West to East across the USA [“Portland to Maryland”]: September 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabus

Pack Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My route planning for this trip was minimal and I only booked the first- (Portland, Oregon) and last night (Baltimore, Maryland) in advance.  The rest of the trip was planned on a day-to-day basis.   There were only three places that I really wanted to see or visit:
• Mt Rainier
• Yellowstone National Park, and
• Mt Rushmore.  
The rest would be a bonus… and there were plenty of surprises along the way!
September/October was chosen for two reasons:
1. The daily temperatures would be ideal for me when it comes to full ATGATT motorcycle riding, meaning temperatures of 15 degrees Celsius or lower.  Going over the higher mountain peaks the temperature occasionally dropped to about 3 degrees Celsius (37°F) but it was never uncomfortable (thanks to heated grips of course…  :thumleft:)
pa05T9Fqj

2. “Fall” with the associated change in colours in the forests was something that I always wanted to experience.  On a bike trip of course you do not only see, you experience with all the senses: sounds, smell, changes in temperatures etc.  To quote a Dog on this forum:  “When you do a motorbike trip you are not watching the movie, you are in the movie”.  The fall colours did not disappoint, especially towards the Eastern side of the US….
hlKViXynj

I made the decision to fly with my helmet, boots, jacket and GPS just in case my luggage went in a different direction.  Since I would be travelling alone for most of the trip I also carried some basic tools, a tyre repair kit, a compressor, duct tape etc with me.  This made packing and staying within the airline’s baggage weight limitations quite a challenge.
Trip Overview and basic stats
powHh9Nuj

According to Google maps the most direct route from Portland to Maryland is 4,520km long.  
p7aeQIglj

But my thinking was almost as primitive as a student that argues that “the more beer he drinks while it is on special, the more he saves”.  Thus my (primitive?) biker mind argued: “The longer the route, the better my R/km rental metric will be…”.
The actual GPS route that I followed was plotted onto Google earth and in the end I managed to stretch the 4,530km to 7,986km….  
p31eYiKrj

As a general disclaimer to this ride report I must say that this was by no means a “tough adventure riding trip”, but rather a “scenic trip”.  I did take the occasional dirt road but 99% of the trip was on good quality tarred roads.  
pbKMIcbij

The pictures were taken with my trusted Olympus TG2 compact camera.  (This is the type of camera that Johan Bakkes refers to as a “Kiekiekakker”).  A small number of pics were taken with my iPhone but I found the Olympus to be perfect.  Most of the shots were taken from the seat of my bike and I now have a tremendous amount of respect for guys willing to travel with a proper SLR and tripod!
I saw some familiar faces along the way…
pbS9ue4qj

And met some really interesting people….
pbRfrxJ6j

Confirmed that Elvis is still alive (for those non-believers out there!!!)
pbWpByqhj

Experienced some great motorcycle passes….
pajmX50Xj

And what is a trip without taking plenty of selfies….
pliMRzo1j

Day-by-Day detail:
Days 7&8 (Missoula to West Yellowstone and on to Cody) were the two longest consecutive rides in terms of time on the road.  Day 8 was 100km shorter than Day 7 but took an hour longer resulting in almost 10hrs in the saddle.  The reasons for this I will explain later, but suffice to say that if I never, never-never- ever see a Bison again in my life it will be too soon….
p5ryy3rLj