ONE SINGLE TO AVONTUUR AND THE TOP 5 PASSES

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUZZY

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT225
As a kid I loved reading Gerald Durrell books. One of his books was titled " Three Singles to Adventure"
Well my adventure was on a single cylinder thumper, my trusty XR 650 L and on route I would pass through Avontuur, a now derelict railway station that used to be the end of the narrow gauge line from Port Elizabeth.
I am still a train enthusiast as can be seen by the sticker kit on my bike!
After I had already planned my 4800km long trip, I read an article about the top 5 gravel road passes in South Africa. According to the article these are: Naudes Nek , Baster Voetslaan Pad, Prince Alfred Pass, Swartberg Pass and Bezuidenhouts Pass. I looked at my route and thought mmmm, all 5 are on my route!
So on Monday 14th December I left Durban headed for Rhodes.
My plan was simple, where the day ends I'll find accommodation. If I like the the place, I'll stay an extra day.

Attachments

• Eish. Day 1 0f trip in rain and mud..jpg
    Eish. Day 1 0f trip in rain and mud..jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 936
  • Naudes neck in the mud.jpg
    Naudes neck in the mud.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 917
  • Rhodes.jpg
    Rhodes.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 969
  • Baster Voetslaan pass.jpg
    Baster Voetslaan pass.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 942
  • Also known as Dr LAPA Munnik pass.jpg
    Also known as Dr LAPA Munnik pass.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 911
  • Stunning scenery.jpg
    Stunning scenery.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 915
  • Near the top of Baster Voetslaan. Slipped and skidded down in clay and mud with zero style but...jpg
    Near the top of Baster Voetslaan. Slipped and skidded down in clay and mud with zero style but...jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 916
  • 4800km.jpg
    4800km.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 934