Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Mozambique  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Katuum

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Mozambique
« on: February 23, 2016, 10:12:48 am »
Howzit Guys,
I have received contradicting info (my Garmin maps shows a road, but my T4A shows a road, but it does not go all the way) if one can travel a more costal route from just north of Inhambane to Vilanculos or if you must stick to the boring main road that runs north.
Has anyone travelled there lately and able to let me know?

Would appreciate it.

Shot, tks Peter

Offline Xpat

Re: Mozambique
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:35:35 am »
I've done about half of it off tar in December (still getting there in my RR http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=188438.0) - I had to plot most of the route myself on the Google Satelitte map.

I can send you the GPS route I have plotted (and ridden in two days only about half of it as it's real hard work) if you want, but come ready - it is brutal sand and I was on 690 not 990 (you might be better rider though).

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:54 am »
I will try and find out about the road condition but in the meantime monitor the security situation very closely to see which way it is going.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:56:55 am »
Here is my planned track on dirt tracks along the coast starting in Macaneta just north of Maputo and going all the way to vilanculos. I've managed to ride about half in 5 days of riding.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »
I will try and find out about the road condition but in the meantime monitor the security situation very closely to see which way it is going.

Road conditions are simple, at least on that track - tough sand most of the time, made easier only by rain.

Is there still concern about security - I was there in December and Jan, and the place was swarmed by South Africans all the way to Vilanculos. I never felt any threat. That said, in remote border areas close to Zimbabwe (I crossed at Espungabera) the people definitely seemed more downtrotten and forgotten by government. Still, no problems for me.

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:09:18 pm »
Some trouble in the Central part. Government try to address it. Some reported shooting but not always easy to understand the Portuguese language. In Maputo and surrounds we are fine.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Katuum

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 05:24:40 pm »
HI Guys,

tks for the info, much appreciated.

Offline Kenzogs

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:44:01 pm »
Been asking around from guys who head up that way (4x4) often. There is no "track" as such but there are a number of tracks that interlink and they have been about half way. In some areas they used walking paths to link between two-track. Very sandy and isolated.

Now the temptation is to get there myself and see exactly what is going on.
You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 11:30:24 pm »
From what I've seen there are tons of tracks there, but as you say, they are little double tracks that sometimes haven't seen traffic for a while. While I haven't ridden the whole track I have attached earlier in this thread, I'm pretty sure that it will get you with little a improvisation from  Macaneta all the way to Vilanculos with only few dozen km on tar (Xai Xai, where you have to get over Limpopo - unless there is a ferr somewhere near the coast. and then from Tofu to Ihambane). But it is hard work. I've done about half of it and will be back more fit to do the whole thing. I'm actually quite surprised that nobody seems to be attempting that - if you are into adventure ridding this is much more interesting than things like Sani pass or Baviaans, and will probably blow socks of those Western Coast sandy tracks. Primarily because it is almost all public land, so you can ride wherever you want - try that in SA.

In next week or two I will post quite a few pictures from that track in my ride report that should give you hopefully pretty good idea what it is like.