Best bike for the job and Winter in Cape Town

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to the bikers community.  Started using a bike for my daily commute about 4 months ago.  I'm contemplating upgrading but my needs are simple and all the options are truly confusing.

I'm looking for a reliable commuter that is economical and that won't brake the bank.  I know that a BMW 650/800/1200 or a Honda NC750 or a Yamaha 660 or so many other could easily suffice but then my question is that all those bikes more often than not comes with a price tag.  What other options are good, reliable, tested options?

Some details that might be needed:  Rider weight - 100kg plus another 10kg of luggage.  Daily commute of 25km one way therefore 50km in total / day.  Stay in Cape Town so be mindful of the wind, rain, etc.

Then considering winter in Cape Town any advice / help with tips on making the commute safe and pleasurable will be appreciated.  Is it even something that must be considered?