Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Royal Enfields  (Read 4035 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Royal Enfields
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 07:52:28 pm »
I belong to the 4x4 community forum but because we have a Forester, I also belong to the Forester forum.

Like in forestry?

Offline ZooDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • ride everything hard
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 07:09:47 am »
Ken im sorry for how some of theses okes have reacted, dont mind them, ill def check your forum out always had a thing for those bikes, goid news is I prob wount leave this forum
TIA. this is africa

Offline KenKZN

• Bike: Royal Enfield (all models)
  • Royal Enfield Lightning
    • Royal Enfield Africa (forum)
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 07:11:58 am »
Thanks to the majority for comments, I missed the storm, I won't lure anyone away 😊
Let's ride

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 08:36:41 am »
So, what is the RE like as an adventure bike?

Offline Tony the Boney

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 09:56:39 am »
I belong to the 4x4 community forum but because we have a Forester, I also belong to the Forester forum.

Like in forestry?

Ja 2SD  :lol8: very funny. Better slide past Mossel Bay and I'll show you what my boom looks like.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline KenKZN

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 11:45:27 am »
if you take an old Bullet 350 or 500 and change the tyres and exhaust, probably not that good by most parameters

The Himalayan will be 10x better than that, it will depend on what's expected of it and how it's treated
Let's ride

Offline Tony the Boney

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 06:08:58 pm »
if you take an old Bullet 350 or 500 and change the tyres and exhaust, probably not that good by most parameters

The Himalayan will be 10x better than that, it will depend on what's expected of it and how it's treated
Quite so Ken. Blazing Trails Tours of the UK being Suzie and Damon I' Anson, run a fleet of 350 and 500 Bullets for the Nepal and India trips. The heights they reach make Lesotho look like sea level.  :biggrin: they say....Bullets are also very tough (a necessary trait on the back roads they like to travel), comfortable and, with a low centre of gravity, are very easy to handle. They just chug along at extreme heights! Visit their web site....interesting. Such a simple machine! Got me thinking!
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline JMG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Miss my orange bike!
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 06:36:30 pm »

Since I saw the first pic of the Himalayan, I wanted one, in fact I want any RE! I not only joined your forum but also posted a link on other forums.. Forums are there to share these things..... Now Q 1, when are we getting the H here?
Honda XR 650L, Royal Enfield 500 classic, TVS APACHE 180, Ktm 640 adventure R, Yamaha XT250.

Offline KenKZN

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 05:41:47 am »
Tony and Jmg you are touching on the awesomeness of RE, they've made such a range of models, there's no end of interesting stories of round the world trips etc. the "flying flea" is a 125 2-stroke which was packaged in a tubular cage and dropped by parachute in war time, and light enough to be carried by a soldier. They made 1140cc V-twins. The Bullet 350 & 500 are legendary for all the reasons you mentioned, Tony the Boney.
The Himalayan is a re-design, I think Pierre Terblanche from Uitenhage may have had a part in it (http://pierreterblanche.com/biography/).
We'll have to wait and see about Himalayan in SA, it is to be EURO4 compliant in EFI format, may be a carb model for India?
Let's ride