Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2017  (Read 120706 times)

Offline gmac

Dakar 2017
« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
I'm keeping An eye on Vincent Crosbie - bought my first new KTM 125 from his Dad in 2001 in Botswana (his dad subsequently passed away)

Vinnie used to ride 65's in those days - don't know him at all now but he was a very respectful kid. - comes from a normal family so he must have worked hard to live his dream!

Hoping he finishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 04:02:26 pm by gmac »

Offline SteveD

Re: Dakar 2017
« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2017, 08:30:59 pm »
Riders briefing has started.
Check out Vincent Crosbie on Facebook, (https://web.facebook.com/vincent.crosbie) he is streaming portions live.

Also check out https://web.facebook.com/dakar/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED.
The start podium will be streamed live on facebook, starting at 22h30 our time tonight.

Some times:

Offline SteveD

« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2017, 08:33:54 pm »
You can't take a Dutchman anywhere! Check out the "motocross-style boots"

Offline SteveD

« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2017, 08:53:26 pm »
Manny:

I am suprised he got through scrutineering with the baby Iritrack mounted on his rear fender.

Rosa Roma, one of very few ladies

"Finally we already have the bikes in the park closed, these days prior to the beginning is too long, and here with 45 degrees feels like it's hard! But we've come this far, this afternoon a pre podium and tomorrow start the #dakar2017 go for it!!!! "

Offline SteveD

« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2017, 09:02:25 pm »
Briefing:

Offline SteveD

« Reply #205 on: January 01, 2017, 09:15:14 pm »
Remember the Russian lady that was excluded for failing a doping test? Well they are going to let her ride  :thumleft:

From http://www.motorsport.com/dakar/news/russia-s-nifontova-granted-dakar-entry-after-doping-case-862340/

Anastasiya Nifontova will be allowed to take part in the 2017 Dakar Rally following her doping case and provisional suspension, as the FIM has opted to grant her a one-event license.
Nifontova, 37, had been gearing up for her first Dakar participation, but her debut came under threat when traces of “non-specified substance” meldonium were found in her urine sample during the Moroccan round of the Cross-Country Rallies World Championship.
However, the Russian rider worked to assemble documents in order to reverse the suspension, and her efforts eventually paid off.
In a statement regarding its ruling, the FIM wrote: “The exceptional decision has been taken after important facts emerged in the course of the ongoing investigation of the case, and is notably based on clarified and updated medical information supplied by Ms Anastasiya Nifontova to the FIM.
“After a careful balancing of the various interests at stake, the FIM considers that not to allow the MFR [Motorcycle Federation of Russia] to issue a One Event International Licence for the 2017 Dakar Rally to Ms Anastasiya Nifontova, thereby preventing her from taking part in this event, could cause her irreparable harm.”

The official announcement of the decision arrived just two days before the start of the marathon.
Nifontova, who will contest the event on the #59 Husqvarna FR 450, commented: “I feel like I'm at the finish of Dakar already, everybody has congratulated me... and, of course, I'm very exhausted, it was very stressful. Now I have to calm down and to look forward to the race.
“I'm not sure about my sporting result, as for the last two months I didn't have enough time to prepare myself, but I think everything will be okay.”

Doping scandals involving Russian sportspeople have been a major staple of this past sporting year, punctuated by the travails of the country's Olympic team and the ban handed out to tennis star Maria Sharapova over a positive test for meldonium – the very same substance that landed Nifontova in trouble.
The Russian rider, however, was keen to distance herself from any other Russia-related doping scandals.
“In my particular case, everything was very objective, without any special additives from a political point of view or anything – and I want to thank the FIM for their objective work,” she said.
“I cannot say anything about the other cases, I don't know a lot about them. All the cases are connected with Olympics teams, they have doctors, lawyers, all the personnel...
“I am a rider of my own, I don't have that many employers. My case stands apart from all of this.”

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:17:29 pm by SteveD »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #206 on: January 01, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »
Zongshen Motorcycles have five riders.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #207 on: January 01, 2017, 09:32:58 pm »
Cool video, slightly out of date. Benavides is out, injured.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #208 on: January 01, 2017, 09:35:56 pm »
 :sip:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline JC

« Reply #209 on: January 01, 2017, 09:45:13 pm »
sub!

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline SteveD

« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2017, 11:07:01 pm »
Facebook feed is a dead duck.

Joey's been on the podium

Offline SteveD

« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2017, 11:12:29 pm »
From http://www.motorsportmedia.co.za/article.asp?conID=11575

There was drama for Giniel de Villiers and Dirk von Zitzewitz' Red Bull Gazoo Racing Toyota at the team's pre-Dakar test in Asunçion, Paraguay on the eve of the big race this afternoon, when the number 302 bakkie ran very high engine temperatures during the final shakedown at Toyota's private 4km test track here which was graded before the rally.   

"The car ran hot," Toyota Dakar boss Glyn Hall confirmed in a press conference this evening. "We changed radiators, water pumps, everything and could not solve the problem. Eventually we found that some aluminium shavings had come through into the manifold and blocked a bleed pipe.

"It was a very stressful morning - it could have been catastrophic.
"  The problem has been solved and the team is now ready for the start tomorrow.

In a separate development, de Villiers revealed that Carlos Sainz had already complained that 2017's Balance of Performance is not fair and that the restrictor sizes favour the Toyotas. "According to Carlos this Peugeot hasn't changed much from last year but is more reliable," de Villiers conceded.

Further team revelations confirmed that the de Villiers car will run air conditioning, while Al Attiyah will do without that comfort, although both cars will run at the minimum weight specified for the Hilux. "Nasser just doesn't want the temptation of switching it on." Glyn Hall confirmed.

Offline Buff

« Reply #213 on: January 01, 2017, 11:13:13 pm »
Just watched the SS intro and it was great to see David, Joey & Vince get some great coverage. USN got its full sponsor worth in the first show & David almost found himself a new stukkie  >:D ;D
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Bring It On

« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2017, 11:28:34 pm »
Just watched the SS intro and it was great to see David, Joey & Vince get some great coverage. USN got its full sponsor worth in the first show & David almost found himself a new stukkie  >:D ;D

Its times like this that I wish I had full DSTV Premium. Would love to have been able to follow the race on SS.
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2017, 11:40:30 pm »
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2017, 06:09:44 am »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2017, 06:17:40 am »
40 minute count down  :lol8:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline abnormaload

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2017, 06:59:33 am »
What is best option to watch Dakar? Really don't want to have to depend on DSTV every evening!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2017, 07:06:31 am »
https://www.yamaha-racing.com/dakar/bike

Are they really running Rekluse clutch? Or is it just for more oil capacity?
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.