Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Morocco  (Read 3406 times)

Offline DD650

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Morocco
« on: February 19, 2016, 03:01:07 pm »
We are thinking of doing a trip in Morocco end of the year. Has anyone been to Morocco and can recommend where we can rent decent bikes? Preferably in Casablanca? Or can you recommend someone that can ship our bikes there and back?   :ricky:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Morocco
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 03:02:39 pm »
We are thinking of doing a trip in Morocco end of the year. Has anyone been to Morocco and can recommend where we can rent decent bikes? Preferably in Casablanca? Or can you recommend someone that can ship our bikes there and back?   :ricky:

I suggest you try UKGSER, they will be more familiar.  8)
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline DD650

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 08:33:53 am »
Thanks Welsh.

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 06:06:48 am »
Rode Morocco this fall, lots of bikes there, finding rental should be doable.
You will love Morocco, ride the mountains and the out back. Get the book "Morocco Overland" (I think that was it) by Chris Blight (and I think that is close to his name, sorry I do not have book here or I could get it right).  He had a section on renting bikes and a lot of good information on paperwork and routes.
If you are interested my blog is at "horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/thode" check the index at right and find Morocco.
 :ricky:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 06:13:34 am »
was not very close with the name, author is Chris Scott, will take no bet on how close I was on the book name.
 :ricky:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 06:16:27 am »
New idea, do research first then write.....how is that for an idea

go to "http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/morocco/"  Section there on rentals

Offline DD650

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 08:43:06 am »
Thanks CC.  :)

Offline Vaufi

• Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 06:36:28 pm »
When checking Horizonsunlimited.com you will probably have stumbled across the Morocco Knowledgebase already. If not, here's the link:  http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/forum.php

Great country to travel. Don't miss the Dades Gorge.
Only when we pause to wonder
do we go beyond the limits of our little lives.
(Rod McKuen)

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:08:24 pm »
Go for it. I envy you. It is something I would also love to do.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline luke

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 10:50:26 am »
That place is amazing, Marakesh is a mind boggle, Fez, amazing. Over the mountains to the coast, awesome ride.  Enjoy
Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck ! !

Offline Fransw

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 06:26:39 pm »

Dubbel D, hoekom ry julle nie sommer met d bikes tot in Morocco, julle sal heelwat Spaar op rentals! :thumleft:

On a serious note Google is your friend, there's a place in Casablanca renting crf250's , great bike for that I think..

Offline DD650

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 10:06:47 am »
I wish Frans! Need more leave.    ;D

But found Wheels of Morocco in Casablanca, they have quite a range of bikes available and at fairly decent prices.   :ricky:

Offline Suzukli DL

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 09:22:37 am »
Bump, I know this is an old thread, DD650 did you do Morocco?
What were your experiences and any advise?
Anyone else have something to add?

Offline DD650

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 10:28:49 am »
Suzukli, we did go December last year for 3 weeks. An awesome, awesome trip! Great place, really friendly people, no issues at all. My advice: do it! You will not be sorry. The only thing I am sorry about is that we didn't have more time to spend there. Would do it again in a heartbeat! Let me know if you want more info?

Offline Flipside

• Parow Trooper
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:12 am »
What bikes did you rent, what was the cost and where did you rent?

Offline Bubby

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 08:37:07 am »
What bikes did you rent, what was the cost and where did you rent?

http://www.wheelsofmorocco.net/

Offline DD650

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 08:59:57 am »
We were four people and had 2 x BMW F700GS, 1 x F800GS and 1 R1200GS. We rented from Wheels of Morocco in Casablanca. Excellent service and bikes basically new. I think we paid around 100Euro per day per bike. Chat to Viki, she will give you a good price depending on the number of bikes and how long you want to rent. They will also fetch you at your hotel and drop you off at the hotel again. Greg can also give you some good tips of places to go and roads to ride.

When are you planning to go?

Offline Flipside

• Parow Trooper
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 09:43:15 am »
Thanks for the info.

There's no concrete plans yet, will be in 2018 but still deciding on the country to do next.
I had a google now and looks like 250cc's are available at 45eur, Morocco's high on my list but even at that rate it's still outside my budget.

Offline DD650

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 09:53:10 am »
Accommodation, food, etc is quite cheap but unfortunately the bike hire is expensive.  :'(  But an awesome place! Would love to do it again!

Offline jangys

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 10:08:09 am »
South Africans are currently not welcome in Morocco, cannot obtain a VISA due to the following:

Morocco phosphate ship held in South Africa port over Western Sahara claim
Samia Errazzouki, Patrick Markey
4 MIN READ
RABAT/ALGIERS (Reuters) - A Moroccan phosphate ship has been held in a South African port by a complaint from Western Sahara Polisario movement that it transported cargo unlawfully from the disputed territory, a lawyer and Polisario said on Wednesday.

The seizure of the vessel, carrying 50,000 tonnes of phosphate to New Zealand, may be a test for the Polisario’s use of a European court decision last year that ruled Western Sahara should not be considered part of the Moroccan kingdom in EU and Moroccan deals.

Western Sahara has been disputed since 1975 when Morocco claimed it and the Polisario movement fought a guerilla war for the Sahrawi people’s independence there. A ceasefire in 1991 split the region in two between what Morocco calls its southern Sahara and an area controlled by Polisario.

The two sides have been since locked in diplomatic and legal tussles though tensions flared last year when U.N. peacekeepers had to step in between Moroccan forces and Polisario brigades in the buffer zone near the Mauritania border.

The Marshall Island-flagged NM Cherry Blossom, carrying phosphate from Laayoune in the Moroccan part of the disputed territory for state-run OCP, has been held in Port Elizabeth by a civil maritime court order, OCP said.

“The order issued in South Africa regarding the cargo of the NM Cherry Blossom is a standard temporary measure made on the basis of only one party’s allegations,” OCP legal counsel Othmane Bennani Smires told Reuters by telephone.

“We are fully confident of a favourable resolution once the actual facts of this case are presented to the South African court.”

He said OCP’s Phosboucraa subsidiary and its activities are in full compliance “with the United Nations framework and relevant international legal norms and standards”.

The sparsely populated stretch of desert bordering the Atlantic Ocean, Western Sahara has rich offshore fishing as well as phosphate and possibly oil reserves. OCP, or Office Cherifien de Phosphate (OCP) is the world’s leading phosphate exporter.

Southern African maritime authorities were not immediately available to comment or confirm details but OCP confirmed the other party in the case was Polisario.

Polisario chief negotiator Mohamed Khadad said they had filed the case based on the Western Sahara’s status defined by the U.N. as a non-self governing territory, to protect its natural resources, and also based on the EU court decision.

“There is no possibility to exploit the natural resources of the Western Sahara without the consent of the people of the Western Sahara,” Khadad told Reuters.

“We are convinced, we have been following it from the port of the Laayoune,” he said. “It is a matter of law. We will abide by the last decision of the court.”

In January, Morocco rejoined the African Union regional body, where Polisario’s self-declared Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) is also a member. South Africa along with Algeria have been key supporters of the SADR.

The NM Cherry Blossom case comes as the U.N. Security Council has backed attempts to restart talks between Morocco and Polisario for a mutually acceptable political solution to the question of the region’s self-determination.

Talks have failed for years to bring an end to the dispute. Morocco wants the region to have autonomy within Moroccan sovereignty while Polisario calls for a referendum on self-determination, including on the question of independence.

Writing by Patrick Markey; Editing by Tom Heneghan
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.