Trying out my new 1150GSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerc

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
As from yesterday I am the proud owner of an 1150GSA so the first thing to do was get used to the larger bike after spending a year and a half with a 650GS. Noble Steed and I decided to to have a ride to Dullstroom today to test it out. We took some of the back roads round to Loskop dam, once we hit the N11 we rode tar round Groblersdal to the R579 and found a nice back road into Dullstroom. There are some seriously nice gravel roads in the area. One of the roads we were on was a single lane which just meandered all the way up and down the hills and the one going into Dullstroom was quite rocky and rutted but a lot of fun. Unfortunately, after Dullstroom we ran out of time and had to return via tar avoiding the tollgates and that was mind numbing.

The bike handles beautifully and is more confidence inspiring at speed than my 650. With the 650 I'm not really comfortable going faster than 90km/h on dirt but with the 1150 I thought I was doing about 60 only to look down at the speedo to find out that I was going over 100, I now understand how the guys with the bigger bikes manage to travel so fast on dirt. I can see many outings for me on my new bike.

My very first taste of gravel with the new bike

The single lane road with Noble Steed approachinf

The rocky and fun road, it looked a lot worse than this in places

A view over the hills