Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690 wiggly-nigglies  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Xpat

690 wiggly-nigglies
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:52:35 pm »
So I'm back from 3 weeks riding in Moz and Zim, and boy was it tough - combination of heat, sand and lack of fitness has bitten me in the ass properly. However I've manage to ride at least part of the Moz coast between Maracuene and Vilanculos (I wanted to ride it all on sand) and it was good workout - here some pics:

Now the questions. While the bike performed well - especially with the 14 sprocket and very low tyre pressures as advice by Bill the Bong (thanks), I have run into few wigglies that annoyed me on the trip:

- Display and rev meter stopped working already in Maputo. The rev counter will on restart rest itself to random revs and then show bullshit revs or just go to zero. Any advice what it can be and how to fix it?
- Stupid rear break pedal spring broke off (bike had about 3000 km) and hence the free-play wasn't there and the rear brake occassionaly failed due to overheating. I've heard about the spring problem on internet, but didn't come prepared. Is there alternative spring - better than the KTM POS, that I can use?
- sidestand too long causing many fall-overs on petrol stations or borders and leading to the only damage of the trip - broken front brake lever (on Zim/Bots border crossings of all places). This is not the problem on standard bike I think, but mine has properly set-up sag (and new springs for the load) and with the luggage it is almost impossible to use it unless it is on the downhill side. Is there any alternative stand I can use?

Ta

Offline LONG BOB

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Re: 690 wiggly-nigglies
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:44:46 am »
Hi Xpat, what tyre you running on the back ? and I have to tell you your ride reports are the best. a book should be in the making.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:55:45 am »
subscribe - we sell the KTM 690 billet replacement rear brake lever, but I had not heard about issues with the OEM spring, so we would consider bundling a replacement spring WITH the replacement billet lever...

subscribe.
Chris & Team
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:08:55 am »
I was running E09 Dakar front back - I like them on these trips, because they last. However they are very hard and I battled at my usual pressures of about 1.2 - 1.3 front - Bill the Bong adviced to run them at 0.8 and that worked much better.

@Chris: the rear brake spring is known issue - I have read about it in few places, just don't remember where and cannot find what the solution is. i had actually the billet brake pedal as spare on me (too lazy to change it at home), but it was the spring that broke.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:10:03 am by Xpat »

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:17:14 am »
Isn't there a way you can use a centre stand ? That I think would work for your type of riding, Again thanks for sharing your adventures ! :thumleft:
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:19:03 am »

@Chris: the rear brake spring is known issue - I have read about it in few places, just don't remember where and cannot find what the solution is. i had actually the billet brake pedal as spare on me (too lazy to change it at home), but it was the spring that broke.
ok, thanks, will watch this thread - I am sure the 'college of knowledge' (WD members ;) ) will shortly have a solution!
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Xpat

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 08:23:38 am »
Isn't there a way you can use a centre stand ? That I think would work for your type of riding, Again thanks for sharing your adventures ! :thumleft:

I don't have centre stand on 690 and do not want to put it in - kind of defeats purpose of lightweight bike. I have that aluminium little stand stick to work on the bike if needed - I used it to change the sprockets, and while a bit tricky, it works.

If nothing else comes up, I might just get somebody to cut the standard stand a bit shorter, but wanted to know if there may be off the shelf solution.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 08:41:24 am »
The spring breaks due to the (lack of) radius of the hole in the lever.  Easiest is to drill the hole out (5mm) and use a zip tie to tie the spring through its eyelet to the lever (use an orange one, they are quicker).  I simply used a spring in the junk box and this has lasted since 2013 on my bike.  Any spring at more or less the appropriate length should be OK.  I'll check my zip tie tonight, its likely due for replacement.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:27:39 pm by Bill the Bong »

Offline witblitz

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 10:07:24 am »
When I have the safari tank on and full of fuel, I have the same problem with the bike pulling over.

The bike straightens up while on the stand due to the weight of the additional fuel in the tanks and luggage "pulling" the bike upright. You can cut the stand shorter and weld a foot on if you are going to continue using the bike like this.

Not sure what model you have, but if it is not the 2009, 2010, 2011 R models, you can get the side stand from one of the other models which is shorter. I think the stands are pricey though.
The other option is to grind away a tiny bit (And I mean tiny) from the stand bracket to allow the stand to swing slightly further forward. The stand foot makes contact with the ground closer to the front wheel, thereby, allowing the bike to lean over more. I have done this on someone else bike.

What was your fuel consumption like with the 14T?

As for the rear brakes. I know this does not solve the spring failure but make sure the brake fluid reservoir is not overfilled. I made this mistake and had my rear brake not releasing due to this.

Offline CliveG

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:19:15 am »
Xpat, I had a KTM 990 SMT and one day while riding I looked at the speedo
and it was on zero, with the rest of screen blank, I slowed down to pull over and
and all come back on. I pulled off and as the rev`s went over 4000 everything went
zero and blank, slowed down and as rev`s got below 4000 everything came on.
I increased speed again and found that at 4000 revs, just before everything went
blank there was a flashing code. I googled the code and came up with the rec/reg
was stuffed. New up rated mosfet rec/reg sorted it out.

Maybe it is the same problem, check charging ?  Mine was overcharging.
Husqvarna Nuda 900, BMW R80 GS, BMW G650 X Country, 2016 Beta 300 X Trainer,
Ducati 900 Darmah SSD, Ducati 900 SS, Ducati 900 Darmah SD, Ducati 860, Norton 750 Commander, Triton 650, Suzuki T500, Yamaha RZ500 x 2, Yamaha RD350YPVS, Yamaha RD350 air cooled,  Yamaha RT360 x 2.

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

Offline Xpat

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 12:50:30 pm »
Thank you all for the advice!

@ Bill, isn't the spring together with cable tie too long to provide necessary resistance - I would thought that the length of spring was such to provide necessary flexing and with the added length of cable tie isn't the resistance too little? Anyway, thank you for advice, I will try it and see what happens.

@ Clive: I was actually wanting to change the regulator for mosfet, just didn't manage to get one before the trip. But just out of interest would the rest of the electrics on the bike (ignition, etc.) work if regulator has failed? You are saying that your's was overcharging - wouldn't that blow fuses or some such? Again, thanks for advice - I will try to figure out how to check the voltage on the regulator.

@ Witblitz: I have 2014 so I guess I already have the shorter stand as I believe earlier models had longer suspension. Will probably try to get the stand shortened somehow.

Not sure what the consumption was with 14. Inevitably with higher revs I was ridding slower (around 100 - 110 kmh on tar and good dirt) and the consumption I think (I didn't check it much) was about 5.8l/100 kmh. However, the story was different in sand - I actually run out of petrol about 10 km before Vilanculos (luckily on tar) when I thought I have comfortably another 200 km in tank. The problem was I didn't fill-up my tanks completely on the last refuel in order not to heft to weight in the sand. But still I have refilled about 150 km before with rear tank full (12l) and one of my front tanks full (about 6-7 litres) so I was really taken by surprise to run out. The consumption must have been really bad in sand, my lack of skill contributing undoubtedly.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 02:01:51 pm »
I used another spring, mine broke.

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 02:17:31 pm »
Not sure what the consumption was with 14. Inevitably with higher revs I was ridding slower (around 100 - 110 kmh on tar and good dirt) and the consumption I think (I didn't check it much) was about 5.8l/100 kmh. However, the story was different in sand - I actually run out of petrol about 10 km before Vilanculos (luckily on tar) when I thought I have comfortably another 200 km in tank. The problem was I didn't fill-up my tanks completely on the last refuel in order not to heft to weight in the sand. But still I have refilled about 150 km before with rear tank full (12l) and one of my front tanks full (about 6-7 litres) so I was really taken by surprise to run out. The consumption must have been really bad in sand, my lack of skill contributing undoubtedly.

Did you check how much fuel it took front and back after you ran out? Wasn't maybe a feed/breather issue? Mine occasionally empties the rear faster, sometimes even filling the front pushing fuel out the breathers

Enjoying the bike at least or are the issues putting you off?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Xpat

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 03:25:47 pm »
Naah, I like it. These little wiggly niglies happen even on Japanese bike - provided you modify it heavily like I did  :).

What counts is that the bike made it through mechanically with no problem and I have abused it a lot lugging it in low revs for 100s of kms  through Moz sand in the middle of summer. 14 sprocket helped a lot and was ideal for the Moz riding - even gave the bike that thumper feeling that I thought short stroke cannot do. A bit short for the race through Zim and Bots back, but I could have swapped back to 15 - just too wasted to try.

I have to say though that it would be so much better  with wide ratio gearbox - ala 630, eliminating need for sprocket changes. And I think my Husky 630 would be somewhat better in Moz (and worse on open dirt in Zim and Bots) - but that is probably more because of the enduro form and 690 in enduro trim would probably also be more agile without the rally kit.

Regarding the fuel - don't remember exactly anymore, but I'm pretty sure it was empty and I had to fill-up. It wasn't vacuum lock - I had that later in Bots when I run out of petrol in front and switched on the tap from back, because my rollie bag was sitting on the rear tank's cap (I have aftermarket one) blocking the breather hose. But that is easy fix, will try to see if there is any way I can get that breather pipe work differently - or different cap.

Offline adamktm

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 04:15:50 pm »
When does the R&R start Xpat?

I think the best option would be to shorten the stand slightly
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 04:19:59 pm »
Where's the ride report?????? It looks like a good one!
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline wolf skaap

Re:
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »
Nice!
I'm happy to see that you like the 690. Are you going to sell the XTZ now?

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
Let the good times roll!

Offline CliveG

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 05:40:22 pm »
Xpat, put a voltage meter on your battery, then start bike. let idle for a while
and watch meter, then you may have to rev bike just a bit to get voltage up,
with standard regulator. When mine was over charging, I still rode about
100k`s before I got home. No fuses blown, just not rev-counter, etc, working.
When I checked it, it shot to 18 volts before I hit the kill switch.
After the new Mosfet reg/rec voltage when to 14.2 volts, while idling and
stayed there, even with headlights and slight revs.

Here is the link where I got mine from, now all my bikes have one fitted. My
X country and brand new Nuda, which have the same crap rec/reg, all
now charge at 14.2 volts, right from idle, headlights or not.

http://motoelectrixcom.myshopify.com/

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:34:36 pm by CliveG »
Husqvarna Nuda 900, BMW R80 GS, BMW G650 X Country, 2016 Beta 300 X Trainer,
Ducati 900 Darmah SSD, Ducati 900 SS, Ducati 900 Darmah SD, Ducati 860, Norton 750 Commander, Triton 650, Suzuki T500, Yamaha RZ500 x 2, Yamaha RD350YPVS, Yamaha RD350 air cooled,  Yamaha RT360 x 2.

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 06:47:59 pm »
Zip-tie brake spring:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 05:38:12 pm »
Thank you Clive and Bill, I'll follow your advice  :thumleft:.

@ adamktm & popipants: I will do report, but will take week or two to recover, process pictures and videos.

@ wolf skaap: thanks. Yes, I should sell Tenere - I just hate the hassle so may procrastinate on that for a while. That's probably why I'm saddled with 6 bikes now.