Dust to Dawson 2006

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnomad

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Right about the middle of June, as close to solstice as can be planned, an event unfolds in Alaska, the lower 48 (what we call America up here) and even internationally, the Dust to Dawson. It's not so much an organized run as a ride your own ride, meet for fun and games in Dawson, take in the scenery and get in some riding. The usual route is to Tok, then to Chicken, over the Top of the World highway and on to Dawson itself. Dawson City is a small Canadian tourist trap located at the confluence of the Klondike and Yukon rivers, a well storied city that was featured in many of the works of Jack London and Robert Service, both of whom lived in Dawson during the gold rush of the late 1800's. For me, it's about 500 miles or 800 clicks, and since I find it akward to ride for 5 hours and then call it a day. I don't camp out in Tok, but go ahead and do the trip in one day. So I found myself thursday the 15th, loaded for my adventure. The Pegaso carried it all brilliantly.

3ccf40b52ae4127e1dde1eab5673fded_8cd.jpg

The border station closes at 8PM, and since I wanted to make sure I cleared the border in plenty of time I didn't make all that many stops on the way up. This is along the Glenn highway, above Long Lake, common type of terrain found on the highway. I've lived here 40 years and still don't get tired of looking at it.

157689043.jpg

157689018.jpg

And yes the weather was doing it's best to suck, rather nicely too. :x

I stopped for lunch in Tok and gave the bike a quick lookover-and found the side cover dangling by one screw! After beer and the thermos bottle, mankinds greatest invention has to be the zip-tie...here they are a consumable item, like duct tape.

157683708.jpg

Beautiful downtown Chicken, Alaska, where the men are men and the woman is really popular.

157697713.jpg

Met some fellow riders at the Chicken gas station. The BMW GS is a popular bike, Legion (advrider) and his 17 year old daughter made the trip from Anchoroage, he on the KTM and she on the little Yamathumper.

6afe63689761dfc9c24b9c31982f52d3_fac.jpg

The Chicken post office, where I was attacked by a labrador carrying a big stick. I managed to disarm the dog before he could beat me with the stick, and tossed the stick away, but he kept bringing it back again and again and again, almost as if he enjoyed such activities...

157689079.jpg

Taylor Highway views, from the paved section-very fast and lightly patrolled-I saw no law enforcement on the road coming or going and made pretty good time.... 8)

157689167.jpg

And unpaved.

157688989.jpg