Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Amageza Rallye 2016: Entries OPEN  (Read 40201 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Amageza Rallye 2016: Entries OPEN (South Africa & Namibia)
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2016, 05:00:50 pm »
Will Alex Nel let us taste this in Namibia? Sperrgebiet dunes?

We are all holding thumbs AlexRG, but shhhh, you gonna jinx it!

He has to do everything above board, get the official permissions etc. - An administrative Everest in itself, and he still has to do the roadbook.

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline tehdutchie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2016, 03:52:47 pm »
Will Alex Nel let us taste this in Namibia? Sperrgebiet dunes?

We are all holding thumbs AlexRG, but shhhh, you gonna jinx it!

He has to do everything above board, get the official permissions etc. - An administrative Everest in itself, and he still has to do the roadbook.

It be fun to empty your boots after a days riding down and see if a diamond drops out  ;D

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2016, 07:10:54 pm »
Brings new meaning to 'A diamond in the Rough', doesn't it  ...................  :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2016, 09:23:15 pm »
^^ :imaposer:

Actually the diamond in your boots thing is not that unrealistic if the route does go into the Sperrgebiet.

Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2016, 09:50:19 pm »
People are so dumb as to prize such a useless little thing.

Anyway, the Namib is probably not on for this Amageza at least.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2016, 10:36:35 pm »
People are so dumb as to prize such a useless little thing.

Anyway, the Namib is probably not on for this Amageza at least.

awwww noooo

But Namibia is still on right?

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2016, 09:12:21 am »
Realistically, the border crossings are a pain in the rear for the support crews.  Basically, everything you can find in Southern Nam and Bots can by found in the Northern Cape.  The Sperrgebied has a concession system that was allocated on factors that include number of vehicles that may access it.  I think access to it might be Alexander's greatest challenge ever.  I'm not sure that the amount of pain that it will take will be worth it.

Will be awesome, though...

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2016, 02:44:11 pm »
Come on Bill, the Dakar once went from Paris to Cape Town. It was a ballache but thats part of the drama.

Like Brian forgetting his passport in the bivouac that cost him the podium this year. ;D

Offline tehdutchie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2016, 09:03:44 pm »
More and more news:

Stages:

Upington: Scrutineering & Super Special
Kakamas: Liaison & Special
Springbok: Liaison & Special
Undisclosed: Liaison & Special (marathon)
Upington: Liaison & Special (marathon)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2016, 10:34:07 pm »
I must admit that while its a great for the crews, I find myself really, really disappointed we are not seeing much more than the northern cape and maybe W Cape.

No Bots. No Nam. No North West. Not even something starting up North maybe. Just a series of loops. It could have been so much more.  Meh.

Ah, well. Maybe in 2017 then.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:35:56 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2016, 09:55:23 am »
. . . .mmmm , still going to be fun and tuff ?

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2016, 11:00:44 am »
The last 2 days look very interresting ........
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2016, 11:26:04 am »
I must admit that while its a great for the crews, I find myself really, really disappointed we are not seeing much more than the northern cape and maybe W Cape.

No Bots. No Nam. No North West. Not even something starting up North maybe. Just a series of loops. It could have been so much more.  Meh.

Ah, well. Maybe in 2017 then.  :-\

I must admit to having the same thoughts while reading the email this morning. This will be my first Amageza and the 2015 & 2014 events defined my expectations for this year. One can only hope that the event will still live up to expectations.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2016, 01:35:47 pm »
It will - don't worry.  :thumleft:

Pain, suffering, excitement and achievement can be dished up in heaps in this country alone.

I got the e-mail as well and really think it sounds better, to be honest. In time, as it gets more world-renowned, our neighbours will be begging for the chance to co-host, not so?

Be happy, 10% liaison is a massive (really huge!!!) bonus - in terms of riding enjoyment, they are not pleasant.

And more tech is always a bonus! Variety is the spice, as they say.

Best I stay away from this thread - the voices in my head have started up again .................................
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2016, 08:30:44 pm »
No doubt about it it will still be damn hard to finish.

It has just become a lot less interesting, and is more like a giant enduro route. Not the spirit of adventure, where you have to work your ass off to get somewhere, crossing different terrains and countries.

There are some great routes that could be linked up for example: Start in Jozie, Liaison out to Warmbad, go up to Venda and then back down to Vryburg over 3-4 stages. Then another 3 stages and you are in Cape town via SPringbok. Boom 5000km. 7 stages. Multiple bivouacs. If you were clever you could have a couple of days where the bivouac is the same.

And for guys like Andrew and a few others..they have home field advantage because they know these areas so well.

Anyway. I will suck it up and shut it up now. I can see that last year the Support crews we under prepared and afkakked big time. I suppose they need to be given a break, but I do not see how this rally will progress unless we start to see some new areas.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2016, 08:25:03 am »
I agree it may be less interesting on paper but I think that it will be much better in practice - last year's foray into Botswana was just too much.

Too much for the organisation to handle smoothly and effectively and too much for the bottom half of the field to complete safely.

The small good parts of the stages in Botswana were totally overshadowed and outweighed by the bad bits - ridiculously long liasons, sloppy roadbook errors, insufficient recovery, 100s of kms of riding dead straight cut lines, lack of fuel, poor / no communication and horrible bivouacs just to name a few.

Things really brightened up when we returned back to SA - stuff just worked again - nobody can argue that.

In my opinion Amageza needs to consolidate and perfect the roadbooks, timing, recovery , bivouacs, communication etc - all the things that make a good, memorable and safe rally - before trying to bite off more than it can chew again.

Amageza must not be compared with Dakar - it must forge its own unique identity and the only way it will survive and grow is if it looks after its customers, the participants, and ensure that they return every year and tell others about their good experiences and get them to enter too.

The Northern Cape and Kalahari offers amazing varied terrain - it definitely will not be easy riding - but it does bode well for good, effective and organised logistics - by condensing the area you can get the important bits right  i.e.  roadbooks, timing, recovery , bivouacs, communication etc.

And one of the most important benefits in this tough, depressed economy is that it will radically reduce the cost of this rally for all concerned.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:27:18 am by Jagsding »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2016, 08:52:50 am »
For me to be honest, as long as I can through my leg over the saddle each day and ride, I am not bothered where the days stages will take place, as it will be awesome either way.  As for bivouacs, waiting in the pouring rain and mud soaked grounds, trying to find a dry dry spot, long liaisons, boys sleeping out in the field just adds to the special times and memories you will never forget and as always the comrade amongst everyone in these difficult times, is really fantastic.

BUT

To the Ama Org, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET THE TIMING RIGHT.   :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:53:29 am by markdiver »
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( (( >`..`..`...>< ( ( (( >

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2016, 10:20:23 am »
Wise words Jagsding :thumleft:

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2016, 10:28:40 am »
I agree it may be less interesting on paper but I think that it will be much better in practice - last year's foray into Botswana was just too much.

The Northern Cape and Kalahari offers amazing varied terrain - it definitely will not be easy riding - but it does bode well for good, effective and organised logistics - by condensing the area you can get the important bits right  i.e.  roadbooks, timing, recovery , bivouacs, communication etc.

And one of the most important benefits in this tough, depressed economy is that it will radically reduce the cost of this rally for all concerned.

100% agree to your FULL post.  Roadbook errors was not limited to Bots so we must ignore that in the 'cross border hype'  

Once we crossed the border (and the sclep for the backups) we were still 'just in Africa', same tracks , scenery etc etc. We paid for fuel in Randelas, bought a KitKat and Fanta.  

My take on the Amageza project for the org is simple.  Try everything and retain the good.  And in all fairness, Amageza 2015 had much more BAD than GOOD like liason dist, number of boeviaks, total cost etc etc. (again, forget about the roadbook)

The economy is tough, just look at the number of riders on this forum that can not participate this year (anymore).  Add to that the pre-qualifying requirements and the entrants will be even less. Dakar qualifier status will also put a HUGE strain on the org as I am sure some big nob from ASO will be looking over Alexander's shoulder. (They do everything with MONEY whereas we need to do it with resourcefulness.) We (rockfox) are constantly looking at ways to reduce the cost to get a rally bike ready to allow more competitors in the sport.

Lastly, the 2015 roadbook issue.  Looking at WC Baja me thinks this issue will be greatly reduced.  The riders was informed of new speed restrictions and other issues the night before during rider briefing.  The central boevieak took a lot of strain off everyone and the Gyro proved itself as cost effective during planning and in stage pre run.  I dont think Alexander ever had the same 'birds eye view' of the competitors like during WC Baja.

When we develop software we always use the following principle: Get the basics to work first, then test new technologies and lastly, add the 'Lipstiffy and Eyeshadow' last.  (Who of you would like a beautiful bike that cant go faster than 20kph?   >:D)

Just my half Randella

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2016, 05:52:04 pm »
On a different note...
Can anyone get to the following web page to book a tracking unit?
http://rentx.co.za/rental

I had some correspondence with Kyle from rentx earlier in the year but really just got a "works for me" response.
Have tried from work, home & phone and each time I receive a 403 error (Forbidden).