Sharpen the Saw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Stripes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Voxan (all models)
We all know that we often need to look into ourselves. Steven Covey has a very good way of telling us just that. Sharpen the saw. If you donâ??t, you will tire, fighting lifeâ??s battles with a blunt sword. The more you become blunt, the harder you have to work and the less time you have to sharpen the blade.

Not going into personal physics, I decided that it was time. As expected, it took me four weeks to find the time.

Sunday morning was just perfect. Until the American decided we need to go for a hike in the Park. West Cost National Park, that is. I put a weak foot down and faked a hard line. Without compromising, we went our own ways.

I decided too eat healthy, since I have a kilo or five that I am prepared to donate to some alternative fuel facility. Muesli with fat free yogurt. Only one cup of coffee. Get sharp. Lean and mean!

For padkos, healthy stuff. Naartjies, pears, coke light. No calories, no fat, no cholesterol. For desert, nuts. Covered in chocolate, just for the hedonistic past.

I bought batteries for the GPS, packed the camera, looked at Google Earth for the last time and roared off. Iâ??m on my way to Aurora and from there to some place I found on Google Earth. Looked like a huge dance floor from the air. At plus 1000 meter in Piketberg.

There was another aim with this trip. I am planning to take my friends Eisbein, Trainraider, Rooipoot, LGF and a few more on a West Coast tour sometime in September. For that I needed some research. As little tar as possible.

Just outside Langebaan my GPS died on me. Batteries flat. I cursed Spar and switched it on again. It died a few times before I decided to just relax and see what the grindstone has to offer. Letâ??s tune this blade!

The roads in the Sandveld are very nice this time of year. Slightly wet, no dust and just a little bit of mud here and there. As long as you keep in the vehicle tracks, youâ??re fine. No loose sand and a nice hard surface.

Passing the Berg River.

DSCF1610.jpg

I plan to stop at Aurora to get money from the ATM and go the local Spar and get new batteries. Big joke. No such thing in Aurora. Peace and quiet is all you get.

Outside town the fun started. Google didnâ??t lie; you climb steep on a winding road. Sharp bends and a stunning view of the Sandveld and the Atlantic in the distance, make it a worthwhile trip.

DSCF1617.jpg

DSCF1612.jpg

DSCF1614.jpg

DSCF1615.jpg

DSCF1618.jpg

As usual, the frustration is that pictures canâ??t do justice to the scenery.

DSCF1622.jpg

DSCF1626.jpg

I stopped at the â??officeâ?, but no-one came to my rescue. I may admit that they didnâ??t have a chance. â??Theyâ? were not part of the plan. I drove on and became speechless with the scenery in front of and below me. I got off the bike and took a pear and coke light with me as I head for the highest point. Pears are not good companions on a bike trip. They just get squashed before you sharpen any blade. The chocolate seems to do the trick. We can learn from that.

The naartjies have so much juice, you pee too much.

DSCF1620.jpg

Will have to rethink this whole health thing.

The dance floor turned out to be a radar facility.

DSCF1627.jpg

DSCF1628.jpg

DSCF1624.jpg

On my way home I stop at the office. Just for my conscienceâ??s sake. I got the treatment and the information. No road down to the other side, so this road will not do for the trip. Keep on grinding the blade.

DSCF1629.jpg

DSCF1632.jpg

DSCF1634.jpg

The Atlantic in the distance.

DSCF1639.jpg

On my way down I started to think about the blade. Nothing came to my mind. Absolutely nothing. No life changing insights. No earth shuttering, divine intervention. Luckily this was just a small portion of the berg. I will just have to come again. Maybe take it from the other side.