Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2017  (Read 117612 times)

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Ousted Rebel Alpha Male
Re: Dakar 2017
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2016, 02:16:29 pm »
Good looking bike.....that KTM :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:21:27 pm by Orangeswifty »
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »
 :sip:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline desertfox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Crosby 400
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2016, 07:46:36 am »
My the force be with You

Offline Rokie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2016, 02:59:28 pm »
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2016, 04:57:21 pm »
Long stages this year, but lots of it liason. IMHO, liasons are a horrible waste of a riders time. They should be minimised wherever possible and not used to artificially pad the race's distances.

Liaisons are an integral part of rally. They are the race in the race that's not a race.

It takes discipline and concentration to ride them. You can't win anything in them but you can certainly loose big time.

They also serve the function of getting the race to the racing part.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2016, 07:56:21 pm »
Long stages this year, but lots of it liason. IMHO, liasons are a horrible waste of a riders time. They should be minimised wherever possible and not used to artificially pad the race's distances.

Liaisons are an integral part of rally. They are the race in the race that's not a race.

It takes discipline and concentration to ride them. You can't win anything in them but you can certainly loose big time.

VERY TRUE!!

A two time Dakar winner (Nasser Al-Attiyah) told me that the liaisons is probably the hardest part of the Dakar. He said that anyone with decent skills can drive the special stages, maybe not as fast as him, but they will manage. The tough part is the fatigue and the concentration, and this is the hardest on long liaisons.  Like Kamanya said, they are an integral part of Dakar and one of the reasons Dakar is so tough!

Offline bud500

« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2016, 09:49:14 am »
Do you guys know whether the cars have cruise control?
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »

VERY TRUE!!

A two time Dakar winner (Nasser Al-Attiyah) told me that the liaisons is probably the hardest part of the Dakar. He said that anyone with decent skills can drive the special stages, maybe not as fast as him, but they will manage. The tough part is the fatigue and the concentration, and this is the hardest on long liaisons.  Like Kamanya said, they are an integral part of Dakar and one of the reasons Dakar is so tough!

Yeah, I understand these arguments, and I appreciate that liasons are necessary. The liasons are harder than most people realise, because you're tired, and still have to carefully maintain your speed close to the limit, without exceeding it. The driving itself is easy, but fatigue presents a new, dangerous challenge (just ask certain Amageza riders this year about their "incidents" on the way back to the bivvy!). Unfortunately you're not really credited in any way for this effort.

Did the African editions also have such long liasons?

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2016, 11:41:31 pm »
Lovely lady.... Cristina Gutierrez.  :thumleft:

Cristina Gutierrez: "Ending up second of Spain's championships last season helped me imagine myself participating in the race of my dreams, the Dakar. Like many others in my discipline, I've been dreaming of crossing dunes and piloting through the toughest tracks in the world since I was a child, watching the Dakar on the television. Today I still hardly believe that I will be at the start of the Dakar in a few weeks. It's a dream come true. My goal this year is to try and learn as much as I can, although I had the chance to meet with Jutta Kleinschmidt a few months ago and… I hope I can follow in her footsteps in the future!"

"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2016, 11:44:25 pm »
the contenders for the crown....

https://web.facebook.com/dakar/videos/1298353456890625

<a href="https://web.facebook.com/dakar/videos/1298353456890625/" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://web.facebook.com/dakar/videos/1298353456890625/</a>
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:46:40 pm by wiledog_X »
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2016, 06:10:07 am »
the contenders for the crown....

https://web.facebook.com/dakar/videos/1298353456890625

<a href="https://web.facebook.com/dakar/videos/1298353456890625/" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://web.facebook.com/dakar/videos/1298353456890625/</a>

Great appetiser - can't wait. Toby got to be the favourite but as usual will be open season  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2016, 10:13:11 am »
Dakar Malle moto entries so far mentioned:

35 Robert Jr. van Pelt Husqvarna Rally
39 Jurgen van den Goorbergh KTM EXC
47 Jose Julian Kozac KTM
54 Manuel Lucchese Yamaha WR 450 F
63 Diocleziano Toia KTM Rally
71 Jasper Riezebos KTM Rally
61 Franco Picco Yamaha WR 450 F
74 Maciej Berdysz KTM Rally
84 Simon Marcic KTM
95 Mart Meeru Husqvarna Rally
100 Lyndon Poskitt KTM Rally
117 Toomas Triisa Husqvarna Rally
120 David Watson KTM Rally
133 John Comoglio KTM EXC
167 Matteo Olivetto KTM Rally

Manny "shoestring" Luchesse, van Pelt and Poskitt are likely to be in strong contention for the trophy. Keep an eye on Franco Picco who is a veteran Italian malle moto competitor and also a helluva nice guy to boot. I doubt he wlll be fighting for the trophy but is one of those guys who likes to do the Dakar for holiday relaxation ;D
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline bud500

« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2016, 11:42:48 am »
Why would v.d. Goorbergh not feature in your top picks BB?
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2016, 02:27:27 pm »
I dont know him bud500 - can you tell us more about him?
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2016, 02:49:14 pm »
Dakar Malle moto entries so far mentioned:

35 Robert Jr. van Pelt Husqvarna Rally
39 Jurgen van den Goorbergh KTM EXC
47 Jose Julian Kozac KTM
54 Manuel Lucchese Yamaha WR 450 F
63 Diocleziano Toia KTM Rally
71 Jasper Riezebos KTM Rally
61 Franco Picco Yamaha WR 450 F
74 Maciej Berdysz KTM Rally
84 Simon Marcic KTM
95 Mart Meeru Husqvarna Rally
100 Lyndon Poskitt KTM Rally
117 Toomas Triisa Husqvarna Rally
120 David Watson KTM Rally
133 John Comoglio KTM EXC
167 Matteo Olivetto KTM Rally

Manny "shoestring" Luchesse, van Pelt and Poskitt are likely to be in strong contention for the trophy. Keep an eye on Franco Picco who is a veteran Italian malle moto competitor and also a helluva nice guy to boot. I doubt he wlll be fighting for the trophy but is one of those guys who likes to do the Dakar for holiday relaxation ;D
Franco Picco as in the guy who raced Dakar for Yamaha in the mid 80's ? Van der Goorbergh was a MotoGP racer if it's the same guy ?
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2016, 04:35:16 pm »

Franco Picco as in the guy who raced Dakar for Yamaha in the mid 80's ? Van der Goorbergh was a MotoGP racer if it's the same guy ?

Yes this will be his 21st Dakar :hello2:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:45 pm »
FROM the ASO via FR2 television.  Translated badly from French.

Joey Evans take note about the WPC's - different to Morrocco. Somebody point him to read these important notes from Marc Coma while they were setting up the route for the Dakar. :deal:

Our recognition of the Dakar 2017 starts with a very long journey

13 hours night flight Paris-Buenos Aires, one hour from Taxi to change airport and from Ezeiza to Aeropark Newbery and another 2 hours flight to Salta. There we find Luis Alberto Gomez, called LAG, who will drive us throughout the week to come.

But the journey is not over: 2 hours drive to join Marc Coma (the Race Director) and Francisco Rometo (Logistics Manager) who are waiting for us in Cafayate.

A small snack, kind to taste, and it left again for 2 hours more, towards the south.20 hours after takeoff from Roissy we finally find the whole team recos. Our first Argentine night will happen under the stars.

The bivouac is being installed. We fall in the arms of these fellow travelers with whom we share exceptional moments for 9 years and we get to work. First pictures and interviews, assembly of the camp, preparation of a succulent asado ...

The team structure has changed since last year: Tiziano Siviero, a member of the Dakar organization since his arrival in South America, replaces Jean-Pierre Fontenay (who runs a Dakar Academy in China) at the wheel of The car that traces the road-book. At his side, Xavi Colomé, Catalan, like Marc Coma. Xavi is the former teammate of Pep Vila, truck driver emeritus of the Iveco stable. Siviero was twice world champion of the rallies in 88 and 89, to the right of Miki Biason. Two former co-pilots to write the road-book ... With the idea of complicating the life of the crews in terms of navigation.

The Way Points Control (WPC) ... The novelty of the Dakar 2017 and the first of our subjects of conversation, from the first evening.Observer last year, Marc Coma can now "dare" this year. And there is no better position than he (he won the Dakar 2015) to know how the factory stables make use of all the hightech technologies to pre-read and thus predict the Road Book delivered in the evening for The next day.

( ADV: A.S.O. NEW Regulation says now 300m validation at WPC )

The Mapmen (cartographers hired by the top-teams) are able to draw hyper precisely the layout of the special. Obviously, surprise and adventure ... there was something wrong ...

To combat the phenomenon, Coma decided to degrade the GPS provided by the organization (the only ones allowed in vehicles). Until last year, the competitors "caught" waypoints in the following way: at 800m (sometimes less) from the compulsory crossing point an arrow appeared on the GPS screen to guide them to the PRECIS point and then one The second arrow indicated to them for a few moments the direction of the next waypoint.

All this is over! Coma: "Now with the Way Points Control, they will arrive in a virtual circle of 300m radius in the middle of which is the point. The trick is that as soon as they enter the circle, the GPS will emit a beep and validate the point, without indicating arrow! And more arrow to guide them on the next point either! You know you've passed close enough to the point to have it but nothing more. The GPS does not tell you if you are left or right of the point and it does not tell you which side is the next point "

In theory, the project is coherent. It will clearly complicate the task of the co-drivers who, I am sure, will come and complain in the ears of Coma every night at the bivouac. I am sure - also - that Coma will stand firm. "To find a certain form of adventure, uncertainty, this is the best solution for now," concludes the Clerk of the Course.

The practice starts tomorrow: we attack the special N ° 9. It's past midnight. In bed !Under the stars…

WITHOUT TRACK, WITH SAND
Published on 8 December 2016/0

First morning of recos of the Dakar 2017. Usual rudenesses. Wake up at 5:30 am, temperature outside tents: -2 degrees. The camp is quickly bent. The prospect of being warm in cars is factor ... motivating.

It was well done to patoter navigation at the vigil: the special n ° 9, in the heart of the stage Salta-Chilecito, will be made 90% off-piste. The first bikers to start will make the trace, and the task will not be easy. We evolve here permanently in a semi-desert landscape. Apart from a few rocky bars, there are few great visual cues; So there are few means of precisely locating oneself by looking at what is around it, since there is no point of visual attachment to guide oneself.

It is therefore imperative to follow the road-book and especially the headings indicated. Because this special is far from going straight from point A to point B. View on a map, it is even frankly tarabiscotée. We shall go in all directions to describe arabesques on this immense sandy plain. Further on, it is necessary to destroy small dunes covered with vegetation. With the naked eye, one does not perceive the change of ground but the shock absorbers take charge: we are well shaken, tufts of thorny in clumps of thorns. As we progress the sand becomes more and more soft and, of course, we end up staying there.O ur car is the first "tankée" but the others will have their turn. On this portion of 40km in all, the 4 cars of the little train recos were found sanded alternately (and sometimes two by two!) To the bottom of the doors.

Obviously, we rescued each other. But we had to play radios and even give the GPS point of the silting place because at 100m distance, we no longer see so much terrain is undulating. Suffice to say that in the race, the unhappy fell in some sneaky bowl runs the risk of remaining alone long, far from the gaze of others, in their bathtub of sand.

Tiziano Siviero and Xavi Colomé will even take the time to look for an alternative to the trace drawn in pre-recos, in the spring, in case this piece of special becomes too difficult to cross in case of heat. If the temperature exceeds 35 degrees in January, it will be much more difficult because the sand will be much less carrier ...

The last 20 km of the first part of the timed sector are cooler but we are far from finished. We find the tar for 100km of neutralization that will lead us to the start of the second part of the stage."There will be a lot of neutralizations," says Marc Coma, Race Director. It's no use riding on hyper-easy games. We're wasting miles. There, with the neutralization, the stage is 406km in all, and we have 306km of very selective grounds. It's much more "sporty" like that."

We get back to "sport" so after a good hour of resting tar. The control mode changes. One is in the bed of an endless river that one goes up to make practically turn and go down in the bed of a parallel river before ... to go up a third dried river. Not far from 130km to reach a dune sector. Ten kilometers of pure dunes, identical to those found in the Sahara.One even wonders what they are doing there, in the heart of the sierras, name given to the mountainous massifs that surround this patch of sand. "It's crazy the difference in lift of the sand depending on whether you pass 50 meters to the left or 50 meters to the right of the track, is surprised Patrick Juillet, the mechanic of the band, 15 years recos to the counter."

With Luis Alberto, we crossed this cord like a flower. The sand seemed to us to be particularly hard. Meanwhile, the other carriages sank into silting. And it can not be said that the pilots of the aforementioned discovered the sand ...

Even on the tops of these rounded dunes, the sand can be extremely soft. No way to find the ideal trajectory. These "moving" sand zones have exactly the same appearance as the supporting parts. This ten kilometers of dunes resembles a lottery. Coma: "They will get tired here by the first 360 kilometers. It is already difficult to see where the good passages are and with the loss of lucidity due to fatigue, it will be as hard for them as it has been for us.

A bit of jumping track to finish with this special N ° 9 and still a link of more than 100km to rally the bivouac of Chilecito. It will be a long day of racing.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:51:01 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline KTM Jagermeister

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2016, 10:11:02 am »
This is my hero of Dakar 2017

http://fromparatodakar.co.za/

Go Joey !!!!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2016, 11:36:44 am »

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2016, 12:05:17 pm »