Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Amageza Rallye 2016: Entries OPEN  (Read 40942 times)

Offline Jan Sand

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Re: Amageza Rallye 2016: Entries OPEN
« Reply #280 on: September 19, 2016, 04:54:32 pm »
Sean, its not that surprising to me.

Lets face the facts ladies & gentlemen: Rally is simply not everyone's cup of tea. Its also a tough year financially for many of us.

More importantly, you have to be a masochistic sob who does not mind not sleeping less than than 3-4hrs/night, and riding all day, everyday in hostile conditions, completely alone 90% of the time.

I think a lot of the guys who do enter, enter looking at the thing through rose-tinted glasses. When they find out its actually a hard grind to finish just one leg, and that it also costs bit of money, that they are going to get hurt and their bikes are going to get hurt, the reality of it all can bite down really hard.

Its a bit like the Dakar in that respect: Everyone wants to be able to say they have done it, but very, very few even get to the start, fewer still finish.

If there was no Baja event this year, undoubtedly there would have been more entrants.
If there was no minimum entry requirement,       there would have been more entrants.
If it cost less,                                                    there would have been more entrants.
If it (put your own reason in here)                      there would have been more entrants.

The nice thing about this is that only a few of us, precious few, are going to be riding the best part of the Southern African desert, in what could be argued to be the toughest rally in Africa. Some of us will be riding for a FREE ticket to compete in the Dakar itself.

All of us except for one will not get that ticket to the Dakar, but we will have gone that much further than 50 million South Africans in the endeavor to get there.

So for me, it's a one in 1,430,000 opportunity. :ricky:

That finisher medal will mean that much more - to me anyway. To have the honour to suffer along with 36 other guys and hopefully overcome the challenge...I love it.

I will also have 36 riders and perhaps another 15 officials who will be much closer friends - brethren even - afterwards.

Thats all true MR BlueBull. As this might be the last one for some time, those of us partaking in this en-devour will feel much more than pride just to take part. Having that finishers medal on the shelf will mean so much more this year. It is true that Rally racing is not for everyone, but it is one of the most satisfying sports I have ever taken part in...For me it is the most challenging motorbike adventure out there...and I am sure that all will give their best.

Just a question...hopefully we will become such good friends that you will considder riding at the back with me to help with NAV and some good company....? :imaposer:

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »
Jan,
I think there maybe a few of us at the back becoming good friends and motivating each other to make it to the end. Small goals everyday and ticking the boxes👍🏻
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2016, 08:31:12 pm »
I was thinking about it and.....not to be negative or anything like that but even if I don't get the finisher's I'll still be so stoked to do it. I will be super miffed if I don't finish the first stage though.

Jan Sand: I doubt you will be slower than me anyway! ;D Regardless, Ross is right. :thumleft:

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #283 on: September 21, 2016, 09:38:25 am »
Reading the regs, I see mention of a 50mm red reflector on the back of the bikes/helmets. I don't recall needing this last year. Anyone making a plan for the little bikes? What about red reflective tape on the back of the helmet?

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #284 on: September 21, 2016, 11:47:37 am »
I was thinking about it and.....not to be negative or anything like that but even if I don't get the finisher's I'll still be so stoked to do it. I will be super miffed if I don't finish the first stage though.

Jan Sand: I doubt you will be slower than me anyway! ;D Regardless, Ross is right. :thumleft:

2014 - I was nearly out on day 1 - had an electrical problem that stranded me. if it wasn't for the help of a few others, most notably LoopSoosStroop, I would never have finished that day. AND would have missed out on ALL the other days.

It was a simple problem to fix at the bivvy but out in the deep, hot sand, it was another ball game. Heat, confusion, lack of water and fuel all got to me.

But, most of all, it was my attitude that it would be a breeze coz I was on an indestructible bike doing only 250kms, that got me. Everything went wrong and the rest of the trip was all about survival.

Murphy is big out there, boys. And he's gonna get you - so be prepared.

Other than that, have a blast  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2016, 11:12:06 am »
Rob I think that was the 2nd best day of my short riding career.  It was lots of fun tow-starting that KLR.

Best day was Amageza 2014 day 3, Richtersveld stage. That was epic riding.

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2016, 11:51:44 am »
Confirmation from Alex... red reflective tape on the back of the helmet is ok in place of a reflector.

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2016, 01:42:14 pm »

2014 - I was nearly out on day 1 - had an electrical problem that stranded me. if it wasn't for the help of a few others, most notably LoopSoosStroop, I would never have finished that day. AND would have missed out on ALL the other days.

It was a simple problem to fix at the bivvy but out in the deep, hot sand, it was another ball game. Heat, confusion, lack of water and fuel all got to me.

But, most of all, it was my attitude that it would be a breeze coz I was on an indestructible bike doing only 250kms, that got me. Everything went wrong and the rest of the trip was all about survival.

Murphy is big out there, boys. And he's gonna get you - so be prepared.

Other than that, have a blast  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Well done Boyz

I would be chuffed just to get a start ;)

Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2016, 04:03:44 pm »
Jamber - Thanks boet :thumleft:

I think its worthwhile folloing the rules to the letter. I (actually Steve) has gone through great pain and suffering to get working indicator lights installed on my bike. I'm really bummed I had to do it because no self-respecting rally bike has any, but for the Amageza its a rule and a rule is to be followed on pain not not being allowed to start. :deal:

Alexander mentioned on his vliesbook page that he thinks this year's route is going to be the best one ever.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #289 on: September 23, 2016, 09:32:38 am »
I must say all the Amageza's had EPIC routes. Every year, every stage.

BlueBull you asked why there is so little entries this year. And you missed the elephant in the room. THE ROADBOOK.

It took all the fun out of an expensive ride for many riders. Even though the roadbook was at fault many times, Michael Kinnear and Gillian Dykes refused to cancel my penalty. I had a stage win and a 3rd place and was hoping for a top 10 finish.

I really really really want to enter, but hate it to be the "moangat". Again.  ;D
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline noble steed

« Reply #290 on: September 23, 2016, 10:41:11 am »
Interesting observation....

Amageza 2015 entry list was 86 strong....
Amageza 2016 entry list is 37 strong....

Only 17 riders from 2015 is doing 2016. 20 New riders or riders who skipped a year and returned....

Question?
 Are there really only 17 returnees?

I will be watching the race progress and feeling sad to not be there...

2015 was a lot shorter than I had planned for, but got valuable experience through my DNF to use on future races.

For me, financially I spent double my planned budget, it will take 2-3 years to recoup that and be able to afford another entry, hopefully this isn't the last Amageza... I think other riders may be in the same boat, though I'm sure some first-time riders did just get a huge shock and decide rallying is more than they expected.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #291 on: September 23, 2016, 12:02:43 pm »
By way of light relief - it's good thing we're not racing in the Russian tundra!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsdQBuo2OEY

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #292 on: September 23, 2016, 12:04:35 pm »
I must say all the Amageza's had EPIC routes. Every year, every stage.

BlueBull you asked why there is so little entries this year. And you missed the elephant in the room. THE ROADBOOK.

It took all the fun out of an expensive ride for many riders. Even though the roadbook was at fault many times, Michael Kinnear and Gillian Dykes refused to cancel my penalty. I had a stage win and a 3rd place and was hoping for a top 10 finish.

I really really really want to enter, but hate it to be the "moangat". Again.  ;D

The ROADBOOK was not great last year, but people still got through to the finish, including you. Not sure about the penalties, who remembers those anyway? Its not like the organization cheated you out of a top ten was it? Were they really being spiteful to you? Why do you mention their names? Are you perhaps trying to throw them under a bus? I hope not....

I don't know the Kinnear guy, he is from MSA anyway, but Gillian always makes decisions in an impartial manner. You may disagree but that and the RB is a pretty poor excuse for not re-entering this year. Rather just tell us you are retired.. or cant afford it  ;D

Did you really deserve it? Only you will know. Who can take a stage win away from you? You know you were the fastest that day don't you? To me that is was is important.

Is it a major issue that you did not come 3rd or 10th? No, not really.

I guess what you should do is to prove you are that good by showing us in another Amageza rally. :deal: :ricky:  Then you will have really earned our respect. You'd become another David Casteau. A guy who only got 3rd on the Dakar once, and arguably should have won it 8 times, but finished far less, crashed out, was ruled out, was penalized out, whose bike broke, but did not stop coming back or more. Why? because it wasn't easy, it was the CHALLENGE.

Otherwise I might come 3rd in your place! :laughing7:

The ROADBOOK in the Baja was apparently brilliant. Alexander has committed to getting it right for the Amageza this year, and I think he will. Would be a shame to have you miss out on this one for such a  silly reason, Chris. :thumleft:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #293 on: September 23, 2016, 12:15:16 pm »

2015 was a lot shorter than I had planned for, but got valuable experience through my DNF to use on future races.

For me, financially I spent double my planned budget, it will take 2-3 years to recoup that and be able to afford another entry, hopefully this isn't the last Amageza... I think other riders may be in the same boat, though I'm sure some first-time riders did just get a huge shock and decide rallying is more than they expected.

Bliksem noble steed, we have the upmost respect for your efforts! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :salut: Its guys like you that those of us watching cheer on, staying up into the early hours of the morning to watch your trackers, hoping against all odds you might somehow be able to press on. And even if you don't it does not detract from the effort.

Its not the fast guys and winners who are the heroes, its the ones who battle bravely on -despite everything- at the back of the field, riding churned up tracks in the heat of the late afternoon with no water.

If there is any way I can help you get to or through the next Amageza you do, please ping me. :deal:

Offline SteveD

« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
I really really really want to enter.....

Please enter, Chris. Pretty please.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #295 on: September 23, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »
I really really really want to enter.....

Please enter, Chris. Pretty please.
Do it ! Chris .

Offline Kreef

• Race Dog
« Reply #296 on: September 23, 2016, 02:52:29 pm »
Does anyone know if they still need volunteers / marshals?  :scratch:
From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few. We band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Offline noble steed

« Reply #297 on: September 23, 2016, 04:20:33 pm »

Bliksem noble steed, we have the upmost respect for your efforts! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :salut: Its guys like you that those of us watching cheer on, staying up into the early hours of the morning to watch your trackers, hoping against all odds you might somehow be able to press on. And even if you don't it does not detract from the effort.

Its not the fast guys and winners who are the heroes, its the ones who battle bravely on -despite everything- at the back of the field, riding churned up tracks in the heat of the late afternoon with no water.

If there is any way I can help you get to or through the next Amageza you do, please ping me. :deal:

Budget should be on track for 2017 West Coast, assuming there is a 2017 West Coast...

Finish that, take things from there!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #298 on: September 23, 2016, 05:04:49 pm »

Best thing to do is to chat to Alexander. :thumleft:

Can never have enough IMHO.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #299 on: September 23, 2016, 05:26:59 pm »

Best thing to do is to chat to Alexander. :thumleft:

Can never have enough IMHO.

But I thought you knew everything about rallying