MOAB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMachine

Race Dog
Reaction score
Phoenix, Arizona, USA (Originally Kempton Park)
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
After several months of planning and anticipation the annual CANYONLANDS MOTOR CLASSIC event in Moab was upon us, sponsored by Fred at Arrowhead Motor Sports in Moab, Utah. Fred is one of the largest KLR after market suppliers in the US and he knows a few of the Saffers that order from him on a regular basis. One hell of a nice guy that believes in treating customers with  respect and the highest level of service. Here is his website https://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/parts_frames.html.

Talk about a kid in a candy store. Imagine walking around in a warehouse with just KLR parts. From the smallest to the largest thing you can think off. I walked away after investing in a ProTaper ATV SE High set of handlebars to make standing on the bike easier.

Unfortunately Eagle Mike that makes the balancer levers for the KLR had to bail out at the last minute.

Registration was free and Fred provided dinner every night with a price drawing on the Saturday. Many of us won some prizes and the grand price was a complete set of happy trails panniers, racks and top box !
topbox_58.jpg
. I won a small t-shirt that was a little too, well small for a boere seun like me and had to donate it  :xxbah:

I am a forum moderator over at KLR World.com and we had about 25 members join us, some from as far as Pennsylvania and New York which is a good 2,000 miles away. Some other KLR regulars also showed up and I would not be surprised if we had about 40-50 KLR's there with a few BMW's and KTM's for good measure.

A few guys rode in from all over the US on their KLR's and the farthest was about 1,500 by KLR  :ricky:

I decided to trailer my KLR up as I get some serious monkey ass from riding extended distance. My drive was about 500 miles / 8 hours one way and I did not want to deal with a fall on the trail and then having to ride home injured or suffer bike damage and then being stuck in the middle of nowhere. Luckily, the bike performed flawlessly and I rode well with no get-offs  ;D

I finally got to meet the legendary (at least here in the US) Patman from Patman Racing. This dude used to desert race and although he brought up the rear most of the time, he would seize the moments when we all stopped to turn around a few miles and then come blasting through the desert at 80 MPH. Obviously, his bike is bullet proof with the 705 upgrade and a heavy duty suspension. It was beautiful to see him in action.

Check out his monster KLR 705 with Recluse Auto Clutch and a KX 500 rear rim and tire on the front. He calls it his skid and say the tire just blasts through anything you can throw at it.

DSCN0119.jpg

Copyright - Root @ KLRWorld.com - https://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,8504.0/topicseen.html

A few videos shot by Pat
https://www.patmanracing.com/Image%20host/Video/WRT%2008.WMV
https://www.patmanracing.com/Image%20host/Video/onion%20creek%20trailer.wmv

Once he gets the other edited I will post them up. He followed each of us and filmed us in action, pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, here are some pictures and I will try and comment as I go.

In order below:
- Loaded up and ready to go
- Driving through Flagstaff, AZ. Still some snow on the mountains and just 1 hour earlier it was 36 Celsius in Phoenix  :eek:
- The dog I found while driving through a Indian reservation that his legs all tangled up in a rope around his neck
- The geology starts changing seriously just before I exit Arizona and drive into Utah. This is fairly close to the Grand Canyon.

Attachments

• MOAB 08 - En Route.JPG
    MOAB 08 - En Route.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 417
  • MOAB 08 - Ready To Go.JPG
    MOAB 08 - Ready To Go.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 409
  • MOAB 08 - En Route (5).JPG
    MOAB 08 - En Route (5).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 409
  • MOAB 08 - Lost Dogs.JPG
    MOAB 08 - Lost Dogs.JPG