!! AJP (PR7) Ridden!!!! and factory tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddy81

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
AJP PR7

So here is my full review on the PR7 (still in testing and prototype stage)  and the AJP Factory located in the north of Portugal.  I'll try and describe my day and feelings of the bike as best I can... wish I have done a journalism course...

I'm going to start with the PR7 info first then my factory tour...  

I have been following the build of this motorcycle from the first information that was available on the net.   I was extremely excited receiving the news that I can do a factory tour and see this motorcycle in the flesh.  Especially because there is so little information out there about it.  I really have been itching for some new info.   AND to my great surprise after the factory tour I saw the PR7 being prepped and I got asked:  "do you have your riding gear here, would you like to take it for a ride?"   OH HELL YES!!!!  

The PR7:

The motorcycle was standing open with lots of parts removed, as it was tested the day before on the MX track. This really gave me a great opportunity to look at what is all present and accounted for and what not.  I will be comparing some elements to that of the 690 I had, simply because its the closest motorcycle to this PR7.  But it is imperative that I state that these 2 motorcycles are very different!!  and on a functional level will be difficult to compare.  The 690 is an Enduro bike that gets modded and used for touring,  the PR7 on the other hand is an off-road machine that was designed with touring ergonomics.

Lets Cover the Ride impressions first:

Character...  this motorcycle definitely has lots of character and a hooligan "Dark" side to it,  It has that very European passion character. I have spent allot of times through all the years riding and owning motorcycles to try and determine what that x-factor character is... but still have no idea as to what actually causes that. Maybe it's because MR. Antonio Pinto,  the owner and founder is on the manufacturing floor busy building the motorcycles,  he is involved with developing and test riding the motorcycles.  The person heading the marketing for the local market rides and races enduro bikes,  and the same can be said about the other people in the factory.  One can really feel that there is a passion for motorcycles from everybody involved.  Mr. Mario Figueiras the Director of Sales and Marketing has been riding bikes for many years, used to be in motorcycle journalism and has even done some laps around Kyalami on a Ducati 1098!  

The immediate thought that came to mind the minute I got on the PR7 was: wow! this seat is amazing!! I do know that anatomically we are not all the same... so getting a seat that is comfortable for all will be impossible,  however it is undeniable that there are some seats out there that are just designed to torture,  the 690 is one that comes to mind.  This seat is not just wider but the foam was perfect for my weight.  I think the vast majority of riders will have no need to spend extra money on an aftermarket seat or accessory to make their journeys more pleasant.

The ergonomics, this is definitely where this motorcycle breaks the mold in what has been the industry standard for dual sports and Enduro bikes.  There is allot more room and compares to the "Middle weight" adventure bike offerings.  I think this was a major concern for me, as looking at the pictures and knowing what I do from the 600 and smaller classes, I really expected this to be the same.  You don't feel like you are sitting right on top of the front wheel. It feels allot more F800GS and KTM 990 than WR450F and KTM 690.

I immediately felt at home on the bike,  I have ridden so many motorcycles,  and most of them require a bit of an adjustment period; that stage where your mind goes... that's new, this is strange etc.  I didn't have those thoughts at all,  instead I immediately felt that European X-factor coming to greet me!!  as soon as I left the gate and entered the road I felt my grin starting!  the gearbox felt smooth and clutch felt superb.  And yes...  I think that the Orange "Dark Side" has found another team member, this one being Candy Apple red instead!  I was so tempted to pop a wheelie and get up to mischief but my better judgment prevailed... instead I just focused my energy to make sure I was taking in what I was experiencing.  There was so little vibrations,  in fact the least I have felt from any single over 250, ever!  and well felt as smooth as the CRF250L my wife had.  So no more numb fingers!  I think this has allot to do with the HP on tap,  around 55hp.  I know this might not be a lot by todays standards, but lets just consider the by-product of the Horse Power race, present from all the manufacturers.  Lots of vibrations,  weight, size, fancy electronics to allow people to harness that power off-road and in relative safety, increased tyre wear etc.  

For me +-55hp on a bike that is fully fueled 160kg is more than enough.  

The prototype had TKC80s on and I do hope that the production version will be coming out with these.  They did tell me they intend launching the bike with these as standard and again with 55hp, I think the rear will last nicely too.

The motorcycle felt very stable and think it will chew up dirt miles with lots of smiles.  Standing on the pegs and leaning forward as I was accelerating hard I noticed that the handlebar and screen height were perfect. On most motorcycles I have had ,I have felt the need to install risers.  Not with the PR7.  Also most of the screens on adventure bikes can become bothersome when leaning forward on the pegs while riding "spiritedly", not this one.  The bike flicked from left to right like there was no weight to it but again just felt planted and solid.

Pulling in after my ride, I really was surprised at the amount of joy I felt from riding it.  

Opinions differ greatly in what makes for the perfect adventure bike.  I have spent allot of money and allot of time looking for the one that will best fit me.  I can honestly say that the AJP PR7 is that bike!  Now I must just find a way to park one in my garage!  

They looking at a launch cost of EUR10 000.00,  but still it is early days so may be a bit less.  That makes it cheaper than the 690.

The big thing with regards to this motorcycle is the fact that very little money will need to be spent on it, at the moment it looks like it might just be the luggage rack.  That is a massive thing considering a 690 or a 450 enduro will need allot of money spent to get it to the same specs as this bike.  

But really, having a 450 or 690 and setting it up like the PR7 should not even be considered an option,  as it is almost like buying an F800GS and making it into a superbike to do track days on.  Sure one will eventually be able to create something that will be track ready but one will never be able to get away from the DNA that the bike has...  Yes there really is that much of a difference in the DNA of this bike and a 450 Enduro or the 690.

Here are some points of information:

• So first point I want to make, and it was a big one as it has not been visible in any of the pics.  The motorcycle does indeed have  a full sub-frame,  the plastic tank wraps around it.  The tank does not function as a sub-frame like the KTM 690,  and there are multiple points in the sub-frame already ready for mounting of luggage racks.  This was great for me to see as it definitely has that DAKAR racer look and attitude but can carry luggage. So Expect accessories from leading manufacturers, most of them will be producing for this motorcycle.

• At the moment I do believe it will not have rear pegs so thus be for one-up only.  I personally like this, I always ride alone.  And I just know the argument about "but a 600 is going to be too pap for 2 up riding plus luggage" is completely negated by doing this.  If you want to go two up just look at something else...  This fact has another positive... When companies design luggage racks for motorcycles they always have to move the racks far back to allow for leg room of the pillion.  This can sometimes lead to handling issues when fully loaded without a passenger as the racks tend to carry the luggage either on or usually a bit behind the center point of the rear wheel.  This can only be a plus for off-road touring while fully loaded up.

• The Fuel tank will be accessible from the traditional front position.  Think this is great as I remember what a mission it was on my 690 when I had my tents etc. on the back.  Even the F800GS sometimes made it a bit tricky to get to the tank when refueling. I can definitely see that some 3rd party company might at a later stage make additional front mounting tanks that will fit as there is allot of space in the front for some.

• The wheels are not Excel, however they are works of art at home on a handcrafted European bike!  they have done allot of testing and say they have not found the rims bending and lacking in strength.

• The air intake is right at the top, just bellow to the ignition.  That should make it well protected and out of the way of water!

• The production model will be coming with top of the Line off-road open cartridge 48mm Sachs forks and a Sachs rear sock.

• With Regards to the motor and ECU. They did tell me known issues that were present in the 610, Clutch plate etc. have all been fixed and sorted... And with regards to the motor running lean,  its a bit difficult for them to say at the moment with the EURO4 emission laws coming in.  However they have their own ECU and will be fueling it differently to how it was in the Husqvarna.

• They will also offer the bike in 2 different power options,  one with lower HP for the European license, the other with a Kit that will include a different slip-on and different ecu tuning to give around 55hp.  I know this might not sound like allot,  however after riding it I can honestly say it is perfect for the role the motorcycle will be expected to fulfill.

• They have found a clever way to get around the ABS situation,  they feel that ABS will take away from the concept of the bike, ad costs and weight. So it will be available without ABS.

• The clocks look great and has a very small aftermarket racing style look to it,  what I am not 100% sure of is a big interactive information screen.  This will be an optional item so one can opt not to have it.  But for those that would like to access internet,  work with Google Maps, gps and even watch a movie this option will be available.  For those that would prefer not having this,  a road book holder will be in its place.  I personally would have liked something similar to a Yamaha XT660 Tenere,  just a basic metal bar on which I can mount anything from GPS to an action CAM.  This information screen is Adjustable up or down.  And has a nice looking frame around which will carry a 12Volt socket also.  This, guess one can call it a Tab I'm sure can work great in Europe with all the wifi spots etc.  I do know they are putting allot of effort in developing it,  so the final product will be a really high quality interactive screen.  But again... especially in SA, I'll be too worried that it will be taken off the motorcycle by some guy looking to make a quick buck from selling it.

The Factory:

Upon driving up to the factory I was reminded again why this build is such a great undertaking.  They are a small, humble and close knit team.  There are no big, in your face signs on the outside that this is a motorcycle factory.  But as soon as I entered I could not help but feel like an excited child seeing the Christmas tree lights being switched on for the first time each December!  There is just something amazing about being surrounded by brand new motorcycles!!  

I was greeted with a firm handshake and a welcoming smile by Mario Figueiras, the Director of Sales and Marketing. Right by the entrance, almost ready for shipping is a big order of their PR4 motorcycles.  Completely different colour scheme than what they usually come in, these were in a military green colour as they will be used by a military in Europe.  They are air-cooled, reliable and easy to maintain.   We talked about their PR3, 4 and 5 ranges.  These motorcycles really deserve a bigger market share and more awareness.  They might not have the heavy HP motors as other motorcycles in their classes but suspension, frames and other bits are top quality and rivals any other manufacturer in the world.  

These motorcycles are aimed at the people who are starting off with trail riding all the way through to the more experienced riders that enjoy a ride a bit more on the pleasure instead of the racing side of things.  With all the great trail riding SA has to offer, I think these bikes could work perfectly in the SA market.  Unlike other brands and their offerings that get purchased by people that don't want an all out balls to the wall enduro bike, there would be no need to get the suspension softened up,  seats are allot more comfortable and allot easier to spend a whole day on.  but alas... I would like to carry on about these bikes but then this post will just be way too long, lets move on.

I got to see all the stages in the production of their motorcycles,  the hand welding of their frames,  CAD designing,  machines that do stress testing on frames and other important parts to 3D printing of their prototype stage parts etc.  I was really impressed and interested in their swingarms... There are no welding points as the entire swingarm is cast and so is one solid piece of metal.  Looks very unique and gives the design allot of character.

I really do hope AJP carves out big market share in the years to come,  they are high quality hand made motorcycles.  European exotica on all their models.  But unfortunately,  the motorcycle market is tricky territory, and all too often big brands with big followings are allowed to get away with massive mistakes on motorcycles.  From blown motors because of poor testing and development to other failed parts and just badly designed motorcycles that are advertised to be able to do things that they can in fact not do, poor quality suspension etc.  99% of the times it boils down to the marketing game,  and how well a product can be sold.  

I will always remember my day spent with AJP and the PR7,  great motorcycles and an amazing passionate team.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 4,703
  • IMG_2757.JPG
    IMG_2757.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 4,523
  • IMG_.jpg
    IMG_.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 4,987
  • IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG