Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: To Think Bike or not to Think Bike  (Read 2211 times)

Oppad

To Think Bike or not to Think Bike
« on: February 03, 2006, 12:03:48 pm »
Hein has asked that we start a separate thread on the TB campaign and our feelings about it. Mine is simple: It's a good idea and should be supported but I have reservations about the arrogance of some TB disciples. Anyone else care to throw us a pearl of wisdom?

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 12:05:52 pm »
I like the idea. We all know MP did his speed run, and thats been dealt with. He tells me he is out the TBike campaign now too. So.

I am happy with it, think its a great iniatitive.
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 12:16:17 pm »
to good a campaign to disregard - i support the initiative, not the persons that seem intent on ruining it for other bikers!

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 12:38:52 pm »
i too support it wholeheartedly.
yes, sot has mentioned the arrogance of some involved. its true but one always finds bad eggs in every batch.
i am the (unofficial) rep here in the cape town region for this TB campaign. actually not too much has been done to date, but i am working on it.

unlike the rather popular TB bulletin board, we are free to do as we like. All i suggested, and still do, is a link to the actual website as a sign of solidarity/support. we were all impressed with the video that was linked earlier today (and mailed around to some) - and no matter what anybody says, it IS an eye-opener and it DOES happen on our roads.

there you go :) i have said my say  :sign10:  :sign12:

shark_za

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 12:47:30 pm »
Not unconditionally, the conditions are that thier program is run in a non corrupt diciplined way, not just useless talk and anger to cagers.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 12:50:16 pm »
It's a great idea... it does not seem to get to the general public tho, i would like to do more.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 01:30:53 pm »
I support it in my own way. In all types of campaigns you would not always agree with the stance/direction of the organisers. Does not mean you disagree with the principle of the message.

Give some credit to the okes who launhed it. Took time/effort and money to launch and organize.

Ja. I can also not see the logic of guy preaching TB towards motorists but at the same time jaag at 200+km/h without a number plate. Maybe to make his speed trips more safe for himself? Maybe I'm wrong. I biased anyway. Don't like excessive speed in any kind of wheeled vehicle. Just my 2 c.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline droffarc

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 01:46:01 pm »
I think I have already ade my feelings clear in a previous thread. I am all for roadsafety.

Just this morning I had a staff member phone in from Mafikeng to say that he had just had an accident with his car betwen Mafikeng and the Botswana Border and needed assistance.

What I have done in the past when encountering a bike down on the road is stayed by the rider till he is casavac-ed, contacted his folks, ensured that his bike goes to the right people and then followed up at the hospital to make sure he is cared for.

This sould be a further aim of Think Bike - roadside assistance.
But mainly the EDUCATION of riders, drivers and pedestrians - like the movie posted today. Road safety.
Think Bike should never be about klapping other road users in any way,, people do make mistakes on the road. The cars collide with each other as well as with bikes.
Think bike should further not have anything to do with arguments with vendors regarding anything. If a guy does not want to sponsor - so be it, no need to fight about it. :roll:
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline mango

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 08:43:53 pm »
I'm all for the TB campaign, but as others have already said,
I don't like arrogance in any form......

TBikers really need to practice what they preach.....and to stop
putting all the blame on car drivers. I've seen some crazy
manouvers by bikers, which does not endear us to the car drivers.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 10:01:12 am »
Arrogance? Please clarify this comment, not to critisize but to try and deal with the perseption. We (I am the vice chairman of the committee) welcome all types of critisism, and would like to better the campaign in all ways. We have been subject to critisism, sometimes rightfully so, and are doing what we can to improve.
This campaign is going to grow, but we need the help of all bikers to make it a success.
PM me your critisism's (sp?) I will keep them confidential and will do my best to improve the campaign.
Our 'Speedster' pulled out of the campaign of his own free will and removed all TB decals from his car/bikes, yes he was irresponsible and we have all told him so, but he is a fellow biker and we had to help him. Hopefully he has learnt a lesson.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline mango

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 03:47:02 pm »
Quote from: "Adventurer"
Arrogance? Please clarify this comment, not to critisize but to try and deal with the perseption. We (I am the vice chairman of the committee) welcome all types of critisism, and would like to better the campaign in all ways. We have been subject to critisism, sometimes rightfully so, and are doing what we can to improve.
This campaign is going to grow, but we need the help of all bikers to make it a success.
PM me your critisism's (sp?) I will keep them confidential and will do my best to improve the campaign.
Our 'Speedster' pulled out of the campaign of his own free will and removed all TB decals from his car/bikes, yes he was irresponsible and we have all told him so, but he is a fellow biker and we had to help him. Hopefully he has learnt a lesson.

Adventurer, perhaps arrogance is the wrong word, but again, I stress that I am all for the TB campaign.....I think it's necessary to make car drivers, as well as bikers aware of road safety, but as long as there's talk about how fast some bikers have ridden, illegal nighttime racing,bragging ( or is it just talk?) about breaking car rearview mirrors when lanesplitting, paranoia about cops out to get just bikers, and how irresponsible car drivers are. It seems they are always at fault.

When a biker says that he will never nod to a fellow biker who isn't ATGATT to me is silly. It's ok to talk about speeds that have been ridden, but not ok to be caught. Once again, I say bikers have to practice what they preach, and if they want respect from car drivers, they need to earn it by behaving responsibly....I am no angel, and have gone over the speed limit ( yes, it's possible with the the KLR) Have done irresponsible things while on the bike, but I do now know my limits, and don't try to push them. Speed kills, and believe me, I have also said while driving a car, I didn't see that biker coming.....because he was riding at highspeed.
Why are the plates barely visible on sportsbiker? I do hear a lot about
ATGATT, and find it a good thing to highlight, but that isn't the only thing
what TB is about.

Hats off to all of you doing a great job with the TB campaign, spending your free time educating both bikers and car drivers alike. We all need educating.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 04:14:57 pm »
I couldn't agree more, Mango, we will never correct the biking attitude as a whole, but as long as we save one life, I think we have succeeded. I am the first to malign the braggarts on the forum, Wim Skywalker amongst them , wheelying and then expecting the cars to see him with his headlight pointing in the sky!
But as said before, please keep the critisism coming, it can only help to build a better campaign.
I for one, have started riding more responsibly, always keeping in mind that I have TB stickers on my bike, I cannot expect the general public to act more responsibly if I am acting like a hooligan.
Myself and the rest of the 'team' have learnt a lot recently, none of us are angels, and none of us have the required skills to run this campaign perfectly, but we are doing our best with what we have. Safe riding.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 04:16:35 pm »
I think, that if the TB campaign prevents just one accident on the roads it is a great thing, so I support it.

What about putting a link on the site to the TB site with the "We support the Think Bike Campaign"?

:?:
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline mango

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 04:35:09 pm »

Myself and the rest of the 'team' have learnt a lot recently, none of us are angels, and none of us have the required skills to run this campaign perfectly, but we are doing our best with what we have. Safe riding.

:thumbleft:
I still need to order that T-shirt

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »
I think a link to the TB website is a good idea but not visa-versa.All of us here are probably aware of the TB website, Simon actually did us a favour by shutting down his forum, but there are very few on the TB website that are into the DS type of biking.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 07:05:28 pm »
Mango, hold off on the T-shirt for a week or so, a ladies version is coming out, same colours and basic design but with cropped sleeves and feminine cut. I will pm you as soon as they are available.

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
  • If not now, when?
    • Botsepehi Consulting
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 09:00:59 pm »
I support the TB campaign, bought the T's, stickers (all sizes) and "donated" money to help it.

But, I agree with some statements that certain "members" of TB can be clasified as arrogant, selfrightious (sp??) and above the law. I think the aim of TB is to educate both bikers & cagers the dangers on the road, and that both parties should be considerate.

I have no problem with bikes with no plates...the owners choice, and he will pay when caught. If I owned a superbike, I would not put a plate on it (ok, maybe a small one). Speeding?? We all do it, in our cars / on our bikes.

We must look past the individuals and at the bigger picture. I say we must put a link to the TB website (not the forum - there is to much akkies there!!!!) to show that we support them. I'm sure Bucc will link us back (our main page!!!!).

My R1   :roll:

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 07:48:25 pm »
This thread of ours has raised a similar thread in the Think Bike forum by asking for constructive criticism (see how its spelt adventurer?  :D ) concerning the campaign.

Looking at our poll, a vast majority do support the idea. Looking at the comments written here on the otherhand, I notice variations as to how the campaign is percieved.

We might not all agree with all that is going on. Some of our comments have raised a few hackles. Maybe rightly so. Maybe not.
I am not here to put any oil on the water, but I also dont want (as suggested) a flaming war to develop between the two forums.

This was my response in the thread at the time.

this is what "saddens" me, but i see it coming too........ its now degenarating to finger pointing.

unfortunately, this is only going to alienate two local forums. nothing more and Think Bike will suffer.
bike riding is the common factor between all of us. i know that if and when a biker stands on the side of the road, other bikers will be the first to stop, regardless of what kind of bike is in the shit. (the inborn brotherhood (i actually dont like this term) will be the reason)

Inside all of us there is a desire to have a perfect world. to be able to get up in the morning and just believe we will all have a safe riding day. Sadly, quite a few of us are testament to the fact that its not the case. its not a safe (biking) world out there.
Think Bike to me, is the answer to work towards this "perfect world".

I also believe there are arseholes in any biking discipline - lets not forget that. Catman, you are right about one thing. To point fingers is ridiculous as we who do point fingers dont even know the bikers we like to use as (only bad) examples.
One question each and every one of us must ask ourselves....... what are we doing to make TB a success?
Lets rise above maliciousness and be positive about it all.

Yes, TB is still in its infancy. And looking at what is being done up there is good stuff. Keep it up.

As a footnote.
i will remain a member of both boards as both have an appeal to me. I have HUGE respect for most of the members for their knowledge, experiences and willingness to offer help. oh, and the humour

personally, i do hope that we can all just think about the TB campaign and what it actually stands for. For those that do believe that its a good cause, then make an effort to do something to help it along in this, the early stages.

thanks (waffling over  :wink: )

SauRoN

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 08:27:41 pm »
With Regards to TB being Pro Speeding : In the little bit under a year that I've had the GSX-R I have not had ONE dodgy moment because of speed. Not one.

However I was taken out by a ignorant/blind cage driver in a Renault Scenic who didn't bother looking in his mirror, and would have taken out the car next to him, had I not been in the picture. This was when doing perfectly legal speeds, and WAY below the speed limit on the N1.

So my conclusion is this : It is perfectly safe to speed, when you are in the position to judge that you are in control (or more in control) of the situation. However as soon as you judge that the situation is beyond your control you should be sticking to the legal limits.

By this I mean that when lane splitting in morning rush hour, there is NOTHING in your control. If one of those cages decides to change lanes without looking there is NOTHING that you can do about it.

However on the weekend, on the open road that scenario changes dramatically towards your favour, and you are also offered many more opportunities to enlighten motorists of your position on the road.

So what I'm trying to say here is that Think Bike is about exactly that THINKING BIKE. You need to THINK that at 7am-8am on a Monday morning travelling along the N1 that every else is an idiot, and thus you need to stick to speeds well below the limits.

On the weekend you need to THINK that naturally there are less cars on the road, and naturally you tend to use routes not preferred by cars, thus dramatically increasing your chances. Actually on the weekend you should be worried about other bikes, than the bloody cages.

*Sorry that "small" rant turned into a big one, and I might have lost the point somewhere in there.

My point (or one of them) is that it's completely dependant on the situation.

Offline SauRoN

• Puppy
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 08:43:42 pm »

But as said before, please keep the critisism coming, it can only help to build a better campaign.

Yup, if it doesn't kill you, then it makes you stronger!