to keep the pillion quiet  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 08:21:10 am »
Shanti, what is a kikoi?

Cheers
Chris

It's a man's skirt!  :peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:22:57 am by jaybiker »
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 08:31:49 am »
Wearing a skirt can be very liberating. The breeze blowing up cooling the danglies is very erotic  ;D

Offline Coala

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 11:52:09 am »
here is my list of do's and dont's

Dont take a tinted visor (if it rains heavily you are in trouble) - rather take a pair of sunglasses (worth spending money on a good one).  Anyone who has been riding into the sun for a long stretch will probably agree.
Dont overplan (allow some flexibility)
Dont over pack (as per the posts below)
do a long trip in a new helmet
dont take a watch

DO

test everything you take along (including ALL the tools and what they are for)
take rain gear - even if the report says sunny all the way
sunblock - factor 40 and above
mozzi repellent and a small can of doom (for insects around your tent such as ants)
spend some money on a decent tent, mattres and sleeping bag and ground sheet - i dont bother with a pillow (thats why you have a towel and clothes)
despite your advance gps - take a good old fasioned quality map (and trace your route on it)
get a good foldable grid and braai triangle and kettle and coffee (an absolute must for a a good trip)
get a few packets of the blitz that you can start inside their wrapping (they dont smell and you can pack them anywhere)
matches (lighters break)
spend some time in compiling a decent medical kit - make a nice printout whats in it and what each item is for

take it easy and enjoy the ride