Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Amageza Rallye 2016: Entries OPEN  (Read 40949 times)

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
Re: Amageza Rallye 2016: Entries OPEN
« Reply #300 on: September 23, 2016, 05:55:56 pm »
Does anyone know if they still need volunteers / marshals?  :scratch:

Best thing to do is to chat to Alexander. :thumleft:

Can never have enough IMHO.

Sean Kriel is in charge of marshal recruitment.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #301 on: September 23, 2016, 08:00:14 pm »

Best thing to do is to chat to Alexander. :thumleft:

Can never have enough IMHO.

But I thought you knew everything about rallying

Sorry I'm just passionate about the subject and I suppose all my comments are coming accross as cute. I'll shut up now. ::) You take over from here :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #302 on: September 25, 2016, 09:39:19 pm »
The West Coast Baja roadbook was 110% correct and had zero issues... if that is anything to go by then the Amageza 2016 roadbook will be good too.

Everyone thinking of still entering should do it!!! No draadsitters... Kom Chris... jy weet jy wil die RFR450 gas gee!

Do it!

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #303 on: September 26, 2016, 02:58:53 am »

Kreef - PM me your details.... I am the crew chief - we can chat about a maybe spot - or put you on standby....

S
It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #304 on: September 28, 2016, 06:10:02 am »
From Camelman himself:

Good morning guys!

Please see below points regarding the upcoming 2016 Amageza Rallye:

Parking for the week: Their will be safe parking available indoors at Upington Show grounds from 07 November to 11 November for competitors wishing to leave cars or trailers. The cost will be R100 per item. For example: A car on its own will be R100, with trailer will be R200 for the duration.
Satellite phones: There will be extremely scarce cellphone reception during the race. Cellphone reception is only available around towns and bigger villages. It is advisable to rent a satellite phone from Sat4Rent. They have partnered with us to give you better rates. Please contact Nerine at nerine@sat4rent.co.za to book your phone.
Malle Moto: There are still places available for the Malle Moto Cup.
Welcome:Stage 1 Roadbooks & Briefing: 05 November at 19:00. Venue to be confirmed next week.
Documentation, Scrutineering and Stage 1: 06 November from 07:00, Upington Showgrounds. All on the same day. Your allocated times will be sent to you via email. Briefing & Roadbooks for Stage 1 will be dealt with during Scrutineering. Stage 1 will take the form of a Super Special of 60km. The SS will start at 13:00.
Tire & Mousse Partner: We welcome the addition of Super Moose who will be our official Tire and Mousse partner for 2016. They will have a workshop in each bivouac including Upington where they will change mousses and tires for R150 per wheel. Malle Moto Competitors get their changes for free. You can place your orders for Mousses with Nico Pienaar at +27(0)726236148 or nicp@activemetals.co.za.
Entry Form :  Please complete your online entry form, if you haven't done so yet. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdLfmDO6kmoWg4c2gT6NPxVmnrGClATfEEevPM85axDdGelfg/viewform
Competitor Profile Picture: You have the opportunity to profile yourself and your sponsors through your profile picture on the amagezarallye.com website. Image specifications: Size: 750px(W) x 550px(H). Format: Landscape. Type: JPG. Size: Less than 500kb. Use this space to LOOK AWESOME and give your sponsors some visibility. Please send this to entry@amageza.com. Make sure you name the photo. (NameSurname.jpg)
A red reflective sticker is acceptable on the back of your helmet. The idea is that in low light and dusty conditions the competitor behind you should see your red sticker on the back of your helmet in his head-light, should your tail-light fail or not exist, and not tailgate you by mistake!
Discounted Entry Fee: The discounted entry fee will stay in effect till 30 September (in 3 days!). This price is cheaper than the discounted loyalty entry fee.  On 1 October, pricing will increase, and the loyalty discount will be in effect.
I will be out in the sticks finalizing the route, so please forward all your questions to entry@amageza.com. Marie-Louise will make sure I attend to whatever is required when I get back in communication.

Please invite a friend.  If you are 1 of the guys still deciding if you're entering or not....please enter.  Your entry matters.

All the best with your final planning. Lets make this the best race ever!

Cheers,

Alexander
It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline Myrtle

« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2016, 04:50:38 pm »
Hi

Can anybody recommend a route reasonable close to JHB that we can get some proper sand riding in? The pongola route would be perfect but hoping to get something a bit closer. We have done the botswana fence run and met somebody who might have helped us with a ride in the botswana dunes but this has not materialised. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.                                                   Robert Service

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2016, 08:17:01 pm »
I am looking for a lift for me and my bike to the start and back from the finish of the Amageza. Happy to split fuel costs, traveling etc. Anyone willing to help? Failing that I will have a training ride to Upington. ;D

Myrtle, I am putting together a riverbed section in the Mokopane area, if that works. I would like to give it a run in about 2 weeks time. Its going to be a 500-600km day from Bela Bela.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:17:40 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #307 on: September 30, 2016, 08:57:06 pm »
.... jealous
Would have joined you on this one Neil 👍
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2016, 07:00:13 am »
Hi

Can anybody recommend a route reasonable close to JHB that we can get some proper sand riding in? The pongola route would be perfect but hoping to get something a bit closer. We have done the botswana fence run and met somebody who might have helped us with a ride in the botswana dunes but this has not materialised. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Hello Myrtle
I am replying on this thread as I could not post the gdb file with a pm. This is from Zeerust to Bray going through Miga and not Mafeking. It is 280 km  long. There is some sandy bits but not much. After Miga about 5km of sandy tweespoor. Then again about 40km before Bray is also sandy. As you know those roads are more about surfing the bits of sand at 140km/h +. I tried to not exceed 140km/h on my bike to prevent damage and not strain my motor. Fuel consumption down from 21km/L to 16 on my XT660R on these roads. After Makgobistad there is a 40km piece of tar road but after that the roads is lovely just to let your bike run.
From Miga to Makgobistad is not fast riding area. Be carefull I have had lots of animals sometimes on this stretch. There is one gate in the sandy bit after Miga. Remember if you ride back in the morning the sun is directly in your eyes making it hard to spot the odd kudu next to the road. If you must go through Mafeking there is a road that has got a bit more sand to bray,also nice high speed stuff.Will post that track tonight.
I have run from Van Zylsrus to home twice in one day without riding in the dark along this area. Just cutting out the Makgobistad - Miga bit but straight from Makgobistad to Mafeking. For me that is just ride stopping only for petrol. Very satisfying rides.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:09:41 am by subie »
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught
The left is full of people who have been educated far beyond their intelligence

Offline luckyloo

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2016, 07:35:36 am »
Hi All....last minute entry done !!  Looking forward once again.  I'm sure this will be the best biking event ever.  I have a complete rally bike standing in my garage but decided last minute I'm converting my 2016 wr450 to a rally light spec.   Front tank ordered from safari.    Anybody have any rear tank or belly pan tank lying around which can be converted to fit this bike?

Good luck with the nerves and all the prep works.  See y'all on the starting line.....

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2016, 08:46:45 am »
 :thumleft:
Hi All....last minute entry done !!  Looking forward once again.  I'm sure this will be the best biking event ever.  I have a complete rally bike standing in my garage but decided last minute I'm converting my 2016 wr450 to a rally light spec.   Front tank ordered from safari.    Anybody have any rear tank or belly pan tank lying around which can be converted to fit this bike?

Good luck with the nerves and all the prep works.  See y'all on the starting line.....

Nice one!!

Yip - time is running out... quick!!!

will see you there!! good luck with the preps!!
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #311 on: October 04, 2016, 07:15:19 pm »
Amagza entry list is growing slowly.... Whoop Whoop -

We a month away from departure... can't wait anymore - guys I hope you have stamina! You going to need it....

Good Luck with final preps and training!

Offline tehdutchie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #312 on: October 04, 2016, 11:40:04 pm »
I am looking for a lift for me and my bike to the start and back from the finish of the Amageza. Happy to split fuel costs, traveling etc. Anyone willing to help? Failing that I will have a training ride to Upington. ;D

Alex RG or Garth might be close to you.

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #313 on: October 05, 2016, 10:46:53 am »

Dutchie - there is a package availabe on Amageza for competitor transport up and down.... if you take that I will put you in our van and we have lots to share... biers, brandy etc... lol

Offline Myrtle

« Reply #314 on: October 05, 2016, 05:16:26 pm »

Myrtle, I am putting together a riverbed section in the Mokopane area, if that works. I would like to give it a run in about 2 weeks time. Its going to be a 500-600km day from Bela Bela.

Hi Neil

Thank you but the run is a 1 week to late for us. Good luck for the Amageza :thumleft:
They range the field and they rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.                                                   Robert Service

Offline Myrtle

« Reply #315 on: October 05, 2016, 05:20:02 pm »
Hi

Hello Myrtle
I am replying on this thread as I could not post the gdb file with a pm. This is from Zeerust to Bray going through Miga and not Mafeking. It is 280 km  long. There is some sandy bits but not much. After Miga about 5km of sandy tweespoor. Then again about 40km before Bray is also sandy. As you know those roads are more about surfing the bits of sand at 140km/h +. I tried to not exceed 140km/h on my bike to prevent damage and not strain my motor. Fuel consumption down from 21km/L to 16 on my XT660R on these roads. After Makgobistad there is a 40km piece of tar road but after that the roads is lovely just to let your bike run.
From Miga to Makgobistad is not fast riding area. Be carefull I have had lots of animals sometimes on this stretch. There is one gate in the sandy bit after Miga. Remember if you ride back in the morning the sun is directly in your eyes making it hard to spot the odd kudu next to the road. If you must go through Mafeking there is a road that has got a bit more sand to bray,also nice high speed stuff.Will post that track tonight.
I have run from Van Zylsrus to home twice in one day without riding in the dark along this area. Just cutting out the Makgobistad - Miga bit but straight from Makgobistad to Mafeking. For me that is just ride stopping only for petrol. Very satisfying rides.

Hi Subie - Thank you. Had a look. If not now then definately after Amageza as soon as i have duel sport bike again.  :thumleft:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #316 on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:52 pm »
Thanks guys, my lifted is sorted. T9er has kindly offered me a lift. :thumleft:

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #317 on: October 06, 2016, 05:49:42 am »
The conversation in that vehicle needs to be recorded and posted on social media

Enjoy the trip boys
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #318 on: October 06, 2016, 07:41:02 am »
Guys. Make sure you have enough water. Yesterday on the route it hit 38 degrees. Not a problem when you're riding or a medivac, but BIG problem if you are waiting for the sweep because your trusty steed left you! See distances in updates SR's online. Distances on page 22. Note stage 5 & 6 distances and plan accordingly for your tires. Read the notes above distance table for where on stage 6 you can change tires.

Make sure you ride with a spanner for your rear wheel as well as wire-cutters. I wrapped wire around my rear sprocket 3 times on one stage. The last time the wire managed to get between the brake calipers. I could not get it out without a rear wheel spanner and rode 60km special with vertically no rear brake. Not much fun in the dark!

I have lots of respect for the guys last year that finished a couple of specials in the dark! You guys were ysters!!

PS: Big thanks to the guys still entering. We really appreciate it!!   :thumleft:

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #319 on: October 06, 2016, 09:44:22 am »
Great to hear that you are sorted BB !