Mirrors... and smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Never thought I would start this thread, but in 3 months I almost lane changed into vehicles twice on the highway. Cages are typically in blind spots and you don't see them, and it is often awkward to turn the head and helmet at speed.

I took a close look at the mirror setup on my F800GS, with two findings:
1. mirrors too close to the rider restricts rearward view.
2. I can do with some help.

I started off by adjusting the mirrors as far forward (towards the front wheel) as I could. Now I don't see as much of my arms reflected in the mirrors, and it helps seeing wider.

Still not enough, I bought small blind spot mirrors and fixed one to my rhs mirror, in the area where my arm is reflected. Being adjustable, you can now see what is in your blind spot. It needed some grinding in order to let it protrude past the mirror plastic edge (otherwise you will not have much mirror left) toward the stem side of the mirror, and thicker double sided tape.

I am still testing, but think this is an important safety improvement. I can certainly see better what is happening in my blind spot.

Attachments

• Mirrors forward.JPG
    Mirrors forward.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_6379.JPG
    IMG_6379.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_6374.JPG
    IMG_6374.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_6362.JPG
    IMG_6362.JPG