Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2017  (Read 118800 times)

Offline Xpat

Re: Dakar 2017
« Reply #780 on: January 05, 2017, 11:36:00 pm »
Stage 3

Offline Xpat

« Reply #781 on: January 06, 2017, 12:11:25 am »
Joey at WP11  - which means basically in the ASS  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

(it took others 4 minutes to get from WP11 to ASS)

Hasta la vista till tomorrow.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #782 on: January 06, 2017, 02:58:56 am »
From somebody on Walter's team, via FB:

Hi there!!! Walter phoned a bit earlier. He is fine and well but his bike broke down. There was dirty petrol in the bike and the injectors got blocked and when they fixed it they could not find clean petrol and the bike broke down again. The officials said that he wont be able to make it to the end before the cut off time and therefore he is unfortunately out of the race😢 He is very disappointed. He said to tell all of you thank you for all the support the past few days he really appreciate it. Will keep you up to date....

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #783 on: January 06, 2017, 03:17:03 am »
From somebody on Walter's team, via FB:

Hi there!!! Walter phoned a bit earlier. He is fine and well but his bike broke down. There was dirty petrol in the bike and the injectors got blocked and when they fixed it they could not find clean petrol and the bike broke down again. The officials said that he wont be able to make it to the end before the cut off time and therefore he is unfortunately out of the race😢 He is very disappointed. He said to tell all of you thank you for all the support the past few days he really appreciate it. Will keep you up to date....

:'(
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #784 on: January 06, 2017, 03:19:27 am »
Other major news is that BB (Honda) was slapped with a 1 hour penalty for illegal refuelling in a non designated zone. This drops him to #13 on overall standings and Quint at #1, Walkner #2, Svitko #3. I am sure Honda will appeal in earnest but evidently was a cut and dry infringement. Not sure why it only affected him and not the the other Honda riders?

Edit: Gonk, Metge and Brabec also affected
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:32:51 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline SteveD

« Reply #785 on: January 06, 2017, 03:28:19 am »
Oh good grief!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #786 on: January 06, 2017, 03:30:56 am »
From Meredith, Joey's wife, via WhatsApp:

Just had a very quick phone call from Joey as he was using Bart's sat phone, he's in at the bivouac and finished the stage. He still doesn't have wifi sorted but is going to try and make a plan tomorrow. Not many details but 2 of his team are out, Walter he thinks due to a burnt out motor and I think he said Ronald too. Joey is a bit worried he's done something to his hip and so is off to the medics now to see if he can get it strapped and an injection, he only got a couple hours of sleep last night and so hopes to get more tonight. If he can he will make his way over to Darryl and do another briefing of the stage which ZA Bikers will send out tomorrow...that's about it😉👍🏻

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #787 on: January 06, 2017, 03:39:48 am »
Damn it I was shocked by that hour penalty. I was just getting some respect for Bam Bam, and then they refuel somewhere on a liason where they are not supposed to refuel. WTF?
It must have been a team truck.

It will be interesting to see if JBB will revert to crazy antics to claw back the time. I dont think so. We have been brutal on old Joan Barreda for a few years now and not without reason, but for two days he has ridden with precision and not put a foot wrong, navigating the whole day today very successfully.

He had 18 minutes on his nearest rival; all he had to do was play tag. Now he has to win more stages to get 41 minutes back. That's going to be tough but he only needs 3 stages (it seems) to do that. If he pulls it off well I take my hat off, the guy is alien material. Cant believe I am saying this but i feel for the guy right now.

Strange that Gonçalves has not been given the same penalty, and I dearly hope not. Not sure why it is has not been applied. ASO is a strange beast. I have such respect for this man. He was not interested in anything else today except the well being of his friend TP.

Sam: He has not been in the limelight much, but is just 7 minutes off the leader. He is looking strong for a podium; if he has a trouble free run he will be there for sure...but how long is it before something crops up? This Dakar has been special that way with many surprises. I think we may be in for more, nevermind the marathon stages still being ahead.

Toby Price. Man, its a sad thing to see that broken bike; what must be going through his mind right now in La Paz. I really felt he was perhaps pushing a little too hard. He came through too aggressively in his daily rhetoric - The mouth reveals a man's mind. He was not relaxed like he was the last two years. No, lets be fair. He started out very relaxed, the "normal" Toby on the first two days. Then the pressure was there no doubt. I think he may have allowed it in a bit. I had the feeling he wanted to do a Marc Coma on everyone today and take a 25 minute lead. Throttle to the donkey and a nasty rut did the rest. Marc crashed badly in the same situation (remember he rolled at 80km/hr or more and briefly lost his bike in the dust) but avoided serious injury that time, Toby did not. As Thias said, its a dangerous game and things can change quickly at the speeds they ride. Get well soon Toby.

So amazing to see Joey thrashing through his snowball. You could literally see him shrug off the worry and panic in that deep fesh fesh. Remember he is unable to pick up a bike using his legs. Mind blowing how he whoops, digs deeper still, ignores his legs doing the sewing machine juggle and just gets on with it. Ignore. Just ignore the pain. On his roadbook it is written "you did not get this far to get this far".

Fantastic. This Dakar may be the best in South America yet.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:40:15 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #788 on: January 06, 2017, 04:40:43 am »
The Gasgate scenario is due to the Honda riders (and looks like may be a few others with a 1 hr penalty as well) refuelling on the link stage at an unauthorised petrol station. They were meant to use the designated one. Harsh yes, but org apply the rules like that … most times at any rate. If BB can stay in the saddle and claw 40 minutes back it will be astounding. You can also be sure Honda are going Kamikaze and Big Red will appeal Big Time  :lol8:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:41:56 am by BiG DoM »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #789 on: January 06, 2017, 04:47:24 am »
"Dakar 2017 bikes leader Joan Barreda is among the three Honda factory riders who are to have an hour added to their times following Thursday's stage.

The Spaniard ended the day with an 18-minute gap over his nearest rival, Husqvarna's Pablo Quintanilla.
However, Barreda, along with teammates Michael Metge and Paulo Goncalves, was found to have refuelled in a prohibited zone during the Jujuy – Tupiza test.
The organisers have stated they are also looking into the data for Honda's fourth factory rider Ricky Brabec.
Honda can appeal the decision, although the insistence from Dakar representatives was that the offense had been clear cut."

Crazy race tactics by Honda, why risk it when BB had such a huge lead?

Offline SteveD

« Reply #790 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:12 am »
From ADV:

Tupiza (Bolivia) .- The whole team Honda HRC, except for Ricky Brabeck, who is being investigated at 19:20 local time, has received a sanction of an hour about his time in general for having fueled in an area Not allowed.

In the stage of this Thursday of 521 kilometers of route, could only refuel at the beginning of the special, around the 103 km and in the CP1. About 10 kilometers before reaching the border with Bolivia, the pilots had to wait 15 minutes to resume the march. And that's where the Honda guys made the mistake.

With a service station next door, Joan Barreda, Paulo Gonçalves and Michael Metge have loaded fuel in that station incurring the regulation. This specifies that you can not leave the road book route to refuel and the three Honda have done so in an unspecified station on it.

The case is very reminiscent of what happened to Peterhansel during a stretch of neutralization in 2016, when the victory was called into question until the investigation determined that there was no sanction. This time, there was.

Thus, Barreda is relegated to the 12th position, at 41:41 minutes of the new leader, the Chilean Pablo Quintanilla.

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #791 on: January 06, 2017, 06:07:02 am »
Laia Sanz -

from her twitter (google translted from spanish):

I hesitated before a WP, I stopped to confirm it with another pilot and he told me that I had skipped two WP

But it was not like that, the WP was 500 meters ahead. I've come back and I've had to do it again

I've lost half an hour. I know that it was a mistake of mine to have listened to him, but it is not easy

Laia lost an hour from this mistake - and she cannot really blame anyone else I'm afraid - its a huge pity. :-\
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #792 on: January 06, 2017, 06:08:37 am »
My head is spinning , all the drama .

GasGate makes no sense , there must be some explanation. These guys are experienced riders , how come they made a mistake ? Hope they get the penalty reversed . Ai . I was really rooting for Bam Bam for a win this year .

Sorry about Price and Botturi .

Sucks about Laia losing all that time and the way she was treated !

http://www.marca.com/motor/dakar/2017/01/05/586eabe146163f39028b4687.html

LAIA Sainz has known it part unpleasant of the Dakar, when you feel cheated by a partner, although is a rival in race. The Catalan, who finished the fourth stage in the post 38 and lost an hour regarding the winner of the day, told BRAND that Joaquim Rodrigues had cheated during the dispute of the special.

"I am angry and disappointed because somewhere off-piste in which was doubtful with a waypoint for which I needed very little, I have stopped the pilot back to not start messing and asked what km was. It was Joaquim Rodrigues and he told me was much more forward than we really were, and that he had already spent two waypoints. "Tell me this so convinced I've returned back looking for the waypoints that supposedly I had jumped when, in reality, only needed me shooting 500 meters forward to find the first one", explained the pilot of KH-7.

"I am angry with the pilot and angry with myself for having me believed. You never think that someone you will say one thing that isn't, because in a race like the Dakar, when you lose, usually people it helps a lot. I have lost much time, but it important is living still in race. Luck is that if this Dakar is all thus, there will be time to fix things,"added the Catalan.

Laia was found with the Portuguese to reach the bivouac in Tupiza and was about to lose your temper, but was contained. "I've seen it arriving at the end of the stage and have entered me desire to go get him. He would tell him something unpleasant at that time, hot, but I have content I. In the end everything is back. I think that it is new in the Dakar and doesn't quite understand the philosophy of this race"reflected Sanz, who now is 24th overall to one hour and 44 minutes of Barreda.

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #793 on: January 06, 2017, 06:14:37 am »
Hey its Rynet  :hello:

Offline peteb

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
« Reply #794 on: January 06, 2017, 06:15:22 am »
Does anyone know why David has a 2 hour penalty? I may have missed it in previous posts.
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #795 on: January 06, 2017, 06:15:59 am »
Goncalves got 12 minutes back.

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #796 on: January 06, 2017, 06:21:16 am »
    - bike 020 - Stronger than lightning
    Ivan Jakeš is a very lucky man. Although he should probably have dropped out of the race after having been struck by lightning near Jujuy, the Slovakian finished the first stage in Bolivia in sixteenth position.

[​IMG]

Half an hour after having reached the bivouac in Tupiza, Ivan Jakeš was sleeping like a baby on the bed in his motorhome. His mechanics were wondering just how he had managed to get there. Earlier on, the rally's doctors had advised him to throw in the towel. “No way,” he replied to them. “I want to prove that I can make it to the finish”. Ivan Jakeš is a tough cookie and once again demonstrated that he is a hard nut to crack. Nevertheless, on Wednesday lighting struck less than five metres away from his bike. Luckily, both his boots were on the footholds of his KTM. “The impact was huge,” explained one of his team. “He couldn't see anything with his left eye and completed the remaining three hundred kilometres of the stage having trouble judging the distances”. On arrival in Jujuy, Ivan spent four hours at the medical centre. The Slovakian underwent a whole range of tests (blood sample, electrocardiogram, etc.) before being given the green light to continue the adventure. Even though the medical team advised him to call it a day, Ivan awoke at 4.00 in the morning to climb onto his bike and tackle the fourth stage. “He has a very sore left shoulder, his hand is stiff and he's seeing blue and green stars in his left eye,” confirmed his manager. “But nothing can stop him. At the worst, we'll give him a road-book in braille”.

If I'm not mistaken this is the same guy the rode most of the race with a broken collar bone a few years ago?

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #797 on: January 06, 2017, 06:21:56 am »
Hey its Rynet  :hello:

hehe, hello Alan.  :bunny:

Very busy here at work so G R E A T to have the updates and pics from you , Big Dom, Steve and BB and others , much appreciated !  :3some:

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #798 on: January 06, 2017, 06:25:44 am »
OK so this is the Gasgate Rynet was referring to ....

On the TV word is that all the HONDA will have an hour penalty for refueling in an unauthorized zone

That sucks....

Poor old Barreda - he never gets a break, everyone hates him (although that's partly his own fault - but only partly). Even when he does everything perfectly!

He and Speedy deserve much better IMO.

They have both paid their dues many times over!

Offline Tuareg

• Race Dog
  • Braap....
« Reply #799 on: January 06, 2017, 06:26:14 am »
Has Bang-Bang been penalised?
What for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Present: Yamaha TW 200Husaberg FE 650KTM 990 Adv RHonda XR650R
Past: KTM 450 XC-WKTM 950 Adv