Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2017  (Read 118799 times)

Offline normanb

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
Re: Dakar 2017
« Reply #940 on: January 06, 2017, 07:16:49 pm »
Joey is home, but any chance of a high finish is over. Our hopes are with the Matswana now.
When you're on an Mx track,
beware the guy with a camelbak

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #941 on: January 06, 2017, 07:23:05 pm »
Joey is home, but any chance of a high finish is over. Our hopes are with the Matswana now.

High finish was never the plan  ::)  A FINISH WILL BE A WIN!  :3some:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #942 on: January 06, 2017, 07:29:12 pm »
Looking at the overall times it has really gone pear shaped for HRC - Poor Gonk and BB et al there was a good race developing before gasgate  :-[
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline SpeedMetal

« Reply #943 on: January 06, 2017, 07:32:26 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for a great thread! All you need to know about Dakar! I don't even have to go seek any other info anywhere else...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

GODSPEED!

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #944 on: January 06, 2017, 08:14:25 pm »

That is VERY True!  To finish this year's DAKAR you definitely deserve a GOLD Medal!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Go Guys!!!!
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #945 on: January 06, 2017, 08:21:01 pm »
Looking at the overall times it has really gone pear shaped for HRC - Poor Gonk and BB et al there was a good race developing before gasgate  :-[
b

Pity hey...
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #946 on: January 06, 2017, 08:23:17 pm »
Honda could just as well have stayed in Japan and ripped up millions of dollars, would have saved them getting sand in their cracks and not getting anywhere. Fark it must sucks  :BangHead:

I'd throw all my toys, pack my bags and fuck off home.  Give them a big Fuck KTM finger while I'm walking out the door.

Alternatively they could spend some time reading the rules & doing extra maths homework........

:spitcoffee: :laughing4:

It's not KTM that made the mistake or tried to bend the rules... Really  ::)

Eggcacurley. :laughing7:   :lamer:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:23:48 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline normanb

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
« Reply #947 on: January 06, 2017, 08:23:50 pm »

It will be, hope his injury this early on does not take it's toll. A finish will be heroic.
When you're on an Mx track,
beware the guy with a camelbak

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #948 on: January 06, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »
Ya no, look: The altiplano in the wind and rain is a shittty, very cold and miserable place.  Really REALLY kak. That liaison is going to be crap. Its longer because the stage is shortened, and it still a shitty shitty road. It took us about 6 hours in a car. ::)

Joey tells us how the previous two days went.

What a machine :notworthy: :notworthy:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:30:22 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #949 on: January 06, 2017, 08:30:54 pm »
And here is Quintanilla and Helder getting ready for that liaison :P  :puke_r: :puke_r: :puke_r:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:31:29 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Would I?

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #950 on: January 06, 2017, 08:34:56 pm »
Ya no, look: The altiplano in the wind and rain is a shittty, very cold and miserable place.  Really REALLY kak. That liaison is going to be crap. Its longer because the stage is shortened, and it still a shitty shitty road. It took us about 6 hours in a car. ::)

Joey tells us how the previous two days went.

What a machine :notworthy: :notworthy:

Go Joey!!!! you are a machine!!!! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
You either make dust or you eat dust.
KLR 650
KTM 950 Adventure S

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #951 on: January 06, 2017, 08:35:08 pm »
Honda could just as well have stayed in Japan and ripped up millions of dollars, would have saved them getting sand in their cracks and not getting anywhere. Fark it must sucks  :BangHead:

I'd throw all my toys, pack my bags and fuck off home.  Give them a big Fuck KTM finger while I'm walking out the door.

Alternatively they could spend some time reading the rules & doing extra maths homework........

:spitcoffee: :laughing4:

It's not KTM that made the mistake or tried to bend the rules... Really  ::)

Eggcacurley. :laughing7:   :lamer:

It's all a KTM conspiracy I'm telling you. Honda was going to kick their arse this year and they had to come up with some crap to get their bikes in.... :lol8:
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Online gmac

« Reply #952 on: January 06, 2017, 08:37:30 pm »
Agreed - mad respect for Joey evans - when I saw his legs in spasm I felt for the guy - what an animal

This whole Toby price crash and Gasgate with Honda has kind of ruined it....

Anyway vinnie doing good - he's no slouch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #953 on: January 06, 2017, 08:44:20 pm »
I'm a bit upset about David Thomas, hey. :(  Rudi - were you able to make contact? It would be amazing to hear his whole story. All we have seen is him moving along doing really well.

Offline SpeedMetal

« Reply #954 on: January 06, 2017, 08:54:48 pm »
I had the pleasure of riding with Joey at last years Baja, he is certainly not the fastest but he's got tenacity. We stayed together at a near by camp site, a mate and I rented a rondawel and Joey stayed outside our door in a tent. We invited him to join us but he refused. He was training for the Dakar. It was quite a miserable night out and we had plenty of space. After it all he borrowed us his towbar after they stole ours off his brand new bakkie without even knowing us. What a guy! I hope he really makes it. Godspeed!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:55:58 pm by SpeedMetal »
GODSPEED!

Offline XRRX

« Reply #955 on: January 06, 2017, 09:21:54 pm »
Any Vendors here selling those HRC longrange tanks taking an hour to fill - please!?
 :patch: :peepwall:
Sorry - now I'm against the HONOURABLE ESTABLISHMENT again -  I'll penalise myself for 60 min ...  :-[

Offline XRRX

« Reply #956 on: January 06, 2017, 09:28:23 pm »
And you're surprised!  ::)
The 450 Rally is fast, but not a missile ya know...
They're just cruising now - to prevent more penalties or to give Honda's big brass a chance to say : "Let's fark off" !!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #957 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:28 pm »
I had the pleasure of riding with Joey at last years Baja, he is certainly not the fastest but he's got tenacity. We stayed together at a near by camp site, a mate and I rented a rondawel and Joey stayed outside our door in a tent. We invited him to join us but he refused. He was training for the Dakar. It was quite a miserable night out and we had plenty of space. After it all he borrowed us his towbar after they stole ours off his brand new bakkie without even knowing us. What a guy! I hope he really makes it. Godspeed!

I was honored to get a lift with Joey for my bike & I on the 800km trip from Jozie to the Amageza rally. We had time to talk about a lot of stuff. He is a very, very driven individual. He had shingles before and during the event with the rash on his head. Most people cannot stand the softest pillow; but Joey shrugged it off and pulled on a helmet instead. Then he helped about 6 guys right through the rally "to make his days longer and more like a Dakar day".

We did malle moto together and everyday he would come in bouncing with energy and sounding on top of the world. He was tired like the rest of us, and very very sore, on antibiotics. More than that - He was also dealing with his catheters and drain pipes, his special meds to help his digestive system work, etc. but he carried on like there was nothing holding him back at all. He still had time to help me take my box down from the back of the truck. It was amazing to see. Humbling for me.

I realized that for Joey there is no "try", there is only "do".

He is literally a real live Chuck Norris. When he gets sick or tired, I suppose he compares that to being paralyzed and simply concludes "well this is not nearly so bad". The he just carries right on where he left off, where the rest of us would likely fall over by the wayside.

I remember him describing how he stopped next to a guy who crashed and broken his oil circuit by cracking the case on a rock. He did not accept that it was the end of the guy's race, and told him not to be so negative. A couple of people came past and confirmed the guy was not going to be able to ride. Not our Joey, no. He tells everyone there must be a way to reroute the remaining oil around the problem and then goes ahead and tries it. After an hour of working and testing, it did not work, so Joey just towed him to the finish instead. Over 130km though the toughest part of the stage.

Later in the rally he helped a guy who steering head bearings had collapsed. No steering at all. He scolded the man for giving up and helped him get started on a fix in between helping someone else with another problem 200m away. Well who would have thought that that the guy finished the rally 512km later on a jimmied steering head made out of other bike parts.

I realized that for Joey its not about how tough things might get. Its about getting the job done. No matter what.

Its about not letting negative thoughts prevail. About steeling yourself and gritting your teeth and remembering that there is no such thing as can't. That's why we see him whooping when he was stuck in that sand in Stage 3 a couple of days ago. He was whooping himself out of negativity. He was willing his body, which does not work properly on with his mind, driving it relentlessly forward even though it is screaming stop. He draws his energy from God, from the knowledge that his supporters (us) are behind him, and his own inner strength.

I had to smile when Darryl suggested that if it gets too tough he should stop. Darryl clearly could see the physical state Joey was in during his interview. He was undoubtedly exhausted. But the mind behind the exhausted eyes had no thoughts of giving up. Hence the awkward silence, and I think Darryl realized this.  Im sure Joey was smiling, and Darryl shaking his head.

Joey did not get this far to get this far.  That is what is written on the bottom of his road book cover.

Speedmetal, I am fully with you, I really hope...NO... I KNOW he is going to make it.

Lets cheer him on - he needs us now.

Go JOEY GO!!!!!

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #958 on: January 06, 2017, 09:41:48 pm »
And you're surprised!  ::)
The 450 Rally is fast, but not a missile ya know...
They're just cruising now - to prevent more penalties or to give Honda's big brass a chance to say : "Let's fark off" !!

Why would they do that?  I think it's still a great race and maybe the Honda team must man up to their mistake and show some character in fighting back!  The race is far from over.

Did Brad Binder not win a race last year starting from the 26th position?

I'll be really disappointed if these guys throw in the towel.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline SteveD

« Reply #959 on: January 06, 2017, 09:45:52 pm »
Great post BB.
KTM must be feeling the pressure, lots of manufacturers in the top 10.