TECH TORQUE : USING LATENT SPACE IN THE FUEL CELL NICHE R1200 GSA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyman

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
TECH TORQUE : USING LATENT SPACE IN THE FUEL CELL NICHE R1200 GSA.
Has anyone any great ideas about what container fits snugly in the void space in the RHS of the adventure fuel cell?

There must be someone who has already used this space to store items that need to be out the way but available in an emergency.
Behind this trim panel on all the R 1200 GS Adventure bikes is a 88 mm diameter X 210 mm long cylindrical niche.

Removing the trim panel you can easily see this niche.
It is used for an emissions and fuel  gazoning restricter thingamy on European bikes. but left void on the SA bikes.
The tank mould is cast for this thingamy.

For perspective, see the 500 ml oil bottle nestling in this void. but the oil bottle is only 80 mm and 190 mm high so is too small for a snug fit.... but a passable hideaway anyway if nothing better is latched into the void.

Viewed from between the forks from the inside, there are two 5mm threaded anchors cast into the tank by Messrs. Motorrad.
So one can make a harness to secure whatever you put into the void.

For perspective, the soda stream bottle has the ideal diameter, but is a few mm too high to fit.

I'll be trawling the Plastics Warehouse & Mumbo's Plastics for a suitable container.
I imaging one can put 700 grams of tools/fluids/recovery straps, etc
into this void.

BMW's do not use oil between services, so oil is not really a need to carry on deep country adventure biking.
More useful to keep in such a container is an oil filter with its socket wrench and an 18" tube- these are spares I carry on every excursion into the remote vastness, but have never yet had to sue for myself.
So having them permanently on the bike in this out-of-the-way place is a nifty idea.
Out of space, out of mind and yet there if and when you do need it.

Attachments

• 1 RHS trim panel on the fuel cell.jpg
    1 RHS trim panel on the fuel cell.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 2 Trim panel removed, shows hidden compartment.jpg
    2 Trim panel removed, shows hidden compartment.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 3 Trim panel removed, shows hidden compartment.jpg
    3 Trim panel removed, shows hidden compartment.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 4 hidden 1-litre compartment seen from inside.jpg
    4 hidden 1-litre compartment seen from inside.jpg