Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Offroad & Adventure SA discontinued  (Read 6981 times)

Offline Regis Laconi

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Enjoy The Freedom
Re: Offroad & Adventure SA discontinued
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 08:28:51 am »
Bike SA is the worst "Motorcycle Magazine" in South Africa.  I'll rather buy a Huisgenoot or Sarie before I buy that there crap.
Enjoy The Freedom...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:38 am »
I remember as a laaitie (14 - 15 year-old) in the early 80's buying and reading the bark-essay and perving over the latest models, fantasising about riding them.

And PISSING myself laughing at the exploits of the very sexy "Tina Tailpipe"  :peepwall:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 08:41:38 am »
The WD forum is my magazine  :ricky:

Copy that. :deal:

Those few copies of Bike SA that I have bought always turned out to be poor value imo.
Sure, there are some interesting articles and stuff from regular contributors, but even though I fully understand the importance of the advertising content, there is so much other 'bumph' that as far as I can see is just there to pad the pages, that the proportion of genuinely interesting stuff is thin indeed.
In fact, even if I buy the mag, it takes me less than an hour to read it cover to cover, and then it becomes useless clutter until I eventually toss it out.
Just like many others I'm sure, I just browse it on the shelf and get all I need from it in the space of 5 minutes or so.

I do appreciate that Simon Fourie and his team are genuinely trying to produce something worthwhile, and I'm glad that there are a great many who find it so.

But not me. Sorry, Simon.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline corne.l

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 09:46:38 am »

Ek kan nie verstaan hoekom BikeSA soveel volgelinge het nie.

Jy maak seker net 'n grappie.

Weet jy hoeveel baaikers is in die tappit traai-angle? En in die vuil-driehoek?

Ek weet, dis my valley daai!

Nou praat jy ... hier is 'n Bike club om elke hoek en draai!
in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010) - SOLD
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 09:51:53 am »
Ja, Bark essay :imaposer:

Also very funny years ago when they had the piece in front on phoning hours, and looking on the calendar and on your watch and so on...... :imaposer:

An dont phone on that day ... and the lady will answer Bark Essay  :imaposer: :imaposer:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Serfie

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 11:50:34 am »

Those few copies of Bike SA that I have bought always turned out to be poor value imo.
Sure, there are some interesting articles and stuff from regular contributors, but even though I fully understand the importance of the advertising content, there is so much other 'bumph' that as far as I can see is just there to pad the pages, that the proportion of genuinely interesting stuff is thin indeed.
In fact, even if I buy the mag, it takes me less than an hour to read it cover to cover, and then it becomes useless clutter until I eventually toss it out.
Just like many others I'm sure, I just browse it on the shelf and get all I need from it in the space of 5 minutes or so.

I do appreciate that Simon Fourie and his team are genuinely trying to produce something worthwhile, and I'm glad that there are a great many who find it so.

:thumleft:  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

For sure... Bike SA could do with a graphic designer...one almost feels 'lost'  ??? trying to read the magazine. And drop the endless boring pages of photos of participants at Rally's. The layout of the pages and content urgently need the touch of someone with skills...look at the layout/page design in the WEG magazine and learn!
“So much of life can never be explained…it can only be witnessed and experienced…but above all...life just goes on…no matter what!!”

Previous bikes - 1980 XL125S: 1986 IT200: 1989 XT250:  1999 Africa Twin 750XLV: 2011 XR250 Tornado: 1999 XJR900 Diversion:  1996 Varadero XL1000V: 2007 Transalp 650 : 2015 Kawasaki Versys KLZ 1000
Currently - 2008 KLR650 / 2008 DR650 / 2015 SYM CROX 125 /  2014 BMW F700GS

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 12:52:08 pm »

For sure... Bike SA could do with a graphic designer...one almost feels 'lost'  ??? trying to read the magazine. And drop the endless boring pages of photos of participants at Rally's. The layout of the pages and content urgently need the touch of someone with skills...look at the layout/page design in the WEG magazine and learn!

Incidentally, Bike SA has been concentrating more on the social aspects of motorcycling, like participants at rallies. In the third quarter results of ABC (Audited Bureau of Circulation, the body that governs all publications' circulation figures), Superbike and Offroad & Adventure SA stayed pretty much the same, which is good considering that, generally, circulation of magazines is dropping.

Bike SA's circulation grew by 15%.

So, should we abandon what is clearly showing good results?

I'm not entirely sure how the layout makes you feel lost. It really isn't that hard to follow. Little kids reading comic books follow far more intricate layouts. People (much more than the motorcycle mags with "proper" layout) have been happily reading it for 41 years. I'm sure you can too.

Oh dear. Have I just been sucked into a pointless forum argument? Damn!

Haven't we been here before, where keyboard warriors slag off Bike SA, and I have to give long factual explanations that completely negate their ignorant (and usually thoughtless) point of view?

Why yes, we have.

If you want answers to any of these complaints, please search "Bike SA" on this forum and they are all there. And when you say anything, please keep in mind that we have heard it all before over our 41 year lifespan, and there is a very logical, well thought out reason we haven't listened.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 01:07:10 pm »

So did Kurt Darren CD sales.

But that does not make him a talented artist.

Never confuse quantity with quality.

There is a place in the sun for everything. I'm not dissing your magazine, just stating my experience.
 :thumleft:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 01:20:06 pm »

So did Kurt Darren CD sales.

But that does not make him a talented artist.

Never confuse quantity with quality.

There is a place in the sun for everything. I'm not dissing your magazine, just stating my experience.
 :thumleft:

Stop being lazy. Search the forum and see that all this had been said before, and answered, with LSM statistics and demographics and again negate your argument completely.

Offline igno

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 01:35:27 pm »

Incidentally, Bike SA has been concentrating more on the social aspects of motorcycling, like participants at rallies. In the third quarter results of ABC (Audited Bureau of Circulation, the body that governs all publications' circulation figures), Superbike and Offroad & Adventure SA stayed pretty much the same, which is good considering that, generally, circulation of magazines is dropping.

I'm not entirely sure how the layout makes you feel lost. It really isn't that hard to follow. Little kids reading comic books follow far more intricate layouts. People (much more than the motorcycle mags with "proper" layout) have been happily reading it for 41 years. I'm sure you can too.

Haven't we been here before, where keyboard warriors slag off Bike SA, and I have to give long factual explanations that completely negate their ignorant (and usually thoughtless) point of view?

Why yes, we have.

If you want answers to any of these complaints, please search "Bike SA" on this forum and they are all there. And when you say anything, please keep in mind that we have heard it all before over our 41 year lifespan, and there is a very logical, well thought out reason we haven't listened.

What an arrogant and crappy answer.   

Maybe the fact that you haven't listened is exactly the reason why I will not buy one again.
ek dra vandag my screen saver

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 01:41:42 pm »
hey  2 stroke

i am gonna add my 2c about bark esayy 

i have noticed that on occasion , your articles do not have an ending , i find myself turning the next few pages hoping to find one

and sometimes the captions for the pictures seem mixed up

and , i would rather have the cover denoting a relevant article inside that particular issue  :thumleft: :thumleft:
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 01:45:09 pm »
Subscribe...

No, not to the magazine.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 01:50:58 pm »

Why yes, we have.

What an arrogant and crappy answer.   

Maybe the fact that you haven't listened is exactly the reason why I will not buy one again.

Maybe not you, but thousands and thousands of other readers will. Keep that in mind.

Also note the double standards here – anonymous people slag off the business that we work very hard at, that we put our hearts and souls into, and we are expected to be polite? How would they feel if we said the same about their work?

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 03:01:42 pm »
Can you print the letters a little larger?  My only complaint, but I'm sort-of easy...

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »
Can you print the letters a little larger?  My only complaint, but I'm sort-of easy...

No problem. Do you really have a Cagiva Elefant?  :drif:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 03:17:44 pm »
2-stroke I do not buy BikeSA but did the Offroad and also advertized in it. Sad it's no more.

On a sidenote I do watch the TV program and I know you can do better sir.
The last one I know ALL of the Tigers but just about nothing about the Truimph Tiger you tested :deal:
Yes I know you wanted to save the tiger sanctuary. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 03:46:38 pm »
2-stroke I do not buy BikeSA but did the Offroad and also advertized in it. Sad it's no more.

On a sidenote I do watch the TV program and I know you can do better sir.
The last one I know ALL of the Tigers but just about nothing about the Truimph Tiger you tested :deal:
Yes I know you wanted to save the tiger sanctuary. :thumleft:

But we've done the Triumph Tiger to death already. Harry did a long piece on it at the beginning of the year, and it was featured again in BOTY.

Tigers (the stripy, furry ones) we've done nothing on. And they will rip your throat out. Or give you a kiss.

And it wasn't really a test, but you do now know that a Tiger is better than a tiger. This is valuable consumer journalism at its best!  O0

Offline Dirty Des

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 03:49:45 pm »
Me, I buy Bike SA every month as well as Adventure & Outdoor, (don't bother with subscribing cause the Post Office is a stuff up)

So hopefully Baark SA will have a few more pages for the gravel travellers...

Who gives a damn if the article kind of runs out of space and just disappears, and if the picture on the front doesn't have a story inside, by not conforming, mis-spelling and printing the wrong captions under photos has kept the magazine going for 41 years, appeals to all sorts of  characters in the biking world and keeps most people happy most of the time, that in itself take some doing.

Besides, you cant read a computer in the bath and that's where I read Bike SA.

The back page of events is always my first point of reference.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 05:16:29 pm »

No problem. Do you really have a Cagiva Elefant?  :drif:

Only the tank and plastics (sentimental).  Engine was stolen when it went in for a crank bearing.  C'est la vie.  But it gave me a taste for rallye bikes that pretty much ruined me.

Offline Phacochoerus

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 05:38:30 pm »
Some times it feels reading a cheap comic. Leans towards a social side of Bikers, Not a magazine for Motorcyclists. I will buy for Mike Scott's contribution and get my money's worth from Cycle World
But remember, please, the Law by which we live,
We are not built to comprehend a lie,
We can neither love nor pity nor forgive..
If you make a slip in handling us you die!
Rudyard Kipling - The secret of machines