Adjusting CO on Yamaha fuel injection XTZ/TDM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhogg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
think I have started this in the wrong section

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=185963.0

The gist of it is:

I've known for a long time that on most Yamaha bikes you can adjust the mixture richness by using the instrument console. Certainly on the 1200 and 900 twins and most of the R's. I have never worried about it too much because the bike runs just fine anyway and the fuel consumption is pretty frugal.

However, the wisdom is that Yamaha set the idle CO at around 1% which does detract from low speed pick up. I seem to recall that  for a reasonable fuel mixture for low speed running you want to see around 3-6% CO.

The adjustment itself is a piece of piss. The allowable values are -128 to +128.  My one came set at left cylinder 14 right cylinder 16. At around value 80-100 you can hear the engine note deepen and the idle slow down.

Do you think I can assume that this is like the pilot air adjustment screw and I should be a bit on the lean side of this point or is it more complicated than that? I imagine that trial and error will get me there but any thoughts would be welcome. I have chosen around 40 as a trial. I don't have a CO meter and I'm not sure who actually has them.

The bike is a standard TDM900 with the airbox slow speed running flap and catalytic converter removed.  The airbox flap was not Mr Yamaha's brightest moment.