Fort Cunynghame Pass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trygve Roberts

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Each Thursday we introduce a new pass to you guys and this week, it's something a little different. My first thought when I saw the name of this pass near Stutterheim in the Eastern Cape was: "How the heck am I going to pronounce that name?" I tried to wrap my mind around Xhosa pronunciations, but decided to first do some deeper research before I made a complete ponce of myself (which I have done many times in my life!). The riddle has a simple answer. This name is nothing more than an Irish version of Cunningham!

That got me thinking a bit more about the origins of Cunningham and wondered if a smart pig ever came into the equation? But I digress.....

We look back into the heady days around 1876 - of the 9th Frontier War - the Xhosa warrior Sandile  and the well known Battle of the Axe, as we explore the murky past around Stutterheim, it's origin's and the lives of the early settlers who attempted to bring Christianity into this part of South Africa. It was not easy and some went back to their home countries completely dispirited! Africa was never for sissies and still isn't!

The link below will take you to our LATEST NEWS page and from there another link will take you to the Fort Cunynghame Pass page

https://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/news/item/955-latest-news-10th-march,-2016.html