Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Vietnam  (Read 6992 times)

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
Re: Vietnam
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 06:29:00 am »
only going in dec,hanoi and ha long bay.found a bike rental in hanoi for $7 a day,but still researching
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 05:46:19 am »
Do your research well on Nam, I don't have time now but I think that is where they won't allow big bikes. not sure the size they become big. Heard of travelers being let into the country then a few days later have there bike confiscated.

I am about two years from getting there but if I can solve the big bike problem I would love to ride the country. Lots of my friends were there in the war and some did not come home. I look at riding Vietnam as a tribute to those fought in that stupid war.

RJT
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 12:52:39 pm »
Seems like 175cc is the maximum without major permit requirements...

http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/175-cc-motor-size-restriction-in-vietnam.770/

That's tiny when you are used to riding 1200's.  :patch:
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline landieman

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 07:59:47 am »
want to do the top gear scooter tour thing,not really to fased about the size of the bike

Offline RyanI

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 02:52:07 pm »
My Girlfriend and I visited Vietnam in December last year for two weeks. We arrived there with absolutely no plan - only the first 3 nights booked in a hotel. We packed light so we could ride if we wanted to. We gave ourselves the first day or so to explore and figure out the rest of the trip. After seeing the traffic in Saigon (Ho Chi Ming City) we decided against it and rather made our way on tour busses and public transport. We spent about 4-5 days exploring the south - the Mekong Delta and then made our way to the island of Phu Quoc by high speed ferry. Spent 4 days on the Island and this was amazing. We rented a scooter for next to nothing and explored the entire island which is 70km long. On the main land foreigners are not actually allowed to drive cars or motorbikes even though some do - very few though so I would caution against this. In the Island where things are way more relaxed they actually encourage it. We flew directly from Phu Quoc then to the north to Hanoi. Hanoi is totally different and much colder. We had to buy jackets. It is a little quieter but still crazy busy compared to what we know. There are something like 45 million scooters in Vietnam and a population of about 90million. I saw very very few big bikes. From Hanoi we visited Ha Long Bay for 2 days and a night and this too was spectacular. We spent a night on a boat - thousands of them. Here are some photos - happy to share more info if you need it.   
Yamaha XT660R (2006)
KTM 300 XCW (2016)

Offline Gene

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 03:04:58 pm »
Beautiful pics Ryan1, I am sommer lus to go one day as well, keep it up

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 04:20:53 pm »
My Girlfriend and I visited Vietnam in December last year for two weeks. We arrived there with absolutely no plan - only the first 3 nights booked in a hotel. We packed light so we could ride if we wanted to. We gave ourselves the first day or so to explore and figure out the rest of the trip. After seeing the traffic in Saigon (Ho Chi Ming City) we decided against it and rather made our way on tour busses and public transport. We spent about 4-5 days exploring the south - the Mekong Delta and then made our way to the island of Phu Quoc by high speed ferry. Spent 4 days on the Island and this was amazing. We rented a scooter for next to nothing and explored the entire island which is 70km long. On the main land foreigners are not actually allowed to drive cars or motorbikes even though some do - very few though so I would caution against this. In the Island where things are way more relaxed they actually encourage it. We flew directly from Phu Quoc then to the north to Hanoi. Hanoi is totally different and much colder. We had to buy jackets. It is a little quieter but still crazy busy compared to what we know. There are something like 45 million scooters in Vietnam and a population of about 90million. I saw very very few big bikes. From Hanoi we visited Ha Long Bay for 2 days and a night and this too was spectacular. We spent a night on a boat - thousands of them. Here are some photos - happy to share more info if you need it.   

:drif:  :drif:  :drif: I really wanted to visit Vietnam - now I want to do it even more!
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline landieman

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 07:45:30 pm »
Shot Ryan.what is the visa process like?also thinking of doing saigon and the working our way north to hanio

Offline Offside

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 01:21:51 pm »
Was glad to see this thread as the dream of doing Nam has only recently become a reality for December.
Anyway we have since been persuaded not to do it. It seems it may be difficult to get into the "adventure bike" feel as there is just too much traffic and a real danger of road accidents. (lots of scooters and low priced beer).

We have started looking at Cambodia and it has some good potential for dreaming up an adventure.
Worth a look.

Offline onderbroek

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 03:37:22 pm »
sub

im also planning on hopefully going to asia for our honeymoon in April 2017.

We went to Phuket this year, and it was awesome, just a bit too touristy for my liking, so if all goes to plan i would love to go to Vietnam or Cambodia
hak vrystaat

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 07:56:29 am »
sub

I'm also planning on hopefully going to asia for our honeymoon in April 2017.

We went to Phuket this year, and it was awesome, just a bit too touristy for my liking, so if all goes to plan i would love to go to Vietnam or Cambodia

So we took the plunge and booked the  Flight tickets and one-night accommodation.

The plan is to arrive in Hanoi at about 14:00.

sleep in Hanoi the first night
Get our bike from Flamingo bike rental the next day, load it onto the night train, and head to SAPA overnight on the train,

Maybe spend one night in Sapa and slowly make our way back to Hanoi.

This is about as far as my planning has gone.

stuff we still want to do:

Halong Bay

Ninh Binh and sleep here:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15158961?checkin=04%2F06%2F2017&checkout=04%2F07%2F2017&guests=2&adults=2&children=0&infants=0&s=yv0Y-LXT

spend some time in Hanoi.
If anybody has been there can you please recommend some stuff to do, we will be there for about 13 days. and want to make the best of it.

Then questions I have.( this list will most probably grow)

Visa at RSA embassy cost R900 per person, and we have to send our passports there via courier - I've read reviews on visa on arrival which costs about $35 - has anybody done this before?

hak vrystaat

Offline landieman

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 04:32:05 pm »
the vietnamese consulate in pretoria takes 3 day,and if i remember correctly was about R800?and Hanoi on a scooter is a blast!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Xpat

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:37 pm »
Was glad to see this thread as the dream of doing Nam has only recently become a reality for December.
Anyway we have since been persuaded not to do it. It seems it may be difficult to get into the "adventure bike" feel as there is just too much traffic and a real danger of road accidents. (lots of scooters and low priced beer).

We have started looking at Cambodia and it has some good potential for dreaming up an adventure.
Worth a look.

I don't know - seem like you got some crappy advice. Its true that I have been there (both Vietnam and Cambodia) 15 years ago and I"m sure things changed a bit. But I don't think riding bike in Vietnam is way more dangerous than in Cambodia - same density of population and everybody - including living stock - moving about on the roads. Yes, it is not SA with its wide open spaces, but much more populated area. That said, speed is also much lower and I for one enjoyed riding there.

When I was there I rented Minsk two stroke in Hanoi and went full northern loop to Dien Bien Phu and Sapa for about 3 - 4 days. And it was a blast and once out of Hanoi I didn't feel any undue danger due to traffic (mind you, I have ridden bike in India, Pakistan and Uganda to mention few, so my standards are probably different). I have also spent 2 or 3 days on the island in Hanlung bay - and as you know that is must.

I have taken train down to Nha  Trang and then bus up to Dalat which is nice little town in mountains. I have rented scooter there and went for three day ride through the mountains and coffee plantations. And then I spent some time in Saigon. Overall way too short time (about one week in Cambodia and 2 - 3 weeks - don't remember in Vietnam). But as every country which is long along the north  south axis, Vietnam is very diverse. North (Hanoi) a bit more austere - communist and cold, while south (Saigon) is more or less tropical Thailand.

I"m sure you will have a good time there - I liked Vietnam (proud but friendly people) much more than Cambodia (too poor so even piss poor westerners not good enough for Thailand can get their perverted tastes fulfilled), which I did not expect when I was going there.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 11:20:14 pm »
Came across this article, it's been open in my browser for a month or more now, waiting to become reality  :ricky:

http://www.brake-magazine.com/travel-tour-de-nam/
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline RyanI

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 06:53:04 am »
Onderbroek. You are going to miss a very very nice part of Vietnam by only going to the north. Hanoi is cold and dare I say it a little miserable (weather wise) compared to the south and specifically the Mekong Delta area. We spent about 10 days in the south and then 4 days in the north around Hanoi and had to buy more winter clothes. You also don't see the sun in Hanoi as it is totally overcast. Ha long bay is phenomenal though. Can't miss that.

I'm just saying that if you can possibly get to Ho Chi Ming city you won't regret it and a lot of the interesting things to see are in HCMC. There just seems to be such cool a vibe down south that is hard to explain. That said the south is much busier and will be much harder to ride a bike in, the north is less buys and easier to ride as a foreigner.
Enjoy
Ryan
Yamaha XT660R (2006)
KTM 300 XCW (2016)

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 08:54:14 am »
Onderbroek. You are going to miss a very very nice part of Vietnam by only going to the north. Hanoi is cold and dare I say it a little miserable (weather wise) compared to the south and specifically the Mekong Delta area. We spent about 10 days in the south and then 4 days in the north around Hanoi and had to buy more winter clothes. You also don't see the sun in Hanoi as it is totally overcast. Ha long bay is phenomenal though. Can't miss that.

I'm just saying that if you can possibly get to Ho Chi Ming city you won't regret it and a lot of the interesting things to see are in HCMC. There just seems to be such cool a vibe down south that is hard to explain. That said the south is much busier and will be much harder to ride a bike in, the north is less buys and easier to ride as a foreigner.
Enjoy
Ryan

Thanks for the post Ryan. Im dead keen on visiting the south, i know you can fly down, so if we have time i will really give it a try.

But by the looks of things 13 days will not be enough for everything we have planned.
hak vrystaat