Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2016 GXCC  (Read 13245 times)

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: 2016 GXCC
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2016, 12:30:25 pm »
ktmkobus, you should enter the WOW class this year as it's cheaper and full, plenty guys to race with. All levels of experience.

You will probably need a club license next year for the Baja, so won't be riding WOW then.

I race in the masters club class but have to put up with the regional and national riders at GXCC, so my results are always kak.  :imaposer: :imaposer: Our top national riders are intimidatingly fast, in all classes.

Personally, I wouldn't race GXCC with a full Rallye setup, you ARE going to damage the bike. At the least, remove the fairing and equipment on the front. Fuel tanks, handlebar switches, etc can stay.

And slow and cautious ain't gonna happen - you can't practice racing by doing that.

Take your full Rallye bike on the Family Adventures rides. Identical terrain to the GXCC's, same distances but you ride at your own pace. Not as well marked, maybe, so you gotta think about navigation and dangers. Good training for racing snakes and kids alike.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Minxy

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2016, 02:08:36 pm »
Thanks Dwerg, Bud500,

Damaging the equipment is obviously a major concern, but I don't know how to otherwise get used to the set up.  My pace will be slow and cautious.

Heck, you could do gxcc easily on the rally bike, like Bud said, you could do it on a 990 if you wanted to, but wrecking your tanks/fairing/nav equipment won't be any fun, especially with baja just around the corner and this can very realistically happen, even if you take it easy.
Best would be to ride it on another bike, even if it's an old/cheap bike, just for the exposure/experience. You can still apply the skills you learn from racing gxcc, to racing in the baja rally, no matter what the bike.
You can always rather take your rally bike to a place like rhinopark and train on the mx track, or just go on their out rides, at least it's a slightly more controlled environment and you can get a feel for your bike. I found training at rhinopark great for amageza as they have loads more sand then most places nearby :)
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2016, 02:27:29 pm »
Thanks Dwerg, Bud500,

Damaging the equipment is obviously a major concern, but I don't know how to otherwise get used to the set up.  My pace will be slow and cautious.

Heck, you could do gxcc easily on the rally bike, like Bud said, you could do it on a 990 if you wanted to, but wrecking your tanks/fairing/nav equipment won't be any fun, especially with baja just around the corner and this can very realistically happen, even if you take it easy.
Best would be to ride it on another bike, even if it's an old/cheap bike, just for the exposure/experience. You can still apply the skills you learn from racing gxcc, to racing in the baja rally, no matter what the bike.
You can always rather take your rally bike to a place like rhinopark and train on the mx track, or just go on their out rides, at least it's a slightly more controlled environment and you can get a feel for your bike. I found training at rhinopark great for amageza as they have loads more sand then most places nearby :)

O boy, I see a divorce looming if I now get another bike to do GXCC.  There is already another one coming ex Cape Town that she's not aware of.   :argue: :cussing: :amazon:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:31:22 pm by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Minxy

« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:22 pm »
Thanks Dwerg, Bud500,

Damaging the equipment is obviously a major concern, but I don't know how to otherwise get used to the set up.  My pace will be slow and cautious.

O boy, I see a divorce looming if I now get another bike to do GXCC.  There is already another one coming ex Cape Town that she's not aware of.   :argue: :cussing: :amazon:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Just hide it in the back and tell her it's the same bike just without the rally kit. She'll never know, besides you can never have enough bikes :peepwall:
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2016, 02:48:37 pm »
Some nice pics coming through from the GXCC, McLarens and Zanda Pix facebook pages

Post yours if you spot them
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2016, 10:59:05 pm »
fokkit, boys, what's going on??? Seems I'm reviving a thread older than Methuselah.

Is there nobody else doing off-road racing in GP?? Woulda thought you Rally boys would be out doing some proper training.

Anyways, it's the last of the season - some more of that boring shit that they keep putting on TV.

Probably my last as well. next year they expect us oldies to go for ECGs before getting licenses ........ f--kin pen pushers  :-\

But, I'll be there on Saturday - trying my hardest to break yet another bone  :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2016, 07:15:55 am »
Our team is out for this round. I've got a cracked rib and had some issues with my bike, Bud500 is off to Australia this weekend (including Philip island the bastard) and Batch is adjusting to not being a bachelor anymore.

Pretty bummed because I missed the previous Lekoa round as well
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2016, 08:25:26 am »
Sterkte Dwerg . . . .