Who do you really Deal With

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jOHNsnr.

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Just for clarification; I Find it very interesting that owners of BMW vehicles (Cars & Bikes) more often than not complain about BMW  when they should be complaining about the Dealer  they do business with. The reason for this is that BMW Dealers are not agents and or Franchises of BMW SA as a matter of fact the Dealer Agreement states categorically that no Dealer may indicate to a customer that any relationship of Agency  excists between them (BMW SA and BMW Germany). Complaints have to be handled by the Dealer ; seeBelow extract of the clauses as in Dealer Agreement)
1.4 Independence of Dealer
The Dealer contracts with BMW and all its Customers in pursuance of this
Agreement as a principal and not as an agent of BMW. The Dealer has no
authority to assume any obligations of any kind express or implied on behalf
of BMW or BMW AG or to bind BMW or BMW AG in any way. The Dealer
will accordingly not describe itself as an agent for BMW or BMW AG or in any
other words indicating that a relationship of agency exists between the
parties.

8.3 Customer Inquiries
The Dealer will principally ensure that he satisfactorily clarifies and settles
any inquiries or complaints (whether made verbally or in writing) by
Customers. Only in exceptional cases will the BMW Call Centre handle
customer complaints or inquires directly. Should BMW deal with such cases
this shall be in an advisory capacity and shall not detract from the fact that
any claim made by the Customer will be against the Dealer and not against
BMW. The Dealer will support BMW in this regard so as to ensure the quick
and efficient clarification of any possible queries. BMW will advise the
Dealer if appropriate and, if necessary, consult the Dealer in this regard.

It is therefore essential that when you have a problem to sort it out with the Dealer Principal in the first instance as he has an obligation ito the agreement as to the standard of services etc.you as a Customer are entitled to.

My Exprerience was that very few Employees of Dealerships and BMW SA staff are aware of the above.As a matter of fact I have an e Mail sent to us a few years ago by the then CEO of BMW Motorrad SA Lachlan Harris wherein he referred to our Dealership as a Franchise !! of BMW.

Do yourself a favour and walk in to a BMW Dealership and ask the Staff if they are BMW Agents and see what you get.

I Am of the opinion that it should be compulsory for Dealers to make the above clear to Customers and their Staff for that matter.

The Above is subject to BMW SA not having changed their Agreement in the last three Years which I Doubt.