Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MOAB  (Read 2630 times)

Offline GreenMachine

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • KLR World
MOAB
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:22:27 am »
After several months of planning and anticipation the annual CANYONLANDS MOTOR CLASSIC event in Moab was upon us, sponsored by Fred at Arrowhead Motor Sports in Moab, Utah. Fred is one of the largest KLR after market suppliers in the US and he knows a few of the Saffers that order from him on a regular basis. One hell of a nice guy that believes in treating customers with  respect and the highest level of service. Here is his website http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/parts_frames.html.

Talk about a kid in a candy store. Imagine walking around in a warehouse with just KLR parts. From the smallest to the largest thing you can think off. I walked away after investing in a ProTaper ATV SE High set of handlebars to make standing on the bike easier.

Unfortunately Eagle Mike that makes the balancer levers for the KLR had to bail out at the last minute.

Registration was free and Fred provided dinner every night with a price drawing on the Saturday. Many of us won some prizes and the grand price was a complete set of happy trails panniers, racks and top box ! . I won a small t-shirt that was a little too, well small for a boere seun like me and had to donate it  :xxbah:

I am a forum moderator over at KLR World.com and we had about 25 members join us, some from as far as Pennsylvania and New York which is a good 2,000 miles away. Some other KLR regulars also showed up and I would not be surprised if we had about 40-50 KLR's there with a few BMW's and KTM's for good measure.

A few guys rode in from all over the US on their KLR's and the farthest was about 1,500 by KLR  :ricky:

I decided to trailer my KLR up as I get some serious monkey ass from riding extended distance. My drive was about 500 miles / 8 hours one way and I did not want to deal with a fall on the trail and then having to ride home injured or suffer bike damage and then being stuck in the middle of nowhere. Luckily, the bike performed flawlessly and I rode well with no get-offs  ;D

I finally got to meet the legendary (at least here in the US) Patman from Patman Racing. This dude used to desert race and although he brought up the rear most of the time, he would seize the moments when we all stopped to turn around a few miles and then come blasting through the desert at 80 MPH. Obviously, his bike is bullet proof with the 705 upgrade and a heavy duty suspension. It was beautiful to see him in action.

Check out his monster KLR 705 with Recluse Auto Clutch and a KX 500 rear rim and tire on the front. He calls it his skid and say the tire just blasts through anything you can throw at it.

Copyright - Root @ KLRWorld.com - http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,8504.0/topicseen.html

A few videos shot by Pat
http://www.patmanracing.com/Image%20host/Video/WRT%2008.WMV
http://www.patmanracing.com/Image%20host/Video/onion%20creek%20trailer.wmv

Once he gets the other edited I will post them up. He followed each of us and filmed us in action, pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, here are some pictures and I will try and comment as I go.

In order below:
- Loaded up and ready to go
- Driving through Flagstaff, AZ. Still some snow on the mountains and just 1 hour earlier it was 36 Celsius in Phoenix  :o
- The dog I found while driving through a Indian reservation that his legs all tangled up in a rope around his neck
- The geology starts changing seriously just before I exit Arizona and drive into Utah. This is fairly close to the Grand Canyon.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:14:12 am by GreenMachine »

KLRWorld.com Forums

One must first learn to pee with the puppies before one can run with the "Dogs"

Go Bulls !

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
Re: MOAB
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:26:51 am »
The next set of pictures is from Monument Valley in Utah.

The area is entirely within the Navajo Indian Reservation on the Utah/Arizona border; the state line passes through the most famous landmarks, which are concentrated around the border near the small settlement of Goulding.

The first picture is called the "Mexican Hat" Saw a few similar formations and it is truley spectacular. As always, the pictures do not do it justice (or at least mine do not  ??? )
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:15:34 am by GreenMachine »

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 05:30:25 am »
The first two are still Monument Valley

The third picture is a formation just as you enter Moab

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:43:01 am »
Moab has many trails to explore and it is known as a haven for 4x4's, rock-crawling and bicycle riding, not to mention DS riding.

Saw literally hundreds of DS bikes. The KLRistas made up the majority but there where also groups of BMW and KTM riders. We crossed paths with a dude on a Tiger on the White Rim trail (WRT). No helmet, shorts and takkies and off he went. Not a good idea in the dessert!

The Canyon lands preserves a colourful landscape eroded into countless canyons, mesas and buttes by the Colorado River and its tributaries. The WRT follows along the canyons.

From the camp site, we slabbed it for 12 miles to the first dirt road for another 12 miles that lead us to our initial descent into the canyon. Once inside, we rode 96 miles of trails until we exited with a last 26 miles back to camp. All in all, we rode 141.9 miles (228 kilos)

The second picture below was our initial descent into the canyon. Some nice dirt switchbacks  :ricky:

The rest of the pictures were all taken on the WRT.

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:44:32 am »
Some more

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:45:41 am »
The first two pictures shows a spot we had to navigate that had powdered earth about a foot or two deep .

A few riders went down here and the one picture shows BigJohn with a puncture wound to his leg after the steel  foot peg penetrated his leg.

Sgt Marty had a first aid kit and was burning to try it out. He was however unable to convince John that he would just stitch him up right there.

The guys did a great job and cleaned up the wound. John rode the rest of the trail (about 70 miles), standing on the foot pegs without complaining once. John is retired and in his sixties ;). They just don't make them like that any more !

The guy with the black and red armor vest tending to John was an interesting guy. He served in the US army and was stationed in Pretoria for a few months.

He had lots of praise for the SA Armed forced and made this statement. "I wish we could import some of your vehicles. They kick ass". Now I must ad that he was in PTA about 10 years or so ago....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:19:04 am by GreenMachine »

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:53:29 am »
More pics

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:57:45 am »
The last few

The last picture was at Arrowhead Motor sports.

If you want to see more, the guys are posting them up over at KLRWorld.com here.

http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,8504.0/topicseen.html

Best Pictures from all the participants are here --> http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,8503.0/topicseen.html

Hope you liked them !

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 06:25:15 am »
Wow,what an awesome experience :drif: Thanks GM!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:52 am »
Here is one lesson learned for all KLR owners.

Inspect your foot peg bolts often and make sure they are tight. Locktite is your friend !

Two guys sheared off 1 bolt each, not from hitting anything, just from standing and riding rough terrain  :o

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !

Offline Gryshond

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 07:02:16 am »
Great RR thanks GM.

Adventure MX

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:46 am »
I think if you haven't been in the States then it must actually be difficult to comprehend how vast it is.  There must be awesome places to ride and so much to see.  It looks like you guys have some good comaraderie with the DS fraternity.

I really enjoyed your ride report and the pics.  Sometimes I just can't help thinking of "Always bigger and Better in America".

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 09:24:53 am »
 :drif: :drif:
The pics..... :drif: My favorite kind of terain.

I could sit and stare at this landscape for years....
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline slashback

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 09:54:59 am »
Man that is stunning!!!! Well done GM!
I'm still trying to figure out a word to describe that KLR 705......!!!!! I'm in love!!!!!!!
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog
will give you a look that says, ??My God, you're right!
I never would've thought of that!?

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 09:56:10 am »
What an awesome place to ride!!!
Thanks for posting GM ;D
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 10:25:56 am »
Thanx GM. Enjoyed your report. I want to go to Moab!!!!!

You say your a$$ is not ready for a few 100 miles? With that thingy over your seat, you would barely feel it.

Another thing, please get some proper hand guards, those paddles are ugly.

I'm just jealous....
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Smithey

• RIP
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Njam Njam Njam
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:48:04 am »
Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Oppad

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 12:00:12 am »
Amazing scenery. Words fail me. Thank you!

Offline lonerider

• aka Jason
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Stellenbosch super-sluiper
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 12:11:55 am »
Fantastic scenery! Looks like an awesome place for riding... Thanks for posting - just added another place to visit to my little list... :)
[snip]
I do not think that dying is a good idea.
Living doing something that you love is a good idea.
Living until you die is a good idea. If living happens to kill you it means you made a mistake, but we are human, and humans make mistakes, so go for it, enjoy it, live until you die, rather than not living for your whole life.

Offline GreenMachine

• KLR World
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 02:26:03 am »
Thanx GM. Enjoyed your report. I want to go to Moab!!!!!

You say your a$$ is not ready for a few 100 miles? With that thingy over your seat, you would barely feel it.

Another thing, please get some proper hand guards, those paddles are ugly.

I'm just jealous....
I am working on the scoops. Just put on a ProTaper ATV High set of bars. The bark busters are next.

KLRWorld.com Forums

Go Bulls !