Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Share what works and what not - adventure biking travels  (Read 8263 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Share what works and what not - adventure biking travels
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 12:07:26 pm »
Thanks Coala,

Nice list.

Ok, so I strapped my sleeping bag on top of the pannier.  If it rained any more than it did, it wouldn't have had time to dry.  Any good advice on waterproof kit to store it in next time or perhaps alternatives to what I did?

What I also did with the coffee, opposed to coffee bags, is premix the coffee powder, sugar and powdered milk in a small container beforehand, any other ideas?
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Clint_G

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »
I have a question. Why should I bother with an expensive compressor when I have a tyre repair kit that has the valve and co2 cannisters in? Any scenario where that won't work?

Good tips so far. Thanks.

Offline Coala

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 12:17:45 pm »
you can get dry bags for a decent price (and a few names to choose from).  Maybe go for a 20 liter so you have additional space should you require it - they are almost all below R250.  Always pack a few extra straps (never bungy cords).  I have even packed a few black bags (the thick rubbish bags) and these worked their magic when required.  I am particular when it comes to coffee so the last one to ask lol.  I will rather not pack a pillow than sacrifice my coffee. So what i use depend on what i am in the mood for.  Sometimes i use the coffee bags (like tea bags) - nice to brew them in the kettle and they pack easily.  I also travel with a small plastic pot of honey (as opposed to sugar and helps for infections and wounds).  I dont bother with milk.  

some use a under arm roll prop to cover the ignition overnight when it rains (i use the black rubbish bag and pull it over)

as i often use hard alu panniers i also have the small Trax table - it actually works like a dream.  

Offline Coala

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 12:20:09 pm »
I have a question. Why should I bother with an expensive compressor when I have a tyre repair kit that has the valve and co2 cannisters in? Any scenario where that won't work?

if your route varies between tar and dirt then it is worth your while.  Cannisters for me are for emergencies (when in a dodgy area) only so have them.  But a compressor is worth its weight in gold on a long trip.   

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 12:25:58 pm »
Thanks Coala,

Nice list.

Ok, so I strapped my sleeping bag on top of the pannier.  If it rained any more than it did, it wouldn't have had time to dry.  Any good advice on waterproof kit to store it in next time or perhaps alternatives to what I did?

What I also did with the coffee, opposed to coffee bags, is premix the coffee powder, sugar and powdered milk in a small container beforehand, any other ideas?

If you are a purist for ground coffee this may not suit you, but condensed milk is a two in one solution, and doesn't readily 'go off'. With Nescafe classic or similar it makes an acceptable cuppa.
'Specially if you spike it with a little something extra. >:D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:31:39 pm by jaybiker »

Offline Clint_G

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 12:31:49 pm »

if your route varies between tar and dirt then it is worth your while.  Cannisters for me are for emergencies (when in a dodgy area) only so have them.  But a compressor is worth its weight in gold on a long trip.   

I guess if you're constantly deflating and inflating a compressor makes sense then. Those cannisters would add up eventually to the cost of a compressor.

I have a really cool compressor that came with my RX8 (because they don't have space for a spare). Even used it for my Jeep that has 32" Mud Terrain tyres on, so I'm sure it would work. Its roughly the size and shape of a kid's lunchbox, and has spare valves and a valve tool in.

Offline Leo

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 12:45:26 pm »
Always ride with earplugs. You'll feel 80% better after a long day in the saddle. Music might be great, but it distracts you and you can't hear if anything goes wrong. The noise also tires you.
A blow up pillow works great, but it keeps on slipping out from under your head. To overcome the problem, fold you kikoi double and put the pillow inside. When you lie down, you rest your torso on the open end, that way the pillow can not slide from under your head.  :ricky:
On extended tours, plan on 300 - 450 km per day max. If you do more, you can have an extra rest day  :thumleft:
Get those K-Way pants with the zip off sleeves. They dry quickly and can double up as a shorts or a costume for swimming.
Get the similar type shirts, they dry quickly.
On extended tours, take your oldest t-shirt. Once it gets filthy, throw it away and buy anew one - Africa is littered with cheap Chinese shit around every corner.  Viola, only one shirt to pack plus maybe one spare.
In Africa.hen you can, fill up with petrol. You only have too much fuel when you're on fire.
The story about packing on a bed and only take half works best  :deal:
Never pack liquids in the same pannier as you sleeping bag and clothes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:46:24 pm by Leo »
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Coala

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 01:01:04 pm »
I also think prioritise where to spend your money on:

I am relatively cheap skate BUT i spent my money on:

A good tent - i went for the First Accent Starlight due to its weight, quality of material, type of pegs it use and design (its lekker long as well 2.2).  Will set you back north of R1300
A good mattres - i went for a compact type such as the Klymit - around R1000 (the yoga types dont work for me and too bulky)
A good sleeping bag (rated to -5 to -15) I have a very compact one that has a hoodie.  Best to get one that can zip open completely for when it is warm. That is also pricy (north of R1000).

but those three items allow for a decent night sleep (critical for me as i really enjoy my sleep). 

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »
Most have been covered already. One not seen yet is I take Alcolin silicone tape. Can be used as insulation or any temp fix for water pipes and other fixes,sticks to itself.
Medical kit,two lighters,multi tool,compressor,tubes,extra Rok straps,biltong,never forget the biltong. Decent sharp knife and my next trip got a collapsing night stick.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline K-9

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 01:11:18 pm »

"I guess if you're constantly deflating and inflating a compressor makes sense then. Those cannisters would add up eventually to the cost of a compressor."

its not about cost.  on my last trip I ended up with 3 holes, in a brand new TKC.  the canister worked fine the first time.  my mates compressor did not work as it blew a fuse, my compressor worked the 2nd and 3rd time.  and again to get the pressure right for tar riding 6 days latter.

another trip the one hole  on my friends bike - it did not matter what we did, we could not seal the hole even after several attempts and 6 plugs at a time.  we ended up pumping the tyre every 100kms or so.  

canisters are fine but- very limited.  

always i carry both.
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 01:13:44 pm »

"I guess if you're constantly deflating and inflating a compressor makes sense then. Those cannisters would add up eventually to the cost of a compressor."

its not about cost.  on my last trip I ended up with 3 holes, in a brand new TKC.  the canister worked fine the first time.  my mates compressor did not work as it blew a fuse, my compressor worked the 2nd and 3rd time.  and again to get the pressure right for tar riding 6 days latter.

another trip the one hole  on my friends bike - it did not matter what we did, we could not seal the hole even after several attempts and 6 plugs at a time.  we ended up pumping the tyre every 100kms or so.  

canisters are fine but- very limited.  

always i carry both.

Yep I take both as well.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Xpat

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 01:19:43 pm »

I guess if you're constantly deflating and inflating a compressor makes sense then. Those cannisters would add up eventually to the cost of a compressor.

I have a really cool compressor that came with my RX8 (because they don't have space for a spare). Even used it for my Jeep that has 32" Mud Terrain tyres on, so I'm sure it would work. Its roughly the size and shape of a kid's lunchbox, and has spare valves and a valve tool in.

I tend to ride on my own and deep into the sticks so my opinion is based on that.

If I would be ridding tubeless tyres (I used long time ago), I would carry compressor to be able to ge the bead on tyre if it breaks (yes it can be done with small compressor and few straps - I've done it many times). Without compressor your only options to get the bead are the CO2 canisters (which are hit and miss affair not guaranteeing the result leaving you stranded), spare tubes with MTB handpump (which I always carried even with tubeless tyres as I almost always scored cuts that weren't fixble with plugs), or blowing up petrol in the tyre (which may backfire badly). Of those options compressor (and tubes) seem to me as the most reliable to get you going again.

With the tubed wheels I have now I used to carry compressor for comfort, but ditched it now to save space and weight.

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 01:21:21 pm »
Strap everything with two straps, even your topbox.

After a stop, make a habit of checking that you have everything; wallet, glasses, etc.

Offline Clint_G

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 02:38:17 pm »
or blowing up petrol in the tyre (which may backfire badly).

A can of deodorant works very well for 4x4 tyres. As long as you're aware of where your fingers are when you light it. Not sure if it's possible to damage the bike rim this way, though.

The way I've done it (many times, and without losing fingers), is to spray the inside of the tyre relatively full of deodorant, and then while still spraying, move back a bit and light the stream coming from the can briefly while pointed at the gap between tyre and rim, and release the button quickly.

If the can of deodorant is almost empty, there's more chance of blowing up your hand, as the flame travels up the stream because there's not enough pressure left in the can.

Yes, it's dangerous if you're not careful. But so is riding a bike.  :peepwall:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 03:47:22 pm »
Those tips about using petrol or deodorant to seal your tyre beads sound a bit dodgy, but I guess if something goes wrong at least your insurance will cover the damage?  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 04:35:52 pm »
Well, here is equaly dodgy video showing that it works:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lqH024lxbTg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lqH024lxbTg</a>

@Clint_G: if you feel confident that you will be able to get the bead on using your way, then I don't think you need to carry compresor.

Offline DEE 1150

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 05:13:00 pm »
I'm one of those guys . . . love my gear and gadgets (Not fancy hi-tech stuff, practical stuff)

Here is a few of my favourites. (Use it not only on bike trips, but also hiking, camping and kayak trips)

Water purification:

Braai-grid in a pipe:

Kovea Titanium Stove:
Tried a lot, found this one the best. Small and powerful. Different size canisters available that can be matched with the duration of the trip.

K-Way One Person Cook Set:
The lekka thing about this, is that the Kovea Stove with a medium canister, fits perfectly inside (space saving)

Go NOWHERE without my Kikoy:
Ten zillion uses.

Even use it to cover the bread dough (deeg) to rise  ;D

For Blitz (fire starting), I use cotton mixed with Vaseline, stored in a pill holder. (Bit of a mess to mix, but light and small to take with)

Something quite new(ish) I found in the coffee department:

Cup a Ground from Coffee Excellence.
Regte moer koffie in 'n baie nice sakkie konsep

Just add boiling water !!!

Power Bank:

For a long time been using this 6000 mAh one (don't bother with smaller than 6000 mAh)

Used this mostly/solely for charging phone and headlamp (kopflits)

NEW addition, on its way in January, a WUHAI 30 000 mAh powerbank, with the added benefit of jump starting the bike / car etc.

Really hope it is as good as the promise !

Nitecore HC90 Headlamp:

To be honest, it is a bit bulky for a headlamp.

Things I do like about it:
Full aluminium alloy "unibody" construction. (Lekker sterk, kan punches vat !)
Max 900 lumens (As jy 'n ding is sy m@&r WIL lig)
Infinitely variable brightness via unique sliding switch. (dis nogal handig)
Secondary green, red and blue illumination
Micro USB Rechargeable (Powerbank weer 'n backup)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:54:32 am by KLR DEE »

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 06:11:57 pm »
Ek vat net n  kussingsloop saam.
Aand in die tent prop al jou klere,tentsak,rybroek en wat jy ookal het daarin .

Onthou  4 dae per onderbroek. Dag 1 gewoonweg. Dag twee agterstevoor om. Dag drie omgedop en dan
dag vier weer agterste voorom. So 8 dae trip is net twee onderbroeke.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 06:45:59 pm »
I think the humble kikoi/kikoy needs a thread of its own :)
Surely one of the best traveling items ..
Subie you do know that underpants don't dissolve in water ?  :laughing4:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2015, 06:59:48 pm »
Ok, so I strapped my sleeping bag on top of the pannier.  If it rained any more than it did, it wouldn't have had time to dry. 
Any good advice on waterproof kit to store it in next time or perhaps alternatives to what I did?

KtmK, have a look here:   http://www.helen2wheels.com/

Not the products per se, but the principles of sorting stuff from each other.
Soft + Dry together in waterproof roll-top bags.
That "useless" foam yoga mat makes a great tube to stuff your sleeping bag inside when you put it in the waterproof bag.
I use the yoga mat on top of a ribz stretcher.

HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.