Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Unveiling of Octavia - Custom G650x  (Read 8828 times)

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
Re: Unveiling of Octavia - Custom G650x
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 07:17:57 am »
nee oh hel, die enigste ding leliker as dit is seker n 800GS of fiat multipla

Offline The_Crow

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • Bike Hub
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 07:54:48 am »
There's a feeling I get
When I look to the West
And my spirit is crying for leaving

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR WÜRTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:40 am »
Dis 'n pragtige 2wiel yster :thumleft:
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:48 am »

Offline lecap

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 10:41:34 am »
Well saying I don't like it is one thing saying why I don't like it IMHO is a different story:

The bike very obviously is a "design study" and not intended for road use. (No chain guard, no flickers, no number plate bracket). This does not do it for me. A bike which you can't ride ??? The very short tail and the rather long swing arm make it look almost like some hill climb tool.

The Lockheed Nighthawk look IMHO is past it's expiry date and has been used ad nauseam. Good grief even the design donating stealth fighters have been retired for almost eight years now.

If you d the stealth look I would like to see something far less conventional in instrumentation and headlight. The round headlight and the instrument panel don't match the stealth fighter design of the tank / seat / tail.

The low exhaust with the lunch box muffler: No thanks. Not my thing. I would have retained the OEM routing of the header and fitted a 3/4 height trumpet. Maybe something with a stealth fighter edgy outer shell to match the other body work.

It's a bit difficult to tell from the pictures but the seating position looks a bit awkward (slightly back from the XCh, lower bars). This bike definitely could do with rear sets.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 10:50:08 am »
It's nice.... but....

Dont like the 3 spoke wheels or the way the exhaust is done.

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:49 pm »
While naked bikes  are not my cup of tea,
I like it, it looks different
personally would like to see a wheel hugger and a chain guard ? understanding my mechinical skill only rivals a Chimpanzee sticking a twig in a hole to catch ants?
DS
Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 04:43:14 pm »
Not my cup of anything
In fact i think having an unveiling for this is overly grandious 

For a change I fully agree with you.

There is nothing sexy about a 650 Rotax motor. Nothing.

So the heart of the project is rotten from the get-go.

Bikes are supposed to be cute, sexy, or scary.

This one is none of the above.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 05:20:12 pm »
Nothing sexy about the 650 Rotax motor. Except that it's unbreakable, reliable, performs well and is frugal with fuel.
I think I'd rather have that than sexy.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 05:50:21 pm »
Nothing sexy about the 650 Rotax motor. Except that it's unbreakable, reliable, performs well and is frugal with fuel.

You know, there was a time I thought so too.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline lecap

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 09:15:44 am »
:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing5:  :jokercolor:

Bwhahahahahahahaha!

Wait I'll take some pictures today.

I also have missed the "performs well" part to date. The F  / ST were phlegmatic. The GS / GSD felt as if they had a bungee cord for a throttle cable. The G was an improvement apparently due to improved fuel management. Still nothing that blows my hair back.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:18:56 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline limacon

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 10:41:28 am »
:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing5:  :jokercolor:

Bwhahahahahahahaha!

I also have missed the "performs well" part to date. The F  / ST were phlegmatic. The GS / GSD felt as if they had a bungee cord for a throttle cable. The G was an improvement apparently due to improved fuel management. Still nothing that blows my hair back.

I can see a X-Challenge vs DR race coming up soon!  :laughing4: :thumleft: :thumleft:
“God is a comedian playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh.” ~ Voltaire

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 02:59:48 pm »
Okay, I'll revise my wording, since anyone especially someone who works on lots of engines can give examples of blow ups whatever the particular brand.
And any engine can be destroyed if the rider is abusive enough, or the owner neglects such essentials as oil, filters, coolant or warning lights.

So, instead of unbreakable, read  bloody tough, and as for performs well perhaps that's subjective, but to me, cruising with 145 on the clock, then cracking the throttle and feeling not just a creep, but a genuine surge, I reckon aint bad for a single cylinder bike.

Having owned a couple of bikes with the Rotax motor I know there are a couple of issues like the water pump, which I've not yet needed to tackle and isn't disastrous if they run 40 - 50,000 km, overall I remain impressed even if I am easily impressed.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 06:49:53 pm »
:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing5:  :jokercolor:

Bwhahahahahahahaha!

I can see a X-Challenge vs DR race coming up soon!  :laughing4: :thumleft: :thumleft:

It will be close!  :ricky:

G650X
144kg
39kw
60Nm @5200
Power to weight 0.1647417925

DR650
147kg
32/34kw depending on what model.
54Nm @4600
Power to weight 0.1324141252

I know which one stops faster though, and it's not Japanese  :biggrin:

Just for interest sake, here is the KTM 690 specs.

138.5kg
46kw
65Nm @ 6550 rpm
Power to weight 0.2013004305

For those basing the Octavia's engine choice power wise on riding a F650 Rotax....I've ridden some a F650GS and 2x Setao's and I've ridden my XChallenge and XCountry and I will tell you that they are NOTHING like a F650. It's got 45KG's-50kg's and + 3KW on it.  And I'm guessing this build is even lighter.
The 650 Rotax is nice and torquey, smoother than most Thumpers, frugal and as have been said, propel you forward with a twist of the wrist at over the limit speeds with a slight twist of the wrist (On the XChallenge/XMoto/XCountry) and relatively reliable. <--- all sexy characteristics in my eyes ;)

Literally the only other road legal 650 Thumper that beats those figures is the KTM 690 and that technically closer to a 700 than a 650.
What more do you want from a Thumper engine?

So other than a basing it of a KTM 690 - what thumper engine that's more exciting would you have chosen to base a street bike on?

I think Hyde Designed deserves more credit for this. Hell It's really something unique and the guy is proud of it. What I wont give to be so creative and tallented when it comes to bikes. I hardly know how to torque a bolt.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:14:52 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 09:11:44 pm »
Yes yes, state all the facts you want.
But when you go to bed at night, you will still have a custom bike with a 650 Rotax engine in it.

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2016, 10:34:24 pm »
Wasn't there another custom bike on a recent thread with a TW200 Yamaha engine in it?

Good engine, don't get me wrong, and someone's proud of it.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 10:52:47 pm »
Yes yes, state all the facts you want.
But when you go to bed at night, you will still have a custom bike with a 650 Rotax engine in it.

That he designed...and built....and completed.
Bet he sleeps just fine.

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 07:58:11 am »
I'm with Ricky Gervais...

Kudos to Jens for building it.

"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son

Offline Kooyak

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 05:42:55 pm »
Hi. I am Katzenblummenschutzenpflagenplafterbom. Anyone who refers to Hitler in any way whatsoever has no idea of what happened in is utterly insensitive. And he clearly has even less of an idea about good design.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 06:11:55 pm »
Hi. I am Katzenblummenschutzenpflagenplafterbom. Anyone who refers to Hitler in any way whatsoever has no idea of what happened in is utterly insensitive. And he clearly has even less of an idea about good design.

Spectacular sense of humour fail.

www.cfoconsult.co.za