Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: STOLEN: Africa Twin in Cape Town, reward offered.  (Read 3321 times)

Offline WheelieDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
STOLEN: Africa Twin in Cape Town, reward offered.
« on: January 21, 2016, 12:56:20 pm »
Hey Guys

Just a request for the Dogs to keep an eye out for this Africa Twin that was stolen in Gardens, Cape Town, on Sunday afternoon. There are not that many around so hopefully someone might just spot it somewhere.....

Belongs to a very sad friend of mine.

CA 216953. I have the vin and engine no as well if needed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:46:36 am by WheelieDog »
For the love of it.

Offline Ortos

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Ride to Ride another day"
Re: STOLEN: Africa Twin in Cape Town
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:47:46 pm »
Eish - k@k style - hoop hy kry hom terug
- Some people are like clouds, once they fuck-off it turns into a
  beautiful day!

Offline WheelieDog

• Race Dog
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:16:52 pm »
The poor guy is heartbroken, he's ridden that bike all over.

High mileage and looks used, but in a good way. I cannot imagine that it is worth much so why would some cnuts steal it?!!!!

Spares maybe, or just a joyride hopefully. It may just be parked somewhere, out of juice, because that bike never stopped for any other reason....
For the love of it.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:48:08 pm »
Some c u n t s also tried to steal my brother in law's DRZ400 on sunday afternoon in gardens - he was attending the concert being held in De Waal Park

It was reported by a car guard that 2 males were seen sitting on the bike and then pushing it away with the excuse that they had lost the key and left their helmets at home.

Anyway we found the bike parked down a side street with the ignition wires cut in an attempt to hotwire it but the thieves must have touched the positive lead to the frame and blew the main fuse - so the bike would not start.

I hope your mate finds his AT - this is probably the best place to tell people about it because now you have thousands of eyes on the road

I think you should post the frame and engine number here too because I'm sure the thief will have changed the number plate by now.
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Sam

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 11:21:26 am »
Weird timing! I cable locked mine at the beach on Sunday for the first time in 8 years. Don't know why - I just had a kak feeling.

As an aside - it amazes me that it seems that the vast majority of bikes that I see parked don't even have their steering locked. I know that it isn't all that difficult to break a steering lock, but why make it easier to steal by not locking? Strange.

City Bowl / Western seaboard seem to go through "phases" with bikes being stolen. Usually at about this time of the year. About 20 years ago, bikes were disappearing from the beach at Clifton and Camps Bay in numbers - they bust the guys later - they used to rock up with a closed truck, and simply lifted the bikes into the truck and drove off. Quick quick....

Sorry to hear about your mates bike - I've seen that one around town before.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:23:20 pm »
I cant say for certain but I saw a pretty much identical one in the Northern burbs on Monday.. what made me look twice besides that it was a twin was the fact that the guy riding it was really small with a t shirt and shorts..

Ill def keep a lookout now that I know the reg and some details on the bike.

Sadly its probably in Moz by now.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:02 pm »
On my way home down to Main Rd from UCT yesterday afternoon I waved to a guy on an AT just like this one and received no reply. No way of knowing if it was your mate's bike, but the rider was rude enough.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:40 pm »
Jis this is really crap man. Will look out. Saw one this morning but was not the one pictured.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:38:58 pm »
Bastards.

Will keep a look-up.

I had one EXACTLY like that.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Sam

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »
On my way home down to Main Rd from UCT yesterday afternoon I waved to a guy on an AT just like this one and received no reply. No way of knowing if it was your mate's bike, but the rider was rude enough.

What time was that? if it was around 18h00ish......that would have been me. Top fairing colours are similar to the stolen one, but the rest of the bike is white, as opposed to red.

If it was me, I wasn't trying to be rude, but rather focussed on surviving Main Road and Woolsack.....gotta keep your wits about you there.....

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 01:08:39 pm »

What time was that? if it was around 18h00ish......that would have been me. Top fairing colours are similar to the stolen one, but the rest of the bike is white, as opposed to red.

If it was me, I wasn't trying to be rude, but rather focussed on surviving Main Road and Woolsack.....gotta keep your wits about you there.....

Think nothing of it! I'm glad and sorry that it wasn't the thief.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:34:37 pm »
Are there any other identifying things that would jump out at someone wanting to ID the bike.

I'd love to stop a guy riding a stolen AT.... or at least give his position on this thread
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline WheelieDog

• Race Dog
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 06:06:12 pm »
Geez Sam, I am glad Crossed up didn't just run you over :ricky:

Great to know there are some eyes out there, it has to be out there somewhere. I just don't think it's the kind of bike that worth the effort of shipping to Moz.

As a quick reference for spotting from a distance I know that the baseplate and crash bars have been removed. Close up most of the bolts have been replaced with stainless Allen caps.

Speedo currently shows around 47 000 Kay's, the first 100 000 is not displayed.

Thanks guys :thumleft:
For the love of it.

Offline WheelieDog

• Race Dog
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:35 am »
Still no news on this bike.

It's almost weekend again, and weekends are for riding, so please keep looking......

My mate says he's willing to pay a reward.

He reckons R2000 for finding his bike, but R5000 if he gets it back with the cnut who stole it. Condition of the cnut not important :biggrin:

If you have any news please call Tommy directly on owsevennine 183 938five.

For the love of it.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:58:14 am »
 Condition of the cnut not important

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

suppose he needs some evidence it was the knot, just a little? ;) >:D
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 11:15:26 am »
I cant say for certain but I saw a pretty much identical one in the Northern burbs on Monday.. what made me look twice besides that it was a twin was the fact that the guy riding it was really small with a t shirt and shorts..

Ill def keep a lookout now that I know the reg and some details on the bike.

Sadly its probably in Moz by now.

There is one like that in Maputo but we know it. Will for sure keep an eye out should there be another all of a sudden.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline WheelieDog

• Race Dog
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
Condition of the cnut not important

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

suppose he needs some evidence it was the knot, just a little? ;) >:D

Any body part should suffice as evidence ;)

He is actually a gentle giant and he's so keen to get the bike back I am sure he'll gladly hand over the R5000 just for that.

But I think that should the cnut, or a part thereof, come with the package it would be a bonus. Not just for him but also for the owner/s of the next bike that the cnut intends stealing.

Once a thief....

Good to see there are eyes in Mozambique too :thumleft:
For the love of it.

Offline FrancoisTz

Re: STOLEN: Africa Twin in Cape Town, reward offered.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 11:51:45 am »
It might be that bikes are shipped to other locations than Maputo. Really not than many bikes in Maputo, and I have not seen big bikes in the other locations we have visited, viz. Bilene, Xai-Xai, etc. My 800 got stolen in SA and the "underworld" here told us the newer bikes are shipped to Angola instead of Moz. Not sure if the older bikes find their way to the north of Moz.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline WheelieDog

• Race Dog
  • DL650 VStrom
Re: STOLEN: Africa Twin in Cape Town, reward offered.
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 12:06:29 pm »
Personally I don't think this bike was stolen for export, there is just not enough value in it to justify the effort. But who knows, you do get a lot of Rands for a Dollar nowadays ::)

Although the bike was completely redone a few years back it is far from pristine, with a lot of typical coastal rust and weathering.

I still think it's in Cape Town somewhere.
For the love of it.