XR650L forks topping out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
According to the manual, the standard setting for the front shocks on a XR650L, is completely deflated, or 0 psi. They can, however, be inflated up to a maximum of 6 psi, depending on terrain conditions and load.
In an attempt to eliminate the head shake, which developed on my XRL after fitting a larger rear tyre, I inflated the front shocks to 2 psi. This actually took care of the head shake, as it lifted the front end and improved the rake angle - I think. The bike definitely handled better through turns and felt more solid, after I inflated the shocks.

But, now my front shocks top out. Every time I ride over any moderate bump, which elevates the front end, the shocks hit the stops at the top. I don't have much or any experience in motorcycle suspension, but I know from my mountain biking days that this isn't recommended.
The compression/rebound damping on the shocks can be changed, but before I start fiddling with these, I would like to ask some advice.

Thanks in advance.