Motorcycle to be clamped next time...what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LYCAN

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Went to my local shopping centre to support one of the shops there today. Parked the bike neatly in a parking spot that was open, and then went into the shop.

After a short while I got back to my bike, pulled my helmet on and got on the bike. Car guard stopped me and delivered a verbal message from a security guard who stood a short distance off under a tree

The message was a warning that if I parked my bike in a car parking spot again, they will clamp my bike and I would need to pay a release fee.

Well...naturaly I switched off my bike and confronted the security guard about this nonsense.

He then informed me that his boss has said that motorcycles are only allowed to park in the motorcycle parking spot (note that i did not use "spots"). If there is a bike standing a 'car' parking spot, it needs to be clamped.

Now, i don't have a problem using motorcycle parkings. As these are usualy well placed and safe for bikes. As is the the case with disabled parking spots. But I have always been of the impression that you can use these if you decided to do so.

At this centre however, the motorcycle parking spot is actualy a repurposed shopping trolley gathering area. A triangular area with one corner open and bordered with cement ridges and a drain in the other corner. Atleast it is under a tree for shade. You can easily be parked in, or if one bike falls all the other will most likely follow suit. Imagine Ten pin bowling pins

Apparently this security manager has decided the bikes are not allowed to be parked anywhere else, and thus will be clamped if they do.

This made me wonder if they are going to clamp a disabled person's car if they were to stop on a normal parking bay

My question how ever is...has anyone been clamped for parking in normal parking bays?

I invited the security guard to write down my bike's number plate, and that i hope they do clamp my bike the next time... :ricky:

These are not metered parking bays, thus there is no difference in charges. Parking is paid for through supporting the shops