A year in the life of an Alaskan rider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnomad

Pack Dog
Reaction score
I'm going to start this thread with some photos from December of 2004-some golden oldies in there, enjoy!

There are really 3 seasons in Alaska, last winter, this winter and next winter. Serious winter starts around November, drags into December with the 5 hours of daylight :? and cold temps, limps into January and February, our coldest months where it can and has gotten down to -40C, makes a climb into March and April, and finally mid-May we get WX warm enough to even bring out the RUBs. I march to the beat of a different thumper, using a set of Kenda Trackmasters studded with carbice tipped automotive studs, I have streched a 7 or 8 month riding season into 29 months...and gotten in some cool rides in the process.

This one is Big Lake, Alaska, mid December. The studded pegaso got it's first real test of the usefulness of the studded tires on this trip and I found them even better than I had hoped. Notice that the ice has claimed a victim...a person should check the thickness before venturing out.

trucktrail.jpg

Yes, he is very stuck. Getting a vehicle out of the ice involves a lot of work with chain saws, winches and heavy equipment.

sunktruck.jpg

Along the banks of the Knik River, the farthest north point of the Pacific Ocean.

knik2.jpg

Hatcher Pass lodge. Hatcher Pass is a road through the mountains, a shortcut between Palmer and Willow. It's a winter wonderland and one marvelous dual sport playground, lots of gravel, dirt, and some fun trails off to the side of the road. Here's what it looks like in December.

hatcherlodge.jpg

Here I am at the Independence Mine parking lot, and yes, that is an electrical cord running from the bike to under my jacket :D .

me.jpg

Looking north towards Sutton, the Matanuska River.

matriver1.jpg

Reflections of my favorite bike...

reflection.jpg