Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I don't understand  (Read 16993 times)

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Re: I don't understand
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 09:28:32 pm »
Got told that bikes in excess of R150 000 require a tracker or I must just ensure the bike for R149999 ? Its all greek to me how to fiddle a low payment for good security benefits , is R 661 ball park for comprehensive ?

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 09:29:50 pm »
Got told that bikes in excess of R150 000 require a tracker or I must just ensure the bike for R149999 ? Its all greek to me how to fiddle a low payment for good security benefits , is R 661 ball park for comprehensive ?

Depends on your risk profile but for R150K R661 and a tracker sounds high.

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 09:34:57 pm »

did you read my previous post?

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 09:39:21 pm »
yeah I did bundu - thanks , was just trying to take the tracker out of the loop and enquire about the insurance amount - the excess is 10% with a min of R2500 if I look at the quote - I am very low risk - never had anything stolen , never claimed on my car insurance , live on a farm with fences , dogs and have a garage for my bikes - 44 years old , bike licence etc
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:40:47 pm by shanti »

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:47 pm »
yeah I did bundu - thanks , was just trying to take the tracker out of the loop and enquire about the insurance amount - the excess is 10% with a min of R2500 if I look at the quote - I am very low risk - never had anything stolen , never claimed on my car insurance , live on a farm with fences , dogs and have a garage for my bikes - 44 years old , bike licence etc
I pay R79 for Netstar and R510 for insurance with a R15k excess for a R220k insured bike
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:50:12 pm by Bundu »

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 09:53:32 pm »
Now that is the info I need to start my negotiations on my first foray into bike insurance - thank you , are you also insured out of the country ( southern africa ) ? -- may I ask who are you insured through ?

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 10:01:13 pm »
Now that is the info I need to start my negotiations on my first foray into bike insurance - thank you , are you also insured out of the country ( southern africa ) ? -- may I ask who are you insured through ?

and then I also get 20% of my payments back at the end of the year if I don't claim

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 10:06:25 pm »
these insurance companies can smell the fresh blood coming , I need to do more homework on a good policy that doesnt rip me off too much and I guess at the end of the day its about who actually pays out .

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 10:13:24 pm »
Who remember the days when you could insure a vehicle for 3rd party, fire and theft at a fraction of comprehensive insurance.
How SA has changed.
I think insurance companies will now probably laugh at you if you ask them that.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 10:23:43 pm »
Who remember the days when you could insure a vehicle for 3rd party, fire and theft at a fraction of comprehensive insurance.

SM I have that on my old 3 ton truck.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 10:24:46 pm »
3rd party is all I take for all my vehicles, which costs peanuts.
I only ride bikes that I can afford to replace in case I'll write them off.
What I break I fix myself. Sounds fair to me.

The only other thing I've always had is a hospital plan, just in case my bike falls on top of me.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re:
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 10:35:10 pm »
What I think is really a necessity would be third party, fire and theft.

Fully comprehensive for my 1190 was 1.6k a month. Wont do fully comprehensive on my next bike unless I buy new again.   

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

What? R1600. I say again, WHAT??

My SMT I also bought Cash. My Insurance on it is R200 a month. I will be a poephol trying save R200 a month.
On my 1190 I pay R300 a month now. Again, I will be a poephol to cancel and try saving R300 a month.

Both Full comprehensive Insurance.

How long must I save R500 a month to replace two bikes? Nee fok ouens, ry julle maar sonder Assuransie. maar ek gaan nie  :biggrin:

R300 klink baie laag op 'n R180K bike.  By wie is jy verseker?

By die regte mense  :biggrin:

Offline RobD

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2016, 10:36:08 pm »
this will get a lot of you going , I stopped paying insurance and I now tithe my insurance money instead , I trust the Lord with my soul and salvation so why not with mere earthly goods .

What you basically saying is that paying a tithing (or bigger tithing) will prevent you from accidents or loss.  I guess you can have the same argument about medical aid.

I have the following issues with this:

- Being a faithful Christian and follow His commandments does not guarantee that nothing is going to happen to you or your   possessions (look at Job in the Bible).

- The Bible is all about owning up to your mistakes.  Should you crash into somebody else's car and is unable to make good to that person, you are severely compromising your testimony.

- As a Christian, you are also required to take care of your wife and family.  If all your savings are wiped out due to an unforeseen accident, where does this leave you?

- If you are still paying off a bond or instalment on your vehicle, you are contractually required to have insurance.  By not having insurance, you are in essence breaking the law (which is also against the Bible).

A tithing was never meant to be a "heavenly insurance".  It is rather a practical illustration of your faith, which has nothing to do with insurance.  

Saved me from posting..... Well said!!!

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 11:00:44 pm »

Motorcycle cover information
Make KTM Night parking Lock Up Garage
Model 1190 ADVENTURE R
Year 2013 Tracking device No
Capacity of motor 1,195
Basis of cover Retail
Type of cover Comprehensive
Use Strictly Private
Sasria indicator Yes
Sum insured R 140,600
Total premium for Risk 1
R 315.62
Basic Excess: 10% of claim, minimum R 2 500

Make KTM Night Parking Lock up Garage
Model Supermoto 990 SMT
Year 2011 Tracking Devices No
Basis of cover Retail
Type of cover Comprehensive
Use Strictly Private
Sasria indicator Yes
Sum insured R 95,000
Total premium for Risk 2
R 212.05
Basic Excess: 10% of claim, minimum R 2 500

Offline RobD

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2016, 11:05:37 pm »
How SA has changed.
I think insurance companies will now probably laugh at you if you ask them that.

Nah.... We still do it but remember, if your bike is financed you are in breach of contract if you insure this way......

Offline RobD

Re: I do nt understand
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2016, 11:07:56 pm »
By not paying insurance you save big bucks. The insurace i have saved over the last 10 years paid my latest bike in cash

What would have happened if you were unfortunate enough to have an accident after 3 months of saving?

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
Re: I do nt understand
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2016, 11:12:32 pm »
By not paying insurance you save big bucks. The insurace i have saved over the last 10 years paid my latest bike in cash

What would have happened if you were unfortunate enough to have an accident after 3 months of saving?

Or on day 3 with  only 238km on the ODO. Fubar, Kapouw, eina my ente  :o

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2016, 11:13:57 pm »
I just take one Lapdance less at the end of the month, and that covers my bike premiums  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Offline RobD

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2016, 11:15:17 pm »
How can people ride (adventure) bikes without insurance ? Any bike really , but adventure bikes even more so. Statistically you are just so much more prone to fall and damage your bike on a dirt road.

Surely if you can not afford the insurance then you can not afford the bike/lifestyle ?

I have bought two bikes in my life and both times the bike was insured even before I was on the bus to go and fetch it from it's owner. I will not put the key in the ignition of a bike / vehicle that does not have insurance.

The same goes for cars while I am at it. I see the TV add every morning where people are shown saying they can not afford the insurance. Then surely you buy a cheaper car with a smaller repayment so your budget allows for insurance as well ?

Not much to understand Hanno, you are quite correct in my opinion!!

In a similar fashion I see clients weekly that buy a bike for R150K and then proceed to buy the cheapest helmet in the store.....  Does not make any sense at all...

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2016, 06:06:48 am »
How SA has changed.

You can still insure for third party, fire and theft only.  You are just forced to do comprehensive if the vehicle is under finance.  Nothing has changed since I bought my first vehicle in the late 70's.  

I just take one Lapdance less at the end of the month, and that covers my bike premiums  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

That's confusing!  I thought you would have to do one lapdance more!   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:10:01 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!