Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ..KTM 640 Adventure reliability...  (Read 2676 times)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
Re: ..KTM 640 Adventure reliability...
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 01:29:25 pm »
G650 xChallenge with a touratech 23l tank is seriously appealing!!!!

shark_za

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 01:41:57 pm »
45o is a genuine enduro machine, going to be hell riding it as a dual purpose.
On the pocket as well as the ass.

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 12:38:52 am »
being stubborn is a a problem all KTM'ers suffer from.
Are you sure?  I can see that the poor buying decisions you made in the past have hurt to the extent that you now want a new BMW.  Why don't you buy a second hand BMW from a dodgy non-BMW dealer?  One with 600 km from ABC midnight bikes down the road, I am sure you will be confident after a short ride around the block that it is in perfect shape, and you will not be worried that it is not on a BMW shop floor.  And he will let you take it before you are committed to paying for it too.  Great guys.   ??? 8)

A new KTM might have made you happy too, who knows.... 

Just take care not to generalize too much in an attempt to hide the pain and your own mistakes.  You must buy the BM and enjoy it, but justifying it on the basis of the "bad" of the KTM's and not on the "good" of the BM just opens you up for more disappointment.  Look for the bike that does it for you, buy it, ride it, and enjoy it.  It's that simple. ;)   

Hope your new GSA and X5 will render your KTM / Landrover days only a distant nightmare from your poor past.   8) O0
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:42:46 am by Adventurer »
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 02:47:28 am »
Are you sure?  I can see that the poor buying decisions you made in the past have hurt to the extent that you now want a new BMW.  Why don't you buy a second hand BMW from a dodgy non-BMW dealer?  One with 600 km from ABC midnight bikes down the road, I am sure you will be confident after a short ride around the block that it is in perfect shape, and you will not be worried that it is not on a BMW shop floor.  And he will let you take it before you are committed to paying for it too.  Great guys.   ??? 8)

Just take care not to generalize too much in an attempt to hide the pain and your own mistakes.  You must buy the BM and enjoy it, but justifying it on the basis of the "bad" of the KTM's and not on the "good" of the BM just opens you up for more disappointment.  Look for the bike that does it for you, buy it, ride it, and enjoy it.  It's that simple. ;)   

Hope your new GSA and X5 will render your KTM / Landrover days only a distant nightmare from your poor past.   8) O0

Well said
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:43:37 am by Adventurer »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 09:49:50 am »
Good for you KE, sending your moans to a BMW dealer will make a world of difference.....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »
with all due respect to all KTM owners out there, my conclusion is:
the only reason you ride a KTM is because you dont know that there is a world of better bikes out there, and you refuse to even contemplate that perhaps KTM is overhyped - kind of like land rover owners.

all i can say is - KTM owners dont know what they are missing out on.

it says "ready to race"
they dont say anything about reliability or comfort.  ;)

Holy crap :o

This is an arrogant bs statement if I ever read one. I for one, tested a lot of BM products (fine machines), and owned one till it was stolen. I chose the KTM, because it offers something the BMW cant. 

I wont mention what that is, to stop the brand bashing potential war that you have started. Crikey, K - I thought we all got over that hurdle.

I for one think that BMW offer the best aftermarket service on the market (but Nivea will disagree vehemently currently) and their bikes are awesome for their application. But still I persist in the Orange fold as its the best bike for MY application.

Your comments are so left field its ridiculous and I hope guys can see past your post.

power, comfort, handling, and service - it all seems better than the junk from austria

Oh Lord - I didnt know they grew WHINE in JHB....

Of course, I could say that all junk people come from Joburg, but that would be a legitimate response from my experience with these two posts. Alas - I wont - cos I know many fine people from there. Sounds like being stubborn is something that you suffer from - dont lump us Orange owners in with this crap.

Apart from that, I hope your BMW serves you brilliantly. And if it doesnt, Lord help you. Will you go Japanese from there?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 03:52:30 pm »

Apart from that, I hope your BMW serves you brilliantly. And if it doesnt, Lord help you. Will you go Japanese from there?

Should have done that from the start  :peepwall: :pot: ;D
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline krazy-eyes

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 10:55:40 am »

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

i was really refering to the fact that a lot of ktm'ers refuse to accept that just maybe, there are other products that offer more in terms of handling and comfort - i think all makes suffer from their respective let downs when it comes to reliability.

and just for the record: i bought my 950 new, and a 640 (or any bike for that matter) with 600km on the clock shouldnt leak oil and have a carb problem.

;)

Offline krazy-eyes

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 11:01:50 am »
and owned one till it was stolen.

sorry lito, that bike wasnt stolen...........it ran away from all the abuse you were putting it through, and your 950 adv comitted suicide by diving in front of a car  :imaposer:  >:D

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:18:05 am by krazy-eyes »

Offline malJohann

• Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:02 am »
Thanks for the input. :eek7:
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 12:31:56 pm »

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

i was really refering to the fact that a lot of ktm'ers refuse to accept that just maybe, there are other products that offer more in terms of handling and comfort - i think all makes suffer from their respective let downs when it comes to reliability.

and just for the record: i bought my 950 new, and a 640 (or any bike for that matter) with 600km on the clock shouldnt leak oil and have a carb problem.

;)

I still don't understand why you sent your letter of complaint to a BMW dealer. What has this got to do with them? Or are you looking for a good discount when you buy your GSA?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 12:33:12 pm »
and owned one till it was stolen.

sorry lito, that bike wasnt stolen...........it ran away from all the abuse you were putting it through, and your 950 adv comitted suicide by diving in front of a car  :imaposer:  >:D

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :ricky:

Offline ROOI

• XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 12:41:10 pm »

Should have done that from the start  :peepwall: :pot: ;D

+10000
FTS

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 04:41:59 pm »
Started with:

Now moving to:
"a lot of ktm'ers refuse to accept that just maybe, there are other products that offer more in terms of handling and comfort"

"All" includes me, and "a lot of" might do too.  And handling and comfort means different things to different people.  I will accept anything you say if you present it as your own opinion / perspective, but leave others out of it.  Why do you get up tight about "all" and "a lot of" KTM riders?  Share your own experiences (and I have always liked your stories when you did that) but leave me and others out of it if you don't have facts.  Just accept that sometimes you are in for a hiding in life and many of us have been there.  That 640 saw you coming, and you just have not found the problem.  It could be something simple like the plug cap, and oil comes out through a seal / gasket / o-ring.  Should be easy to fix.  Or it could be a complete lemon, who knows.  Lets present it like that, simple..... 

all i can say is - KTM owners dont know what they are missing out on
.   How do you know?
There might be some KTM riders out there who have done a few miles on BM's.  Irrelevant...... 

Go for a ride and share your story!  That is what we are here for.   :)

www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 05:43:56 pm »
What can you dogs tell me about KTM 640 Adventure reliability, and please, I want the good as well as the bad. Also, is it a good commuter?
Buy a yamaha xt660 with the extreme conversion (or do it yourself) it does off road very well and also serves as a good commuter.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »
 :peepwall:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 06:54:51 pm »
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 07:03:13 pm »
Just ducking incase of shit flying on this oh so touchy subject ;D
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 10:52:24 pm »
Buy a yamaha xt660 with the extreme conversion (or do it yourself) it does off road very well and also serves as a good commuter.
Unfortunetly it's a lemon and not race ready  :peepwall:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 06:32:17 am »
But it dont leak oil!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200