Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 LC Trophy edition  (Read 11825 times)

Offline The TRANSPORTER

Re: 1200 LC Trophy edition
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 08:26:10 pm »
My opinion only the one beneath the GS badge if you want to.

I wont put on any stickers but thats just me. ;)
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 09:15:40 am »
As per the previous advice, stickers left off except for below the GS Badge

On another subject, I read that other bikes in Offroad Mode (KTM) & Enduro mode (BMW) rain in the horsepower to below 100.

That means with the Trophy edition it is 125hp on the dirt because of no offroad modes?

Would it therefore be better to put it in rain mode and switch off traction control and ABS?
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Stichhom

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 09:49:52 am »
Hi Gents. I am also the very proud owner of a 2016 Trophy. What an amazing bike compared to the Klr - said with respect. The bike feels extremely lively and nimble. Bike feels it can carry me all day without breaking a drop of perspiration.

I have attempted to adjust the gearlever on the adjustment rod, but the locknuts are too tight for me. Just feels the gearlever is way too low for my boots and makes shifting up difficult.

A bit more concerning for me - I hear a lot of mechanical noise emitting from the engine. It is engine speed related. Sounds like a worn bearing or cam chains rubbing. I test rode a 2013 LC and it made the same engine noise. Was told they all make that noise? I expected this premium German brand to be super quiet. Any information on this from fellow Wild dogs with Trophy`s would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Keep a cool head - life is precious!

Offline charliepappa

• Life's a ride!
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 10:23:26 am »
With some elbow grease you should get them loose.

Regarding the; they all sound like that...unfortunately... ;)
R1100S Sport, R1200GS Adventure, R1100S Boxer Cup, F650GS, KTM 950 SE, R1200GS LC, Africa Twin DCT

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2016, 08:58:02 am »
I have put 1000km now on the demo Trophy I bought, I find it to be quicker than the other two LC's I had.  The Full Spec GS & GSA I had did not seem to be as lively as this Trophy.

Maybe the lack of factory accessory options on the bike make it lighter and a little quicker?

Offline Kuifie

• Brandslang Koning
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ek Laaik Ry
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 11:53:07 am »
agree  :thumleft:
"If the left side of your brain control the right side of your body, only left handed people are in the right mind"

Offline TheBear

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2016, 01:07:51 pm »
A bit more concerning for me - I hear a lot of mechanical noise emitting from the engine. It is engine speed related. Sounds like a worn bearing or cam chains rubbing. I test rode a 2013 LC and it made the same engine noise. Was told they all make that noise? I expected this premium German brand to be super quiet. Any information on this from fellow Wild dogs with Trophy`s would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I think the issue is that the noisy part of the engine, on a boxer, is exposed.  My first GS I  was shocked at the engine noise and, rather dikbek, compared to my really quiet previous bike, the DL1000 Suzuki.  Some oke pointed out that that whole Suzuki engine is directly under the tank and seat which is excellent sound proofing.

Anyway, over the years I got used to the noise from the boxers.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2016, 02:38:59 pm »

Thanks.

I think the issue is that the noisy part of the engine, on a boxer, is exposed.  My first GS I  was shocked at the engine noise and, rather dikbek, compared to my really quiet previous bike, the DL1000 Suzuki.  Some oke pointed out that that whole Suzuki engine is directly under the tank and seat which is excellent sound proofing.

The noise increases over time, I sold my GSA with 37000km on it and it made a lot of what sounded like tappet noise.  The newer bike doesn't sound the same.

Now I also make a point of wearing earplugs so I don't hear it as much anymore either

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2016, 03:13:23 pm »
I have put 1000km now on the demo Trophy I bought, I find it to be quicker than the other two LC's I had.  The Full Spec GS & GSA I had did not seem to be as lively as this Trophy.

Maybe the lack of factory accessory options on the bike make it lighter and a little quicker?

Were the other two also demo bikes?
I.m.o. a demo is not ridden in but abused from day 1, I dont test ride a bike to check its optimal consumption figures....
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline TheBear

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2016, 03:48:39 pm »

Thanks.

The noise increases over time, I sold my GSA with 37000km on it and it made a lot of what sounded like tappet noise.  The newer bike doesn't sound the same.

Now I also make a point of wearing earplugs so I don't hear it as much anymore either

Didn't notice that the noise increase over time.   My LC now at almost 50 000 and sounds like it did on day 1 ..... or maybe my hearing is just growing older!   :lol8:

What can't be argued away is that they are noisy.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:51:24 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2016, 05:18:46 pm »

Were the other two also demo bikes?
I.m.o. a demo is not ridden in but abused from day 1, I dont test ride a bike to check its optimal consumption figures....

The full spec was a Donford Motorrad demo with 7000km on it, the GSA I bought with 34000km on it.  Donford had traded in the GSA and were using it themselves as a rep's bike.

Both bikes went well but the Trophy just seems so much more like a F800 GS on steroids.  Similar throttle response to the 800

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2016, 05:20:55 pm »

Thanks.

Didn't notice that the noise increase over time.   My LC now at almost 50 000 and sounds like it did on day 1 ..... or maybe my hearing is just growing older!   :lol8:

What can't be argued away is that they are noisy.

I just thought the noise was due to tappers that must be set during the 40000km service, there is definitely a quieter engine in the newer Trophy.  Or maybe I just like to believe that  :ricky:

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2016, 08:02:38 am »
I must agree with Meurig on how nippy the trophy is. It feels more "alive" than the GSA in Dynamic mode... Definitely has to do with the reduced mass of the bike without the ESA etc... :biggrin: I love my trophy!  :ricky:
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 03:33:54 pm »
Help me out here-- just bought a second hand Trophy. Buttt it has traction control!!! Where do i turn it off??
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Maverick702

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 03:36:52 pm »
Help me out here-- just bought a second hand Trophy. Buttt it has traction control!!! Where do i turn it off??
Button on the left handle marked ABS. Hold it in for about 2 seconds for TC to turn off. This can be done while moving. Holding the same button for longer while stationary, will turn ABS off.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 03:37:50 pm »

:imaposer: maar congrats! happy smiles!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:38:31 pm by silvrav »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 03:50:22 pm »
Button on the left handle marked ABS. Hold it in for about 2 seconds for TC to turn off. This can be done while moving. Holding the same button for longer while stationary, will turn ABS off.

That sounds the same as the setup on old aircooled bikes. Cool
ETS what is your opinion on the Trophy?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2016, 03:56:52 pm »

Thanks guys. I bought this bike for a moerse bargain to keep at my holiday home. Have a LC with all the bells and whistles as my main bike. IMHO the more expensive one is a waste of money!!! All that the Trophy needs is speed control. MY OPINION........

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2016, 04:03:46 pm »
And.. for some reason it is lighter on fuel than my Top of Range... ok maybe because it hasnt got panniers....

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2016, 04:25:56 pm »

Thanks guys. I bought this bike for a moerse bargain to keep at my holiday home. Have a LC with all the bells and whistles as my main bike. IMHO the more expensive one is a waste of money!!! All that the Trophy needs is speed control. MY OPINION........

I would like Enduro mode on mine